appreciate Frank Zappa music ?

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

foie_gras

Post by foie_gras »

just to know... as to me , i really do.
zezappa

Post by zezappa »

a lot, indeed! :smile:
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

:smile:
foie_gras

Post by foie_gras »

one of my favourite tunes : moggio, envelope,
marque son's chicken, amnerika, the girl in magnesium dress... what do you use creamware stuff for ?

hi, "legros"....
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

I have almost all his albums and so many bootlegs I stopped counting...Don't get me started on Uncle Frank! :smile:
Are we listening?..
Micha

Post by Micha »

Only the Mothers could do an encore like I want to hold your hand better as the original.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I just like the famous ones: Bobby Brown and Flakes.

I had a couple of Zappa albums (I can't even now remember their names!) but I do remember that two girlfriends I had absolutely hated this music, thought it was disgusting and degnerate. :grin:

EDIT: And also "TV" (was that the name?). I still remember the lyrics:

"I am gross and perverted;
I'm obsessed and deranged;
I've existed for years;
But very little has changed;

I'm the tool of the government;
And industry too;
And I am destined to rule;
And regulate you;

I may be vile and pernicious;
But don't look away;
I'll make you think I'm delicious;
With the stuff that I say;

I'm the best you can get;
Have you guessed me yet ?
I'm the slime oozing out of your TV set".

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Spirit on 2003-02-21 09:32 ]</font>
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

no that's "i'm the slime" from the overnight sensations album

Welcome to planetz foie_gras, say, any chance you could send some foie gras here in Paris? :lol: seriously i really like this shit!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: legros on 2003-02-21 10:39 ]</font>
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

Hot Rats and Waka Jawaka. Two masterpieces
/dave
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

A FZ tidbit....

I caught FZ on TV back around '85 or '86 being grilled by a couple of senators or congressmen. It was wild. It was an hour long program and Frank was seated between these two gentlemen who literally grilled him for an hour on mostly politcal issues. Frank ate these guys up and spit them out. It was a hoot. I wish I had a copy of the show on video.

Frank was a master debater on most things political.

Glad to say I got to see him perform once in Chicago. Must have been around '82 maybe. Steve Vai on guitar at the time. I think it was right after he released Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch.

The 1st Zappa album I ever bought was Apostrophe (remains one of my favorites). Love him and miss him!!! RIP!

PS: does anyone remember the Thingfish spread in Hustler magazine?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: krizrox on 2003-02-21 11:29 ]</font>
eliam

Post by eliam »

I used to laugh a lot at his humor and fly pretty far while listening to "lumpy gravy" album, back in the days when I was eating lsd... I must admit that with today's perspective I find it a bit gross, and frankly too mentally wild for me to endure anymore... I prefer Debussy, but that's only me... :wink:
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

On 2003-02-21 12:24, eliam wrote:
... I must admit that with today's perspective I find it a bit gross, and frankly too mentally wild for me to endure anymore... I prefer Debussy, but that's only me... :wink:
I've got to repeat: Hot Rats and Waka Jawaka. Brilliant composing and playing. Check out the solos by Ian Underwood (Gumbo Variations)and Don Preston (Waka). This stuff is timeless. There's a hell of a lot more to FZ than titty humour.
/d
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

He certainly was a very creative man, to say the least. Yes, quite crazy, but he wanted to say something in a difficult historical moment too.

Definitely, interesting and compelling, my two cents…

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nestor on 2003-02-24 16:32 ]</font>
hubird

Post by hubird »

sorry, absolutely boring to me.
never keeping up a groove, to joky, to mutch theatre.
Just Hot rats I did like to some degree those days, specially coz of the Captain.
eliam

Post by eliam »

I listened hot rats maybe 50 times and tens of other records numerous times. I respect the creative depth of this man and I used to appreciate it for a while, but not anymore. I want to convince no one here, I answer to the thread's question, that's all. If you love it, then so be it, this is none of my business! :smile:
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

another one that's really great:

"sleep dirt".

an incredible trip! do you know it?

and did anyone see the moovie 200 motels?
siberiansun

Post by siberiansun »

On 2003-02-21 17:55, hubird wrote:
Couldn't agree more. a friend of mine, a drummer, and his father, a drummer too, used to talk high and low about the absolute musical nirvana one would reach if one could nail "black page" right down to every single damn note.
well they did it of course.

compared to have written songs like "with or without you", "every little thing she does is magic" or "blackbird", black page seems like a waste of time to me.

please forgive me for being WAY off topic but this drummers father also claims that The Beatles used "ghost writers" and every single musician who realizes that he or she can't be superior on their instruments chooses song writing. like a "2nd choice".

man where's this world going?
eliam

Post by eliam »

This comment about songwriters is absurd.
borg

Post by borg »

no groove? try the 'illinois enema bandit'... i get goose bumps every time i listen to 'punky meadows' on 'live in NY' and can't help laughing when, on the same album, frank starts a conversation with the devil bozzio...
'roxy & elsewhere' is also one of my favourites. zappa and the mothers are great live...
i can't really say i'm a fan, because i just have maybe 2% of his records, but i always like to go to this widow i do the gardening for... her late husband was a big (and rich) fan, who bought EVERY official release, on vnyl AND cd, and numerous bootlegs. a cupboard full.

he was a genious, in many ways... why is it not a lot of girls/women love him? i guess it's got something to do with the difference in brain structure...
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
zezappa

Post by zezappa »

On 2003-02-21 17:55, hubird wrote:
Just Hot rats I did like to some degree those days, specially coz of the Captain.
dear friend, I can't believe what you say...

at least, I must tell you to listen to

THE GRAND WAZOO

p.s. although I rarely listen to him these days, I can't ignore so much "pretty good musicians" playing together for 25 years and DOZENS of brilliant records

BLAH! :sad: