What Style do you identify with?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

After a couple of posts in the Music thread I started thinking about who listens to the stuff we're all so courageous to put up. I realise that Techno is the most popular music for computer musicians but are there some who use the Pulsar and whatever software you might have to make music in another direction?

Call me curious!

Paul
Are we listening?..
mano

Post by mano »

well my music is electronic, but I dont do dance music. Lots of strings ensembles, piano, deep warm distorted pads... sometimes drums (not always)... Melancholic and minor, deep and slow.

... I'd say "Dark Orchestral / Industrial".

But I am not one to put etiquettes on stuff so I dont know.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mano1.com on 2001-11-26 16:49 ]</font>
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

I'm almost all electric, electric guitar, electric bass, electric piano... :smile:

BTW, i liked very much your last music post Paul! THIS is music i listen to! It reminded me Uzeb a bit! I love Fusion, but a BADLY miss a band, or at least a drummer to jam with! :grin:

We are not alone playing real instruments man, Ken Suguro also play some instruments, Alfonso (the Mod2 wizard)... I like techno, but just for the fun of it, i like also DrumNBass-Jungle kind of stuff.
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

I am first and foremost a drummer. My initial musical roots are in punk rock, then hardcore, then more jazzy stuff and experimental rock. then i got infused with electronics and picked up synthesis and sampling. I am now still into jazz and hardcore, but also drum n bass and electronica. i still play real drums of course! :grin:
garyb

Post by garyb »

i'll post some works in progress soon....mostly reggae and some hip hop er rap production......
Noctulius

Post by Noctulius »

Mostly gothic (darkwave, dark electro, ethereal), metal (industrial metal, black metal, progressive, dark metal, doom etc...), industrial (industrial metal, industrial noise) and ambient (dark ambient). I do it all. %)
Funktastico

Post by Funktastico »

I'm a raver babyyyyy... :smile: so hard house/trance, techno is what gets me going in clubs where I spend my weekends.

I don't have much free time to listen to music but when I do it's experimental electronic / ambient, lush house, or even classical, depending on the mood I'm in.

Toni L.
http://www.mp3.com/NativeAlien
junklight

Post by junklight »

I tend to describe my stuff as dark ambient. Its fairly industrial I guess.

(check it out on my website if you like)

Post by borg »

i started out playing air guitar while judas priest, metallica, iron maiden, black sabbath and the likes, i was twelve and we are in 1984 at that time. a few years later i bought a real guitar and when i was 18, my interests changed to space rock, industrial, and discovered stuff like pink floyd, zappa,... a few years later i bought a sampler for the band i was in at that time (a blend of jazz, trash, dub, space, industrial). by that time, i also discovered music like autechre, jeff mills, unit moebius, scorn, speedy j, the orb, hab, stuff from warp label). after the sampler came a tr505 drum machine, a cheap multi effect, an atari, bass synth, desk,... so i forget about the guitar, until two years ago, i started listening to some bands i didn't really like before, but was ready for at that time (stuff like sonic youth, motorpsycho, residents, emocore bands, john fruscianti, modern classical music,...). recently i bought a cheap trumpet and i'm even getting some nice sounds of it as well!
in 2001 i bought a second hand Mac G3 and took my first little stepsi in the digital domain. i started reading magazines like computermusic, and after reading a soundcard special in CM, i thought 'hey, i like this creamware card', got to the bank, and bought a pulsar two classic. i got some cracks like logic and cubase, tried them and now i'm still waiting for the cubase i bought allmost a month ago (couldn't get a thing out of logic without the manual).
these days i make lo-fi guitar ambient (lots of delays (love the infiniti), reverb, heavy processed trumpets and vox), make occasional some kind of electro-jazz/rock à la tortoise, trans am, golden, red snapper.
when i go electronic, i sometimes make the harder kind of techno music, but most of all i like brewing a pot of underground electro mixed with d'n'b, heavy hiphop beats, weard sounds, melancholic synths, and recently some funny moments slip in as well, which i thought was unapropriate before. maybe it's because next year i will be thirty and i'm starting to see things somewhat different now...
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
borg

Post by borg »

