Cubase 4.1.2 UPDATE

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

braincell wrote:You have a lot of nerve to comment on recent Cubase upgrades when you don't even use them! I am very happy with their progress. The 4.1 update offered a lot of new devices, better sound quality and new features and it was free.
i have used SX3 at my partners house for months. Didn't get on with at all so decided to stick with something that worked simply. That combined with their general attitude with their "Dear valued customer" BS and yes, i haven't tried 4 because of that.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

braincell wrote: I don't even visit their forum since I never have a problem with Cubase and can figure everything out.
Bully for you.
braincell

Post by braincell »

That's funny. I was unhappy with Cubase after the Atari version until the SX versions. I did have something wrong with a Creamware board(s) that I no longer use. It caused constant crashing about every 10 minutes and I seemed to be the only person with this problem in this forum. Now that I removed both of the cards ($2,000 wasted), my system is stable with the newer Creamware cards. That was expensive and nobody cares.

Perhaps you too have one of the original bad cards that I had?
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

The only crash with Creamware card i've ever had is with the Modular system, perhaps with STS too (it's been a while since i used it). Yes it would be nice to have things like that fixed, but that's not really a show stopper for me and i've had a stable system since 2.04 on a Mac with Cubase VST3.7 i think it was. i've followed Cubase since the Atari days too, and for me they've just lost the plot.

It's nothing to do with crashing - i just thought SX was crap, then they're customer service just became a joke. You might say the same about Creamware, but Steinberg are supposed to be a major player and certainly have a higher profile than Creamware ever would, so i expect better.

I've gone from Mac to PC, VST5 to SX3 back to VST5, tried reaper, Samplitude 10 etc and the one working constant in that has been my Creamware cards - the rest is just i don't care about as long as it works.

i think you must have been unlucky with your cards and maybe if you had exchanged them at the time the next ones would have OK - of course this is easier said with hindsight as you probably thought it was user/computer problems rather than the cards. Have you tried using the cards as expanders to your current good ones?
braincell

Post by braincell »

It's true what you said. Yes I tried them as expanders. Right now they are sitting idle in another computer that I never use. It worked alright for light tasks but with 11 DSP chips, I expect a lot more. It would be nowhere near the DSP peak when I would get the blue screen of death.

Now I never get the blue screen of death unless I shut down my computer without first closing Scope. That is kind of annoying and it seems like back programming to me because nothing else does that.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

braincell wrote: Now I never get the blue screen of death unless I shut down my computer without first closing Scope. That is kind of annoying and it seems like back programming to me because nothing else does that.
Are you running XP? On the rare occasion i shut down without closing Scope first i just get the Scope window and the Scope message about saving the project or not. If i dive in quickly at that stage nothing untoward happens. If i don't it still shuts down. i have never, ever seen the blue screen of death on my computer with regards to anything, let alone Scope.
braincell

Post by braincell »

Yes XP.
garyb

Post by garyb »

the asio and seq midi modules are the actual physical ports for the application in the virtual world. when you close scope first, you close those ports, creating a paradox for the sequencer application, "where are my ports, which i have but don't have?!" and so it crashes, and so does everything else....or kinda like that..
hubird

Post by hubird »

On OS9 I also had a hang if closing Scope first.
Hence I enjoy it now to close or change Scope project without bothering about the right sequence, now that I'm on two computers :-)
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

dunno whether this has been spotted already or not...

but steinberg released a hotfix called 4.1.3.853 today. not a word concerning asio, though...
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

stardust wrote:
kylie wrote:dunno whether this has been spotted already or not...

but steinberg released a hotfix called 4.1.3.853 today. not a word concerning asio, though...
Version_History.
I read that. where exactly in the 3 lines concerning fixed items in 4.1.3 did you read anything about the issue with asio that was discussed here?

I see just

- crash while freezing - fixed
- dropped notes under certain conditions - fixed
- crash while exporting (mixdown) - fixed

:wink:
--
spacef

Post by spacef »

does it work with scope now ?
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

spacef wrote:does it work with scope now ?
don't know. I had the hope somebody would check that. since I don't have 4.x I can't test it myself.

-greetings, markus-
--
spacef

Post by spacef »

kylie wrote:
don't know. I had the hope somebody would check that. since I don't have 4.x I can't test it myself.

-greetings, markus-

mmm.... my sx2 which doesn't work anymore (for some reason, midi is bad). I can't get much done in reaper, I miss my cubase environment....
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

No, it doesn't. Ralf is in contact with Steinberg regarding this issue.
spoimala

Post by spoimala »

Marvin wrote:No, it doesn't. Ralf is in contact with Steinberg regarding this issue.
He was? Did he find something out? A solution maybe? :P Maybe the reason for delay with scp5? :roll: Just hoping...
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

Me too. After reading all comments at the Cubase forum I'm lucky to stay at v 3.1. 8)
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

I never understood what the hell a Scope user needs Cubase 4 for if he has SX3...