What Style do you identify with?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

My strange STRANGE musical past... I started off on a cheap yamaha keyboard, copying game music.. Then moved on to a yamaha synth, with fusion in mind, then switched to sy99 with techno (old techno) in mind.
But that's when I started breaking and the balance in me shifted towards a different direction. Hiphop, R&B, and then breakbeats. I made a couple of house friends in college and that got me deep into house. But while I was doing house, I also had a couple of jazz friends and I jammed with them alot. And in the meantime, I was taking pure classic classes and that got me into orchestration and stuff. And at the same time, I started singing in an acappella band so my vocal/chorus comes from there (half from the classic class). I also started playing congas during college so that shifted my keyboard playing a little towards the latin direction.. So you can see alot happened to me during college. I went to a computer related department, appearing to do computer music, but actually just fooling around with my breakin' crew.
Now, I look at my own style, I see lots of funk/jazz/hiphop in the way I build grooves, and then lots of soul, disco in my melody lines, and then lots of jazz in my chord progressions. My brass/strings style is a mix of classic and disco.
Boy am I a mixed up fella. hehe.

I'm graduated now, and as y'all know I do film scores every so often and events here and there. I guess I'm not so far up the food chain yet cuz I baaarrely make a living. Oh, I need a girl, a steady composing job or a record deal, and a life. Can those coexist?? hehe.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2001-12-04 02:02 ]</font>
hairbrain

Post by hairbrain »

Nice to see what pulsar peeps are into...
I started out as a funk drummer, then flipped out and gigged as a jazz pianist, until getting into hip hop around 1990. Then my head completely exploded when I whent to my first illegal warehouse party. Ever since I have been a tekno junkie. My tekno has got to be intelligent, tripped out, and hardcore though, none of this boring club stuff.

I've always identified more with the illegal party sounds than with the club sounds so I don't really go for the boring pumpy pumpy dance music people pay £15 to get into a club and dance to. The underground tekno scene has always been uncompromisingly experimental and hard as f^"ck. This sums up my stuff...

Uncompromisingly experimental, hardcore, tripped out, and created to make you want to dance. As long as it fits this mold I veer from DnB to Gabba, from Tekno to just plane strange. My music aims to please the body, soul, and mind at the same time... it's easy when you know how:)

Orbital, Bassment Jaxx, Craig David, etc are all a bunch of rubbish... the best tunes always were white labels. Unfortunately you had to be underground to have ever heard them... they never got played on radio1 :wink:

Tekno was never meant to be unemotional and 4x4 predictable barn dance stuff. It's just that was the type of tekno which made it into the charts. Check out Bola (skam) or Reload (infonet) to find out the true emotional range of tekno. Take some acid, pop round my place and I'll spin some tunes... then maybe you'll understand that... just as Kenny G isn't `Jazz` so the best of Tekno was never available OVER the counter.

Actually this is the reason why I'm putting together a huge vinyl collection. Just like Blue Note did before me I have a feeling that an important slice of music history is about to be rewritten and the truly brilliant pieces of tekno are gonna be forgotten. Blue Note set about recording the great Jazz artists before they died. I'm collecting the great tekno tunes before the vinyl gets melted and forgotten... important historical stuff. Yes it did happen and it was so much better than just boring old orbital or the orb. These guys were merely inspired by the tunes they heard at the parties, they copied the sounds... but couldn't copy the vibe. The spiral is still alive.

thanks for the rant... I really enjoyed myself :wink:
RedSun

Post by RedSun »

Well, it all started a long time ago. Some friends of mine wanted to start a rock band and, none of us knew how to play anything(silly kids!). Having always liked all things technical and electronic(I used to tape game music from my Apple II+ and Amiga), I took some classical piano classes(it's chalenging to play and I could easily reuse my chops on a rock synth line). That band didn't work out: It seems that I was the only one motivated enough to learn how to play...

Years later, I played electric bass and some guitar in a gothic metal band.

