mod patch files without modules?

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

I'm asking me why in a modular patch file there is always the whole modules stuff packed in.I mean, wouldn't it be sufficient to have only the basic data in it, e.g. Modular version, which modules ar used, cable network, preset list and so on.If you have a Pulsar modular, you have all the modules needed on your harddisk.Ok,one problem could be if you download a patch which uses 3rd party modules, but you could always make an extra remark that these extra modules are needed and where you can download them.
Maybe I'm one of the last men on earth who has no dsl internet connection, but I hate to download 2MB patches.
Maybe I missed something, do you have an idea why Creamware has this (for me)strange
file system?
siberiansun

Post by siberiansun »

On 2003-01-14 20:04, roy thinnes wrote:

Maybe I'm one of the last men on earth who has no dsl internet connection
yes roy, yes you are... :smile:
actually i agree with you on the modular subject, it is quite strange. but apparently needed.
at0m

Post by at0m »

Roy, what module do you have problems with? All modules that I tested were saved 'physically' inside the modular device.

For the test I moved Modules folder to some unknown folder for SFP, then loaded soem modular devices. They load without a problem.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

On 2003-01-14 21:57, at0mic wrote:
Roy, what module do you have problems with? All modules that I tested were saved 'physically' inside the modular device.
I think that's the 'problem' that Roy is referring to.
Modules are saved with a device.
The advantage of this is that when sharing patches you know everyone will have the same modules, but it has (at least) two disadvantages:
1.) Modular patches are very big - not so good if you've not got cable.
2.) If a modular module is updated (bugfixed, optimised, etc) then there's no automatic way for that fix to be applied to patches using the module. You'd have to replace the module and repatch it and maybe even re-do your presets to take advantage of the fix, and every user has to do this, unless the patch maker reuploads a fixed version.

But that's how it is, so we must live with it I guess. :sad:

Ben

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: on 2003-01-15 08:43 ]</font>
j9k

Post by j9k »

on the flip side of that the presets used to save the entire mdl for each preset. now only the data that is specified to be stored is saved resulting in much smaller preset files.

j9k