Soundscapes

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

Cochise

Soundscapes

Post by Cochise »

Hi.

Trying to learn how to build my own patches, I'm now like at a deadlock.
Can't succeed in going further on the quite simple sounds. Tones slightly evolving in the short time.

So I'm looking for any advice about patching wide background sounds having smooth deep changes in the harmonic structure during long lapse of time.

I'm wondering if granular synthesis could be the answer (but what about the sound sources?) or if I've to move my attention to the world of samplers for this kind of sound textures.
Or maybe looking for the way to match the two things up toghether...

Beyond this specific issue, I'm feeling the need of improve my knowledge about sound design, so any advice about books, websites, or any other knowledgebase is also really welcome.
Cochise

Post by Cochise »

Thank you very much for your advice, stardust.

Would you point out any patch I can get as an example?
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

almost any source synth will do... slow slow lfo like mentioned above on various params... then i like chains of fx like a massive reverb --> two or three serial pitchshifter, vinco, more reverb etc .....

maybe not so efficient for lives, but for recording purposes it works great.
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

and dont forget Morpheus!!

general tip; put a Matrix in there to easily send modsource around without rerouting...
Cochise

Post by Cochise »

Thx you all. :)

I'm still far away from building what I'm looking for but not at the deadlock any longer. Thanks to your inputs I'm experimenting with better sounding patches.

@ stardust

stock synth? :-?
next to nothing

stock synth = synth which is supplied with your scope card.

This is depending on your setup though; if you have a 3 DSP card you would need to buy the synth II package to have access to Lightwave , which i sort of dont recommend... there are better alternatives.

Come to think of it, i dont understand why SC dont make this a free package for all.
dawman

Post by dawman »

There is an evolving soundscape patch I learned a great deal from that came in Flexor III called SeaSynths by some guy named Assaf, whoever he is.

It is a great example on evolution type pads that shimmer with BP tones, using 5 SAW Osc's detuned. The speed of the Triangle LFO's can vary the sound to fit your needs, as well as the filters cutoffs.

I love layering this type of patch over my ARP String Ensemble library, I use the SSB Modulator on the samples, and put SeaSynth's variations the way it was built w/ no effects, just the stock patch for extra movement.

I like taking vintage sounds and freshening them up like this. It takes approxiamately 22 seconds to hear the sound completely evolve on my ARP example. So my ARP Strings through the SSB Modulator go left to right 4 times during this, for a really beautiful sound.

The Flexor III guys did a really good job with this upgrade.

Using patches as a tutoral is perfect for me. Cause when I try to read about creating these, my head starts spinning.

They say you should make your own, I say take a pro patcher's work and tweak it, as I do not have time to learn this deep approach to synthesis.

But I have the utmost respect for the guys that do these creations.

I have played with this patch and added different Osc's, LFO's, and Filters. For 5 months I have used only a minute amouint of the patches this came with. Maybe in another year or so, I will have learned enough to hear what's in my head and apply it in an empty shell. Until then I shall enjoy this awesome application and it's approach to rolling your own.

When I can add such beautiful sounds to my synths and samples using Flexor III patches, I doubt I will stop to try and analyze, but rather keep tweaking these beautiful creations and make music.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Also incredibly FAT and beautiful is the Sound Nebula, and Alfonso's awesome Oxyde patch.

The first one is by that Assaf guy whoever he is.
next to nothing

"The first one is by that Assaf guy whoever he is."

I hope youre joking :D
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Scope4live never jokes :D
dawman

Post by dawman »

It is a failed attempt at humor.

To pretend you don't know the genius who brought us Flexor 1,1.5, and 3, was suppose to be funny.

Kind of like the Las Vegas tour guide ,....who says this whole town was purchased by Howard Hughes in the '60's,,.......whoever that guy was.

I wish to intertwine John Bowen, SpaceF, Wolf, and ReD_MuZe under the Prowave 1_2 Modular hood.

