Athlon or Intel?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

maket

Post by maket »

Happy New Year all!
Please,give me recomendation which chip is better: Athlon or Intel(4)?
For Pulsar use of course.
LHong

Post by LHong »

Intel P4.
No ideas why, it just works well!
Funktastico

Post by Funktastico »

For use with Pulsar, your processor type doesn't play as big a role as chipset does. I'd go for AMD XP processors because it's so much cheaper and more powerful than Intel, but make sure you get a motherboard with an AMD 761 or Via KT266A chipset.

Toni L.
http://www.mp3.com/NativeAlien
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Got a AMD Athlon 700Mhz and it works well with the Pulsar ,but if you have some Via Chip´s in your Comuter your are fu.... up because there are problems with the Pci capability.For example the Prisma,a quite nice little Synth and a huge modulation matrix.I load it with 3 Voices I can handel maybe 4 or 5 with my SRB board,but if I play 3 voices Pulsar will crash with the Message Pci overflow,thank you. I can play the prisma monophone at least,Ha Ha.
So be careful because you will get no solution from Creamware because there is no solutaion anyway.
at0m

Post by at0m »

So you'd like your card compatible with any pc, well, a F1-car wouldn't keep track on a VW-Beetles tyres, mein freund.

People who buy DSP cards are putting lots of their money in that, a fractiion of that will be necessary to get a decent motherboard.
Same goes for the CPU: nobody's running Celeron, for audio processing you want a PIII with all the L2 cache you can get.

Have fun.
Akuma

Post by Akuma »

Well I think Pentium are really starting to get a bit too much now with their prices. It was understandable coupla years ago that a Pentium was always best and that Celeron was this, Cyrix was that etc etc. AMD have really done well for themselves and have processors that stand up to Pentium 4's and at a cheaper price. Go for AMD. The days of Pentium are becoming numbered :wink:
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

While AMD has a stronger chip for past/current applications, they really do lack a reliable and robust <i>platform</i> for their excellent (although <i>hot</i> running) CPUs. Intel platform (ie: i815, i845D, i850) is so much more mature, solid, reliable. If you just want an extremely reliable working system the choice is still Intel quite clearly. But AMD's latest dual processor solution (AMD760MP etc) is looking really good. Plus as P4 ramps in MHz and applications become more optimized for it's new architecture, we will see the P4 once again stomp. BTW: P4 2.2Ghz is currently <b><i>THE FASTEST DESKTOP CPU</i></b> (yes faster than any Athlon) although quite a bit more expensive.

This is just the way Intel works: a premium for the fastest chip, and reliable, mature platforms. And AMD: make cheap, fast chips with little or no thermal protection, no CPU core protection (broken cores are common with AMDs - Intel uses a "heat spreader" which protects their core, and clock throttling for thermal protection), and AMD also doesn't want to make platforms except to "seed" the market. The last item is what bothers me the most about AMD.

But I still love AMD Cpus, they really are awesome for the price. :smile:
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

On 2002-01-05 14:03, subhuman wrote:
BTW: P4 2.2Ghz is currently <b><i>THE FASTEST DESKTOP CPU</i></b> (yes faster than any Athlon)
is p4 2.2 works on P4T-E?!

thanks
sandro
sinix

Post by sinix »

P4T-E will accept a 2.2 or 2.4 with a bios update... as far as I know, this update is now on their website.

As soon as the 2.4ghz are out, I'm replacing my p3 800 as it's starting to show it's age.

Intel's roadmap expects 3.0ghz by the end of this year! They (Intel) continue to predict they can solidly keep up with Moore's Law until atleast the yr 2010 and most likely 2020, so expect the speed of processors to continue to double about every 18 months.

- sinix
Yoonchi

Post by Yoonchi »

On 2002-01-05 14:03, subhuman wrote:
Plus as P4 ramps in MHz and applications become more optimized for it's new architecture, we will see the P4 once again stomp. BTW: P4 2.2Ghz is currently <b><i>THE FASTEST DESKTOP CPU</i></b> (yes faster than any Athlon) although quite a bit more expensive.
Maybe this was up to a couple of days ago. You should check the AMD site for their newest CPU, :lol:.
This is just the way Intel works: a premium for the fastest chip, and reliable, mature platforms. And AMD: make cheap, fast chips with little or no thermal protection, no CPU core protection (broken cores are common with AMDs - Intel uses a "heat spreader" which protects their core, and clock throttling for thermal protection), and AMD also doesn't want to make platforms except to "seed" the market. The last item is what bothers me the most about AMD.
Frankly, it doesn't matter to me if it has all that technology or not, :grin:. Because, when you buy the CPU, it's already worthless, :grin:.
But I still love AMD Cpus, they really are awesome for the price. :smile:
I support AMD just because they are not into the blurp business like M$ and Crapple are, :lol:.
Yoonchi.
at0m

Post by at0m »

Anyways, get as much L2 cache as you can. L2 is used for floating point - audio. CPU's prestations will be lots better for audio. 512kB L2 per cpu is recommended!
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

i see, this things are changed every day :smile: so, what's the best "intel" and what's the best "amd" configuration for pulsar now?!
sandro
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

sandro this information will always be listed on http://www.infinitevortex.com :smile: All systems tested for use with Creamware. VIA KT266A has been tested but will not be available from us. Athlon MPs have been tested and might show up sometime soon.
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

i have your site in my favourites :smile:
you have 3 configurations there.
p4 2.0 - but isn't the best now!?
amd 1.5 - is it the best now?!
sandro
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I have to test each change to make sure everything still works well. This takes a lot of time. The tech world moves very quickly, when really, you can produce an entire album (40+ channels, 44.1khz, 16 bit) with an "old" CUSL2 and a Pulsar card. :smile:

<i>Maybe this was up to a couple of days ago. You should check the AMD site for their newest CPU,</i>

Nope; the Intel P4 2.2 is still slightly faster than the Athlon 2000+ in nearly all tests. Of course, P4 2.2 also costs quite a bit more than AMD 2000+, as you always pay a premium for the lastest & greatest from Intel, where AMD has a more linear price scale on their CPUs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2002-01-09 12:41 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

WayneSim

Post by WayneSim »

Cool overclocking story....
I believe the P4 would have died in the ass after this test. Yeah great speeds but what about how stable it run. World records are nothing if you can't preform that speed everyday in your PC.

Go AMD....
Go Watercooling....
Go Overclocking....
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

LOL Atomic

It is Finnish - nobody but Finns understand Finnish :smile: The language is as far from the other Scandinavian languages, as Chinese is from English - REALY. If I remember, I will ask my Finnish girlfriend to look it over, next time I see her (at the earliest next weekend). Did you see the English summary at the buttom of the page?

Immanuel