Last year, I bought a new soundcard for my computer(mostly fot gaming purposes). It came with a bunch of demo software but one grabbed my attention: Acid DJ. Still being curious about computer music, I installed it and an hour later, I'd managed to make some interesting music. I then upgraded to Acid Music and Acid Pro3. Meanwhile, my gf brought me a demo CD from a magazine she got at work. Most of it was boring with the exeption of Fruity Loops(generator plug-ins( hey!, I can control those knobs with midi... coooool! what??? no honey, I won't go to bed yet. I just want to try one more thing... :smile: )). It reminded me of a tracker(buzz) one of my coworkers showed me earlier but with a more intuitive interface. Now, I mostly use Fruity as a generator and make my arrangements in Acid. Acid is far from being the ideal software for that task but, I got used to the interface... At this point, I'm starting to think that I need a good soundcard to put my old synth and guitars to use.

Then, it happened! I finaly got in touch with an old friend of mine that I had lost sight of two years ago: marcuspocus. It didn't take too long before he showed me his CreamWare setup. In about 15min, I was convinced that this was what I needed. My first Luna II should be delivered in a few days... :grin:

In the past years, I've listened to just about every style of music, from everywhere except maybe for Country, Rap and some Hip-Hop. Lately, I've been more into Trance, Trip-Hop, Downtempo, a bit of japanese pop music and some portugese jazz.

So, what style of music am I gonna do with my Luna? I guess it'll depend on my mood but it's probably going to be ranging from classical influenced to Trance and Trip-Hop, while remixing a demo for my guitar player from my Metal days. Maybe, if we manage to find enough time, I'll do something with marcuspocus...
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

I'm kind of bored so I'll put down some artists that I like, and probably have had influence from.

James Brown (kicks ass!), Bill Evans, Stanley Clarke project, George Duke, YMO, Dennis Coffey, Incognito, public enemy, mobb deep, daft punk, Parliament Funkadelics, kool and the gang, earth wind and fire (LOTS of them in my music), prodigy, art of noise, Dr. Dre, bunch house music I don't know who made, Stevie (of course), Billy Cobham, Zapp, Sugarhill, Queen, brass construction, Brian Mcknight, take 6, vox one, Herbie Hancock (almost forgot!), Carlos Jobim, Jamiroquai.. And LOTS of game music.

Pretty strange mixture but you sort of get the idea.
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

Well, well. Nice and very interesting topic...

About my music: Preferably harmonic, melodic and always a bit spacier sorts of ambient, (electro-)trance(-techno) and dubby breakbeats as well as some hiphop. But I´m not fixed to anything of those, still drifting among the styles I like to take a bit of many. And together with a friend I´m also into some bluesrock/d´n´b mixed style or with someone else doing more hypnotic, strictly meditative electronica...

About me: I never actually learned any instrument except for that obligatory fluting in the early years of school. But I sung in school´s choire for about two years. (1st voice!, and my father has been a very good flutist and tenor singer at the church longer than I can remember)
:grin:
I made my first moves in electronic music editing on an Amiga500 with "Octamed", a very advanced mod-tracker, ca. 10 years ago, but I was quite dissappointed by the lack of power of those days´ machines and lost interest after 2 years and turned to different hobbies and my parents forced me deeper into school matters and away from the computerstuff (at least they tried...)
Ok, so I was only some music-consumer, listening to a very wide range of styles: from Eagles to Judas Priest, from Roxette to Joe Satriani, from Kruiz to Jean-Michel-Jarre, also some of the NDW-stuff like Peter Schilling, or some few musicals ("Cats" is my absolute favourite!). Then, in the early nineties I was on a giant rave in munich´s old airport terminal building (25000+ people on 6 floors and really f*cking cold winter outside!)
That was some experience that changed my life as it changed my view about "dance"-music (in fact, there was d´n´b, gabba, rave, techno, hardtrance and cosmic soundfloors, no "dance" at all...)
I started going to several clubs frequently and getting more electronic music, but yet quite blind-picking, where I came across stuff like Leftfield, Massive Attack and Synaesthesia.
This was the point where I first thought that music generally might perhaps be a way to go and I started mixing my first tapes, just with two usual CD players and a *very* crappy stone-old mixer. But really many people that listened to those tapes were completely amazed and kept telling me that I actually have the right feeling for such things.
But still I did not really think about doing this actually as a job. I worked as a truckdriver for nearly one year, then I switched over to computergraphics (what I had continued doing since school), then came armytime. Meanwhile, I took my little soldiers´ money to the stores and bought loads of CDs, a nice Vestax doubleCD-deck and a better mixer and practiced DJing every evening after work for those ten months. I played my first official gig as DJ exactly the first day after army, and it was a great success in the matters of personal feedback!
Kept DJing for 2 years without anything else, then bought my first synth (legendary JP-8) to learn about the "professional" way to make music, also getting used to handle those keys that never were a friend of mine before (´cause my older sister had learned piano ever since I was small, and she really got on my nerves with it!)
Tjaaa, since then I consequently stacked up my equipment, improving my skills and gathering all useful knowledge as I am sure by now that I´ll keep the direction. I´m going to have a "real" studio in january or february, and by chance I will start the audio engineering course at the local SAE next march. We´ll see.
Pffhh, long story. Hope you´re still awake...
:lol:
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Hey, Joeka, how d'you end up with a studio? You bought it by youreself? Or are you going to use a place that is owned by a label? I really do wonder how people end up with such macho setups. :smile:
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

