OT? NTFS disk looses space

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

at0m

Post by at0m »

Hi,

I got a problem. My pc's on XPpro, my c: is formatted NTFS.

When I'm working for a while, my c: drive goes to 0kB free space. Looks like a problem in the FAT. When I reboot, all is normal.

This is not normal. Scandisk doesn't find problems when I run it in the OS. When I do scandisk on reboot, it doesn't restart my pc automatically when the scandisk is finished.

I have latest and greatest McAfee Scanner, adequately scanning.

Any suggestions?

I find it real strong that XP doesn't crash on 0kB free. It just keeps running. ALthough for safety and comfort reasons I restart then.
How to kill that 'Low Space -Disk Notification'? I don't want it poppin'up no more. I have a special partition for Virtual Memory, it's 1GB. When I assign 768MB of Virtual Memory, there's only a 222MB free, so I get warnings. I don't want them. Can I kill 'Low Space -Disk Notification' in Services? Is it one of the Alerter/Messengers?

Thanks a lot for your time, please post any remarks. Cos next thing I can do is format c:, make a NEW FAT, and restore my backup.

Cheers again,

atomic.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
helldriver

Post by helldriver »

Hey I cannot help you, but I experienced the same problem on two computers. One of them has a fat 32, the other ntfs hadrdiscdrive.
Got xp professional and I don´t know what´s going on.
at0m

Post by at0m »

It's like every second I loose 1MB free space on my c: drive.

This is not funny.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

You write, that you have made a seperate partition for your swapfile. But XP can have several swapfiles. Did you disable the swapfile on your c-drive? Remember to press *set* the button is there for a reason :smile:

Immanuel
at0m

Post by at0m »

yup, thanks immanuel, my VM settings look fine...
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Do you have System Restore turned on? :grin:
at0m

Post by at0m »

no, System Restore's off.

But I suspect one of the services to make a mistake. Because when I cose down WinXP, I can see My Computer/DetailedView c: free space=2,3GB which is correct...!?
RedSun

Post by RedSun »

Did you take a look at what processes were running?

The Task Manager will tell you the proc/mem usage of your running processes. It's a good starting point for this kind of problem.

I've never seen this in my years of tech support so, I don't think it's Windows related. Did you scan your drives for viruses? You should also scan them for SpyWares (using Ad-Aware or other similar soft.)installed by some web sites and software.

RedSun .:.
at0m

Post by at0m »

What seems really annoying to me, is that Scandisk doesn't reboot after finishing it's job. I tried to do a thorough scandisk on boot many times, but it refuses to reboot when done.

The screen sticks to "wait 'till windows reboots..." but the progress bar stops... it works fine on other disks.
RedSun

Post by RedSun »

Maybe you have a physical defect on your Hard Drive... You should try to get the diagnostic software for your drive from it's manufacturer. These make much more extensive tests than ScanDisk.

RedSun .:.
at0m

Post by at0m »

I'm sorry :???: None of the tests revealed any defects. I did all the tests from ibm for my HD.
at0m

Post by at0m »

Still losing disk space. I think if by tonite no one knows a solution to the problem, I'll delete the partition and make a new one.
at0m

Post by at0m »

...one hour to format c:

My disk will be executed (sorry, not live here, because of some technical problems) at 16:00 Z time.

Any last wishes?