i started out playing air guitar while judas priest, metallica, iron maiden, black sabbath and the likes, i was twelve and we are in 1984 at that time. a few years later i bought a real guitar and when i was 18, my interests changed to space rock, industrial, and discovered stuff like pink floyd, zappa,... a few years later i bought a sampler for the band i was in at that time (a blend of jazz, trash, dub, space, industrial). by that time, i also discovered music like autechre, jeff mills, unit moebius, scorn, speedy j, the orb, hab, stuff from warp label). after the sampler came a tr505 drum machine, a cheap multi effect, an atari, bass synth, desk,... so i forget about the guitar, until two years ago, i started listening to some bands i didn't really like before, but was ready for at that time (stuff like sonic youth, motorpsycho, residents, emocore bands, john fruscianti, modern classical music,...). recently i bought a cheap trumpet and i'm even getting some nice sounds of it as well!
in 2001 i bought a second hand Mac G3 and took my first little stepsi in the digital domain. i started reading magazines like computermusic, and after reading a soundcard special in CM, i thought 'hey, i like this creamware card', got to the bank, and bought a pulsar two classic. i got some cracks like logic and cubase, tried them and now i'm still waiting for the cubase i bought allmost a month ago (couldn't get a thing out of logic without the manual).
these days i make lo-fi guitar ambient (lots of delays (love the infiniti), reverb, heavy processed trumpets and vox), make occasional some kind of electro-jazz/rock à la tortoise, trans am, golden, red snapper.
when i go electronic, i sometimes make the harder kind of techno music, but most of all i like brewing a pot of underground electro mixed with d'n'b, heavy hiphop beats, weard sounds, melancholic synths, and recently some funny moments slip in as well, which i thought was unapropriate before. maybe it's because next year i will be thirty and i'm starting to see things somewhat different now...
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
Micha

Post by Micha »

Deadhead. I like Oregon, Jarrett, Debussy, Kronos Quartet, Mothers, Baba Maal, Irish, Chinese, Raga, House.
Started with piano, beatband at school, guitar duo now.
Profession is programmer/admin.
Just wanted to clean my old tapes with the best card. Ended up with Pulsar.
Slowly now gettin into synthesis, Logic and mastering. No more way back to "simple soundcard". Too amazing.
On the way to my style.

Happy pulsaring
Micha

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Micha on 2001-11-28 04:12 ]</font>
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

It's my heart responsible for the musical style I follow... It all started with Kraftwerk and their 1980 tour they visited Poland with their 'Pocket calculator' sung in ... Polish (!), then I heard Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze and more German artists (but not only: an American Larry Fast aka Synergy etc...). It was some years that Depeche Mode rulled my heart but then I heard old Cure (17seconds, Faith), joy Division, then all 4AD stuff (Cocteau Twins, Clan of Xymox, Wolfgang Press, Dead can Dance, This Mortal Coli etc.) this leaded me to more guitar world: King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Sonic Youth, Velvet Underground but also Popol Vuh, Gong, Brainticket (!), Aphrodite's Child and more experimental: Residents, Throbbing Gristle, Can, Holger Czukay, Coil, Kronos Quartet, Steve Reich (if you can put them all in one drawer). Last years are FSOL, Orb and and Journeyman, Amon Tobin ones. So all of this influenced my music which is electronic but based on human emotions...
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

This thread is very very interesting! It let people know each other a bit more.

Samplaire, i've listened to almost all the same bands as you! Most of them, i still listen to them these days...
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Having started this thread I should tell you what it is I identify with.
I mostly listen to Jazz-fusion, Prog rock and modern classical music.
Having studied composition at McGill University, I try to apply some of the acquired skills in electro-acoustic music as well, so music like Mario Davidovsky's and Tangerine Dream's does spin on my CD player as well.
Ain't we got fun?
Are we listening?..
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

i was born long, long time ago on the beatyfull island...... actualy, i like britney spears!! :wink:
coc999

Post by coc999 »

I could not describe music i do,i use electronic and i also try to put some acoustic sounds i say sounds cause i can not pretend that i know to play an instrument(I was playin too much basket ball when i was youngeeeer).Let's talk about influences ha ha ha ha.For me it is from A to Z.A like Africa Bambaata to Z like Zulu nation and beetween a and z i love people like Sly and Robbie,JJ cale,Nico( african electric guitar legend),Francois Kevorkian prods,the specials,stax records,acid trax from chicago .... to much good music guys i stoooooooppppp here.
An interessant discussion people from Pz :smile:
at0m

Post by at0m »

I started off with ska, punk and some hardcore:
The Specials, UK Subs, SubHumAns, (UK) Sick of It All and the Ramones,... I still have the dreadz from when I was 15 and into Ska :smile:
At that time I had also discovered techno, from a nearby underground station. And not form commercial radiao station. I listened to trance music, and figured out envelopes, modulations and fx without the actual instruments, I could not imagine what it would look like. I got into ol'skool Detroit, minimal techno. Jeff Mills, Joey Beltram, Claude Young, Kevin Saunderson, labels: Soma, Reload, F-Communication.
I bought an MC-505. ALthough it's kind of a silly machine (prêt-à-porter;), every function in the machine seemed so logical, and I learned all about midi and sysex.

Later I bought Fruityloops, another revelation. Simple but exciting program, I've jammed on it for days in one go, record the load, and cut/paste/mix later. I've never made that loud music again ;( I don't really like hardcore techno- but that's what came out of Fruity when I touched it. Lotsa tweaks tho :grin: Best fun I ever had on pc music.