Just a nice rented room, equipment will be mine mainly and that of two friends... everything starts small. Macho setup? How do you mean that? I just want to go a more professional way than I did so far and the right place for all this is the next neccessary step of evolution.
Or how am I supposed to record a real band´s stuff in my livingroom? Neighbours might get angry then...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JoeKa on 2001-12-15 00:43 ]</font>
RedSun

Post by RedSun »

Sometimes(getting such a "macho" setup), it's just a question of time, lifestyle or creative habits.

It has it's drawbacks though. Try to explain to your insurance company that you have so much computer & music equipment, that it's not for business use and that your hobbies are computer networks and electronic music instead of going to bars and drinking like everyone else... I had to call just about every insurance cie in my area before finding one willing to insure all my equipment.

BWT, I do have a life and enjoy a good port and cigar with some friends. I just don't like to drink too much. :smile:
Eurocide

Post by Eurocide »

Pre-world-war-III style.
A meltdown coagulation of darkwave/gothic/ebm/industrial with cyberpunk short stories and sick ideas.

Greetings,
Eurocide-HQ
"Never send a human to do a machine's job" Agent Smith

<a href="http://www.eurocide.com">www.eurocide.com</a>
wayne

Post by wayne »

I like good music. I am a professional musician in Australia, started playing piano & tuba almost 30 years ago, soon after grabbed a guitar, a bass, a trombone,a Roland Drumatix, a Korg Polysix, a banjo, some drums, etc. Anyway, I feel that if music can do something for the community around you, it is good. I hear the 'why' coming through loud and clear - so music made purely for commercial reasons doesn't do it 4 me! Old-fashioned, i know but, hey, i was born in '65!
kiminet

Post by kiminet »

I was through many styles.I´m a composer as well as musician.I play almost every day some hours on acoustic piano classical and
jazz.I bought my first synth i 75 and I played a lot of keyboards during a couple of decades (I´m very very old).I have pretty much roots in the the fusion from the seventies.I compose electronic music classical and jazz and everything between these genres.
Besides from the black and white keys I also
play flute as a second instrument.

Kim
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Anyone new people that haven't written here yet? It'll be cool if this thread can become the ever growing PlanetZ "citizen" list.
eliam

Post by eliam »

I started on drums and played for some 12 years... I studied pure sciences and jazz drumming at the college. Then I began to sing a bit, playing flute and composing. During that time I mostly listened to progressive rock bands like Genesis, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Yes... Peter Gabriel influenced me much. Actually I had a progressive rock band with Marcuspocus...
Then I decided that I wanted to compose songs and complete music -not only drums. So I kept singing and playing flute, learned saxophone, piano, composition, orchestration, which I keep up today. I stopped playing drums, though, I find it too brutal for my harmonic and melodic aspirations...
Three years ago I had the chance to hear a symphonic orchestra performing live here in Montreal, and that what was quite a revelation to me. This music entered into my emotional body and healed many things within myself. I knew then that nothing can approach the power of a classical orchestra. And I know that someday I will compose for and play with such an amazing ensemble...
For now, I stay busy putting up a piano-voice show, playing bass clarinet, (I love it!) and configuring my computer to create orchestrated arrangement of my compositions and print all the parts... I could not do without these computer tools now that I've tried them!!! If I listen to music, it's mostly classical or other peaceful, non-intrusive music.

