Sick and tired of messed up presets

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Can anyone write a tool to "fix" preset files? I am so sick of them getting messed up... It's really wierd. I'm working on the presets with 1 instance of the patch. Then, I save, and load a second instance of the patch. The presets are already broken. But, for some reason, they work fine in the 1st instance of the patch. I resave a bunch of times... It's just the same. BROKEN.

It's either certain modules in my patch got messed up during the save, or it's just internally messed up all over the place.. There needs to be a way to fix this than to re do every single preset! This is so un-productive! grrrrrrr
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

ok... I think I've found the problem. The problem is with the patch itself. Modules get messed up from time to time.. they're there, and functions properly, but aren't seen from the preset file. When that happens, any presets created with those modules in it, will become obsolete. Saving and reloading won't do any help. You'll need to replace the modules, and start your presets from scratch.

But this is too stupid. There's gotta be a smarter way to do this.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

How to hunt for obsolete object:
Close and reload the patch before you start to make presets.
You will get the "XXXX% compatible" thing. Just load.
Then, create a brand new preset list.
Create 1 preset with any parameter.
Go back to the patching window and move a knob.
Check in the preset window that the "compare" text turns yellow. If not, you've found the obsolete module.
Do this for every single module in your patch.

Problem is... you've found your messed up module, but sometimes replacing it won't help. I just don't know what's going on...

DUHHHHHHH, it get more dumber the more I find out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2003-04-04 01:25 ]</font>
eliam

Post by eliam »

Same thing happens all the time with mod2 here. This is somewhat embarassing indeed! And it's weird that it comes out only now...
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Of course, this is probably one of the many bugs found in Mod2.. Now I've got a patch that just won't accept presets no matter what.. The patch works, just that there's no way to create preset for it. Anyway, if there's any way to solve this, I'd be more than happy to find out.
stw

Post by stw »

On 2003-04-04 14:41, kensuguro wrote:
Of course, this is probably one of the many bugs found in Mod2.. Now I've got a patch that just won't accept presets no matter what.. The patch works, just that there's no way to create preset for it. Anyway, if there's any way to solve this, I'd be more than happy to find out.
That really makes one sick! I spent days for finding any kind of workaround but nothing worked at last. Most disgusting is when everything is fine one time and really all settings are properly restored (even the ones which have been messed up before) and the next time you get the compatibily error which happend two or three times now on the same patch for me. No matter if i use a ModIII or Mod2 shell. No matter if i create a new Preset list or exchange modules. Simply nothing works.
What partially solved my previous problem is removing any Controller setting which caused a problem when parameters are restored at the visible level of a module but not in the signal path. I asked for some assistance at creamware but i got the impression that they don't do anything what could help nor do they verify the probs. And that makes me really angry
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

It seems that now people are getting into ModIII more that bugs are starting to get noticed. i've loaded patches that say stuff like 'only 97.12% compatible' and such like. i thought it was just me and my Mac system. Another very annoying bug (which I think is limited to SFP on Mac) is that any patch that uses wavs, such as 808 Groover, comes out sounding like white noise. Anyone else had this problem?
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Samplerate maybe? Those wav are 44.1, are you in 48?
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

No, I always work in 44.1 to keep life simple.
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

one thing I notized is when you're using the midi clock module in your patch, it's good to set it to "internal".
In "external" mode BPM display is always flickering around a little bit, so if you save a preset and later reload it, maybe the bpms don't fit into the actual midi clock time or so...Anyhow, since I did that my patches presets are 100% ok.But there may be 100 other reasons for the bad behaviour kense described (eg project size, patch size, what modules you're using (SampleDrumOsc!), extensive or unusual patching (but this is why we are using this beast isn't it) or whatever).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: roy thinnes on 2003-04-15 18:08 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: roy thinnes on 2003-04-15 18:09 ]</font>
Michu

Post by Michu »

Ken, i found
that one way you can get this error for sure
is to change anything in structure of patch
after you saved a presetlist.

ie it makes sense to start making presets after you are sure you have the right structure.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

On 2003-04-16 18:30, Michu wrote:
Ken, i found
that one way you can get this error for sure
is to change anything in structure of patch
after you saved a presetlist.

ie it makes sense to start making presets after you are sure you have the right structure.
...and take in count also adding or changing cables.
eliam

Post by eliam »

That would explai it but this is not what happens to me. Even if I change only knobs position it won't reopen a single preset other than the last I made before closing the program... :/
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

I don't know if it's of some relevance, but as i never experimented such issues, any possible check up item could be useful..

after you added or changed preset, do you save the preset file again? it's not saved with the patch as with the older modulars, but it's a referenced file.

do you save it in the "presets" folder? this is important somehow, as I remember some weird things in the past when I had some M3 presets in a different dir., expecially with xp.

If you find any of these conditions not saatisfied occurring together with your preset problem, try to do as suggested.
eliam

Post by eliam »

"after you added or changed preset, do you save the preset file again? it's not saved with the patch as with the older modulars, but it's a referenced file."

Once I saved my patch as a .dev, I create a preset folder with the same name and store each preset there. The preset file is saved in the sfp preset folder. Am I doing something wrong? I really hope so!
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

On 2003-04-19 19:08, eliam wrote:
Once I saved my patch as a .dev, I create a preset folder with the same name and store each preset there. The preset file is saved in the sfp preset folder. Am I doing something wrong? I really hope so!
Save the preset file in the SFPPresets folder directly, without creating a separate folder, giving it the name of the patch.

I didn't understand what do you mean with "folder with the same name and store each preset there". You can store an entire preset list (file), the single preset is just saved in the list...and anytime you make a new preset, you must resave the list.

As i said, i'm not sure what's the prob, but...try.
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Same with my stuff here, to date, never had any problems with mod2 or mod3 presets files...

I keep it simple, saving preset file in c:/sfp/presets, the preset have the exact same name as the dev, and everything's ok.
stw

Post by stw »

On 2003-04-20 05:04, marcuspocus wrote:
Same with my stuff here, to date, never had any problems with mod2 or mod3 presets files...

I keep it simple, saving preset file in c:/sfp/presets, the preset have the exact same name as the dev, and everything's ok.
Believe me... nothing is ok at all. I tried everything what can be tried to get it working. But it won't! If you like download the Monomorph from the Modular Patches area and try to create a working preset file for that. If you succeed you'll make my day. Otherwise i can send you a variation of that patch which i'm working on right now. In that one everything is fine with the presets except the insert effects are not restored (which worked fine in a previous version).
This whole story doesn't follow any rule. One time a single module causes the trouble at another point a bunch of modules doesn't work. One time you're working with a patch all presets are restored fine if you load them the next day they're corrupted. And absolute no explanation for this.

Regards, Stefan
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

Do you have this problem on all M3 patches? what with included CW M3 patches?

If you try them and report could be also useful info and a test tool that is the same for all of us, a good number of patches that we all have...
stw

Post by stw »

On 2003-04-23 04:56, alfonso wrote:
Do you have this problem on all M3 patches? what with included CW M3 patches?

If you try them and report could be also useful info and a test tool that is the same for all of us, a good number of patches that we all have...
No i don't have trouble with all patches and up to a ceratin point i have no trouble with my own patches as well (you might have seen the Morpheus which didn't surprise me that way). But for any reason the problems arises one time and you don't have a chance to fix it. That means the whole thing is fu***d up from now on. As i said i couldn't find any rule for that behaviour. Of course chances to slip into trouble increases with the amount of modules and connections one uses.
As i mentioned in my previous post: If you like download the Monomorph and try to create a working preset file for it. Then you can see if the trouble shows up on your side as well.

Regards, Stefan