I would most definitely like to make agressive techno with some real ruff and percussive tweaks. Infinite loops that are no loops but rather continuously modulated and grooved percussion (qua envelope, not sample). Some cracking deep sub bass synth, like in some DnB.

Don't be scared now, I listen (and always have listened) to a very large range of music, cos I like music so much it. If I put on like The Beatles, I'm with them on that Magical Mystery Tour :wink: I like Leonard Cohen although he can't really sing. But he has that 'naturel'...

Or gimme Moby or Daft Punk, my all-time artist examples. Or Stacey Pullen, Juan Atkinson,...

Still looking for those ol' skool detroit techno methods :cool: I'm not afraid of being a style hunter, cos whaatever I do I have a broad musical background and my music will be a synthesis of that background.

I think I might wanna do Subversive Industrial. Might wanna do some light jungle stylish thingie.

But whatever I wanna do, it often, turns out to be totally different, no prob, the road is wide open! I really feel I have all the means and knowledge necessary now to do my own productions.

I want my music to be played loud. I love the power of sound. the trancey effect it has on me. The focus, the four-on-the-floor beat, body modulating and anticipating to the music.
I love it, when like in Orbital's music, all coming soundscapes are predictable. Not because I know them, not because they're standard transitions, but because it's all prepared/embedded in the song, built into the music, so there's no other way for it to go- but obvious evolution!
Amazing is that we can anticipate to what's coming in their music, without them using standard patterns or sounds. Makes it sooo sweet to dance to...

Wanna burst on the dancefloor, close my eyes and freak out... Watch it - keep the distance

the atom.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: at0mic on 2002-03-22 23:26 ]</font>
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

i don't like techno and rave! this is intersting but this kind of music can't turn me on. so cold for me - brrrrrrr...! but i have band "kvartet gorgonzola" and we mix traditioanl dalmatian (croatia) choirs with some kind of trip hop, hip hop, grooves loops and electronical efects!
i listen everything from "a" (abba) to "z" (zappa)!
somebody here write "stax record"! yes i like otis redding, aretha franklin, w. pickett, carla thomas, e. floyd... and "motown" supremes, m. gaye, four tops, smokey robinson, s. wonder..... i like english pop music from 60's: beatles, hollies, manfred man, hermans hermits, searchers, kinks, bee gees... "moods": who, small faces...r'n'b from 60': animals, stones, yardbirds...cream... american groups from 60's: byrds, mammas and pappas, lovin' spoonfull, simon and garfunkell, buffalo springfields... doors, walvet underground, santana... "folk" dylan, joan baez, peter, paul & mary.... seekers.... music from 70': p. floyd, t.rex, zeppelin, deep purple, black sabbath.... "blues": j.lee hooker, moody waters, bb king, sonny boy.... i like presley, sinatra, diana shurre, kd lang, l. armstrong, ella fitzerald, billy holiday, julia london, ray charles.... "country": emmylou harris, w. nelson, patsy cline, j. cash, linda ronstadt..... i like new pop music: morcheeba, stereo mc's, fat boy slim, mobby, garbage, smoke city, ronny jordan, incognito...... and the best band in the world for me now is: "renzo arbore l' orchestra italiana!!!
sandro

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sandrob on 2001-11-30 11:39 ]</font>
Frontline Studio

Post by Frontline Studio »

Style?

Well, the music I play is mostly ambient, progressive house, trance, lounge(-ish), new age (not the dull stuff :wink: ), all with jazzy/funky/groovy influences.

If I read it clearly, there is an idea to create some tracks with the forum members. Great idea, but who does the actual composing / mixdown / producing? Or do we all need to file in a track which can be chosen from by all the ohetr members. Still: who does the actual producing then?

If I miss the point, please bash me for it. :smile:
CU,

John.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

My favourite style of music is 18th and 19th century classical, but what I play is rather different.

The style was influenced by early electronic outfits and punk. Bands like the Human League (anyone remember Empire State Human ?), Gary Numan, Ultravox, Throbbing Gristle, Kraftwerk, Front 242 and Devo. On the punk side there's groups like the Sex Pistols (of course) Sham 69, Expoited, the Rezillos, and the Cockney Rejects.

I played live in a lot of all-electronic bands in the pre-techno (and even pre-MIDI) days when the music was called things like electro and cyberpunk. I was always trying for a hard edge.

These days most of the music happens in the studio. The Synchrotron is great for the hard-edged electro sound I've been chasing for years. I also do dark soundscape, sci-fi ambient and even a touch of techno-country. But more lucrative is the supply of basic loop building blocks to a local studio and a lot of web-based low-K low-fi.

Which brings me to my "what bugs me at the moment" off-topic plug: when will Pulsar sequencer modules (or any Pulsar device with a sequencer) get an "export audio" function ?