Viva la musica! :grin:
kurst

Post by kurst »

I see alot of people makin the same music as me in this forum :smile:

Well I started as rhythm guitar in a death metal band when I was 15, I jumped from a band to another until I departed from home to the university. I started at 18 a black metal band in wich I firstly played guitar and vocals and then vocals only. After various releases we started to insert electronic stuff into our music and the love for synth music started :smile: In the same time i started 3 projects, Natura Oscura (a strange mixture of old style techno, goth rock, classical atmospheres with female and growl vocals), Feuersturm (a "joke project"...techno hardcore with sampled guitar and distorted vocals) and Spolia Voluptatis (a sort of Dark Ambient with noise influences and inserts of war marches, gregorian choirs, very drum oriented too...). Now all these projects are disbanded and I only play vocals and programming in a EBM/indus band, "Strolling With Scissors". We are making alot of live shows but still have to finish the recording of our first cd... I hope to finish it one day :smile:
Kalinski

Post by Kalinski »

hi

in the main i am a breakbeat man. from slow strange dub to hard and fast drum and bass, and pretty much everything in between!

peace

k
Tony B

Post by Tony B »

Only one man talk about reggae:(:(
I am into reggae and soca the music we in the Caribbean plays for carnival and parties. I love to listen rock music.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Wow! Raggae.. that's something we don't see much of in PlanetZ. Welcome on board! Any music we can listen to?
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

What a great idea to post this question.
For me, I must have a split personality at least.
My main love includes Tangerine Dream (46 albums), Redshift, Air Sculpture, Ian Boddy & Ron Boots, Interface, Zen Paradox, Jon Serrie for space music, Kraftwerk and the class electronic acts from Derby in England - Andy Pickford, Bekki Williams and Asana (ambient with attitude)! There are many more but give me a good mellotron and some TD like sequencers and I'm in heaven.
Going on from there I love current club stuff but don't ask me to name names or whether it is techno, rave or trance etc (I'm getting too old for this game). A good solid 4/4 kik, a 303 and some rasping saw waves and it's almost, but not quite heaven. You young guns ought to listen to Rubycon from Tangerine Dream to see where it all comes from (no presets, no drum machines, no digital!!!) Who do you think forced the manufacturers to invent midi? Who used modulars first? Tangerine Dream (well if not first, they did it the best) Try a Redshift CD and you'll rewrite dance music!
The final side of me is more "refined" - Clannad, Maire Brennan, Enya, Capercaillie, Iona and Davy Spillane PLUS the Norwegian/Celtic mix of Secret Garden.
Mind you, I'd never try to recreate Davy Spillane's Uillean pipes on a Pulsar Platform.
So, as I get older by the minute, look for me on the Tips & Tricks forum begging how to use effects and get that perfect club mix.

Neil B from Stoke on Trent in darkest England
samuel40

Post by samuel40 »

Hey Guys very interesting reading. i do gospel rnb and hip hop/rap also soul and reggae

my music is created from a wide musical base. i love all types of music from country to folk and classical, i alwayls say good music is universal.
caleb

Post by caleb »

I seem to switch hats as I go on, but I'm not one who even knows what labels to apply to music half the time.

I had eduction in classical music and I tend to like clear melodies and harmonies and many of the songs I've written have been "pop" music I guess. However, not boyband or girlband type of pop.

Most of my compositions have had pianos, string sections, flutes etc..

I experiment with dance music because I believe there is more to music that a melody and it gives me a chance to explore rhythm and movement in different ways.

However, my music can also get quite experimental, mixing electronic and accoustic sounds together in an attempt to create an atmosphere rather than a song as such and I have recently been asked to do some small pieces for television so am quite happy to develop that side of music production.

What would I like to be able to do? I'd love to write (and play) like Tori Amos. If I could write a piano part like she can I'd feel like I'd really made it whether I ever sold anything or not.

Enough from me. Hey, maybe members of this site should have a profile and then all this kind of information could be made available to everyone rather than just buried in a thread somewhere. Sound interesting??
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.