What is your favorite sequencer to use with Scope

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

What is your favorite sequencer for 2008/2009?

Cubase
47%
Ableton
10%
Reaper
7%
Samplitude
11%
Cakewalk
11%
Logic on Mac
8%
Looper (Acid...)
1%
Non VST application (native modular stuff etc..)
1%
Hardware sequencer only (MPC etc)
3%
Mixed Hard and software (MPC style or else)
3%

Total votes: 103

HUROLURA

Re: What is your favorite sequencer to use with Scope

Post by HUROLURA »

Not that Vintage setup for me so: Logic 4.8 on a PowerMac G3...

CheerZ
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Sequencing on MV-8000 for everything or RS7000 (for electro style)
mroekalea

Post by mroekalea »

Using Cubase 4.5.2, upgrading to C5 soon!
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

My main sequencer is Ableton. I find it works well with the Scope cards.
valis

Post by valis »

Scope runs in secondary PC (P4-era Xeon box) with Bidule on-top as a plugin host (when needed). Logic 5.51 is still installed on the Scope box but rarely used these days.

Main rig (modern 8-core Xeon) runs my favorite sequencer: Logic under 10.5.5 (or sometimes Reaper under Xp32).

Ableton Live often runs on the laptop as both a loop creation/editing tool and an externally triggered sampler & plugin host.

Sometimes i use only Scope on 2nd PC with Traktor Pro on main rig, and Serato Scratch Live on the laptop. This is for dj'ing in the studio, along with 2 technics and a cheap dual cd unit and some outboard synths & gear. Ableton sometimes replaces Traktor Pro on the main rig for the 'live remixing' thing, but this takes so much setup for Ableton's portion it isn't worthwhile for something that isn't going to wind up being done live.
greenbluegold

Post by greenbluegold »

[quote="spacef"]
ableton looks cool with the akai controller, and it is on special price now... [/quote]

Why buy a junky akai controller when you could spend a couple hundred more and get some real mpc mojo (2nd hand)?
valis

Post by valis »

I'm not sure if I'd use their controller for studio work, but it sure looks like it would streamline things when using Live in a "live" situation. It certainly doesn't displace the monome etc either, given that it's intended for a very specific workflow and would free them up for specialized tasks. I do wonder if the build quality is improved over the MPD32 though, even thick molded plastic isn't going to last very long for portable fun, one place where the MPC's definitely have a leg up.
spacef

Post by spacef »

greenbluegold wrote:
Why buy a junky akai controller when you could spend a couple hundred more and get some real mpc mojo (2nd hand)?
Actually, I had an MPC at home for a week end 3 weeks ago, I had a blast with it, like back in the days when computer was a vague thing that even Jean Michel Jarre didn't want to use (or said he would never use :-) Especially like how i could sequence stuff on the mpc and play LBH VIII on midi, and get both of them working together.... I don't need much more to compose personally, may be add one or two synths and guitar/bass...
But there is also a time when i need to go back to the computer, and work structures of a track. That's where the Akai thing becomes sexy, to launch patterns and try things at post production stage.
But as i don't have ableton (i must have the LE on various CDs from my keyboard or else) and never really had the time to get into it, i will pass... + it is much bigger than i thought at first glance: i am not really a hardware guy because i like my home studio environment to be minimal. The number of vstis that i bought and like but didn't reinstall on my new computer is quite high...I am evaluating the ones that i need, and the ones I don't, when the idea is to get all on scope because i think it fits my way 500% better than anything else in software and hardware and i don't need or like or use XTC anyway + I need to be able to records several takes of singing/guitar/bass in cycle for the whole songs... that's a lot of megabytes, or gygabytes, of audio to be tracked down to keep the good parts...
But in the same time, playing with LBH VIII on the keyboard, and with a sustain pedal, i can havea free left hand to launch variations on drums: that's where ableton controller becomes interesting to launch various clips as improvisation... but as i said... it won't make it here...(LBH VIII is more or less the only thing i use in scope nowadays - half a song done and showing up as a single midi track in SX, wicked :-) ).... eager to see xite at home! so i can add a few things on that big device and add it to MuliSynth too ....

I ordered Cubase 4 upgrade, just to see if it takes me to experiment more in XTC and control panels... may be C5 in a few month, but i may not need this... i mean, i don't even know if C4 works with all complaints around, but for the hard disk track mixing, , and the pattern view (something i am looking for since i stopped using Notator on Atari)....
I have a whole LP to mix down, i am giving myself 4 to 6 month max to finsih it and write a few other ones, so i took the easy way of C4 as i know this program.... (the delay in the post prod of those track is because i needed a few instruments to lay down new tracks better and, re do a few of them better.... those are the devs i've been doing in the last year and a half, lol, crazy :-)

So that's why an MPC is not on the list right now, even though i agree it is very nice to program and have fun with...
spacef

Post by spacef »

it could happen....
:)
LHong

Post by LHong »

Used to be the Cubase for Audio and Cakewalk for MIDI Apps!
Cakewalk/Sonar for now, since it supports ASIO/VST/VSTi!

Long
Jonathan T

Post by Jonathan T »

SAWStudio with Midi Workshop for me

Jonathan
astroman

Post by astroman »

same here, but without MWS :D

cheers, Tom
spacef

Post by spacef »

wow , saw studio: 2500 USD without midi !?! :o
Why that ?
astroman

Post by astroman »

just needed something to fit the MonsterCable that connects my bass...
nah, kidding
the $ 300 Basic version is perfectly ok for me ... :D
but I wouldn't mind an upgrade to the full blown thing either (in case I need)

cheers, Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

spacef wrote:wow , saw studio: 2500 USD without midi !?! :o
Why that ?
because it's a fully suported pro app that is never supposed to become obsolete....
spacef

Post by spacef »

garyb wrote:
Why that ?
because it's a fully suported pro app that is never supposed to become obsolete....
Application obsolete ? it 's the processors that become obsolete, not the apps.... I have used an atari + notator until 2 or 3 years ago, sold it because the parallel port for the dongle was nuked....
and was still on SX until... today :-)
anyway... it doesn't have midi, may be they have superior audio conversion as they say (seems to be the only real thing in it).

So I will should rise my prices, that's the thing to do to reach consumers marketed brains....
Or make sure there is no support anymore and everyone gets fucked on xite and pays again... :-)
nice idea :D
Last edited by spacef on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

They were in every showroom in Vegas for years also.
It's a local company that has Bowenesque type of customer support.
Usually I saw these attached to a Sony DMX console, which I believe was 48 tracks.
It works really well with surface controllers, and even the old Yamaha's like the O1V's and ProMix's of yore.
Another example of " old outdated " apps..... :lol:
garyb

Post by garyb »

spacef wrote:
garyb wrote:
Why that ?
Application obsolete ? it 's the processors that become obsolete, not the apps.... I have used an atari + notator until 2 or 3 years ago, and was still on SX until... today :-)
anyway... it doesn't look good , may be they have superior audio conversion as they say (seems to be the only real thing in it).
sure. cubase vst is considered obsolete....
logic 5 is considered obsolete....

most app developers expect you to buy a new version in a year or so....
spacef

Post by spacef »

by who ?
its you, the consumer who need something else and bite on marketing stuff,... many musicians don't care if an app is 1 or 10 years old as long as it does the job....
But most people don't have a clue how things work, and don't want to understand and dig in them....
What you say is right though, that's how brains work and receive marketing messages....
but i get the message...
Last edited by spacef on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

mehdi, of course i agree with you.
i know you know what i'm talking about, however.