Strength And Serious Honor,
next to nothing

:D
dawman

Post by dawman »

Got it working !!

It actually takes away from both synths IMO.

The Prowave loses it's unique sound, and the FIII patches lose their quality. It is a unique combination for sure. More sonic possibilities.

But I will try building something different.

Flexor III patches just sound so different than the other offerings we have, I will keep them as they are.

I do wish to take Faxinadu's Secret Pond and see what happens when extrenal WAVE Oscillator gets tagged with the PMod I & II knobs.

I am becoming a sick individual just like you guys now.

When I first joined I only wanted FAT SHIT. Now that I've got that, I want more. Just like the cards, give me more DSP's, more this, more that.

I need a shrink.
Cochise

Post by Cochise »

Right. My system has become pretty stable (still some problem when running near DSP limit) ; I learnt lot of the modular workarounds, then I often know where I've to put my hands when anything goes wrong.
So time might be ripe for Flexor 3...
Just... 6 DSPs only are still a poor platform. Moreover I wanna further acquire experience in combining and intermodulating basic waveforms and frequencies, till I'll get articulated, thick tones. Then I'll be ready to add FX and to blend them in wide, complex, morphing sounds. :D
Last edited by Cochise on Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

That guy named Assaf, whever he is, made his patches for the sole reason of fitting onto a 6DSP card.

A considerate guy for sure.

ReD_MuZe would be proud.

Hey I hope you get it. FIII really sounds much better than plain old Modular.

But my ears are my talent, not my knowledge of Modular.

It is a consuming endeavor 4 sure.
Cochise

Post by Cochise »

piddi wrote:and dont forget Morpheus!!

general tip; put a Matrix in there to easily send modsource around without rerouting...

Thx, is a great patch. Not that easy to me to interpret, at first sight :roll:

About the Matrix:
I downloaded the J9K's. Got the version used in the Morpheus v2, cause I was thinking all the modules used in the patch were needed in order to load it in a project ( but i probably was wrong cause I forgot about the VU meters, but they're nice flashing in the patch all the same).
That's probably an earlier Matrix version; knobs are at zero when in central position and go up if turned both left or right; and I wasn't be able at all to understand the behaviour of the master knob.
So which version of the matrix you suggest, considering I'd like to use it also for audio signal (i.e. leveling OSC output to send to a granular sequencer or a quad crossfade modulator)?
Last edited by Cochise on Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cochise

Post by Cochise »

scope4live wrote:That guy named Assaf, whever he is, made his patches for the sole reason of fitting onto a 6DSP card.
I trust you, but, the sole reason :lol:
ReD_MuZe would be proud.
I was finally thinking that Assaf was the name associated to the nick ReD_MuZe ...really confused now.
Hey I hope you get it. FIII really sounds much better than plain old Modular.
Even the previous version was of course a great value added. I'll get this last as soon as I can. Just puzzled in which line I've to write it in the 'next to buy' list.
But my ears are my talent, not my knowledge of Modular.

It is a consuming endeavor 4 sure.

Ears are the first talent. All would be cold without.
But experience is the crown.
Yesterday I was checking out an only just completed patch.
Unluckily I'm not that good at keyboards. My ears suggest me right notes, right joystick movements, but my hands often move the wrong way.
So I was just wondering that patch played by you. :roll:
hubird

Post by hubird »

Cochise wrote:
scope4live wrote:ReD_MuZe would be proud.
I was finally thinking that Assaf was the name associated to the nick ReD_MuZe ...really confused now.
he just tried us... :-D
Cochise

Post by Cochise »

scope4live wrote: It is a consuming endeavor 4 sure.
That's of course the reason why I'm looking now for knowledgebase.
I'm very used to the tries and errors method, but it's greatly time and endeavor consuming.
Moreover, in a scenario where things are not running perfectly fine, tries and errors can drive me mad. It needs an absolutely stable base IMHO.