sfp in my pocket...

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

nanoushka

Post by nanoushka »

maybe it's utpia (and a 10 000 asked question), but is there hope to see a laptop CW hardware released someday? something like
the breakout box with 3 or 6 dsp's inside?

this could be cool to take sfp on tour..:smile:
at0m

Post by at0m »

Looks like the wrong forum here, but run a search for 'magma'.
borg

Post by borg »

http://www.magma.com

so far the only solution i know of to get your CW cards working with a laptop.
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

When this was discussed before, the closest we came was to use a rackmount PC with a LCD screen. Cheaper too.
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

cheaper yes, but it's not as portable as a laptop with magma.

I have a 2-slot magma which is a reasonable size (a bit longer and thicker than a laptop) They also make a 1-slot which is *extremely* portable, and quite a bit cheaper. The ability to put hard drives in my 2-slot makes up for its bigger size (and of course the possibility to put 2 cards inside :smile: ).

Anyway if you can afford the magma I recommend it very highly - performance is absolutely great, I'm working on this beast in exactly the same way as on my old CUSL2 box.

peace
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Isn't NOAH created for this? It is USB, have it's own asio drivers, gsif, analog in out... mixer, synth, effects, adat (out only i know)...
borg

Post by borg »

i have been looking for a nice soundcard for my laptop for quite a while now (and all this time have hardly spent my cash, so more choices :smile: ). when the news came a few weeks ago, that noah was finally going to be released, i was quite excited because my budget did allow it. now, after some thinking, i cooled off a bit. yes, just adat out, only two devices loadable (i think), hence limited outputs, no up to date USB connection, (i'm not the most technical guy, but why not USB2.0?), still no news whether modular patches or 3rd party devices can be used.
i guess (hope) that noah will be really stable, but so is my old G3 + pulsar cards setup.
the more i think of it, the more i'm leaning towards the magma way again (was my first intention). if i take a pulsar1 card of my desktop, buy the magma and an additional Luna card, i'll have a more powerful and versatile system... and cheaper too, if i'm not mistaken.

jeeh, i'm glad i'm not an impulsive guy when it comes down to spending 1000+ € (it took me two years to finally buy a computer and soundcard, and still very happy with my choice). i'm gonna wait a bit longer, until there's more news regarding noah, but magma has my vote at the moment.
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

I would recommend getting a 1-slot magma chassis and a scope/powerpulsar, maybe used (assuming the 1-slot is large enough for a scope card). The amount you could do with that blows away anything Noah can do.

You can also get a PCI card which allows you to connect the chassis to a desktop PC. You may think thats crazy but consider that the magma has far less electrical interference inside it than a PC case, so the converters will sound a lot nicer.

It's kinda hard to find used magmas, I was lucky, I got an ex-demo unit from a pro audio retailer which went out of business.

peace

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dArKr3zIn on 2003-02-10 22:00 ]</font>
sym90

Post by sym90 »

Let's wait for NOAH :wink:

perhaps it'll be the right solution for everybody with a laptop :wink:

regards
sYm