The Value of Wavelab

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

The Value of Wavelab

Post by braincell »

Since my music now is made mostly of my own samples, I figured I better try Wavelab. The 30 day trial is fully functional. Verdict is that it's easier than Cubase although not intuitive. Once i master it though, seems like it could be indispensable. The lite version, Wavelab Essentials is $99. I do not need the much more expensive one. A lot of the plugins such as all the Waves plugins I already have in Cubase. Those plugins do add a lot of value though.
Nestor

Re: The Value of Wavelab

Post by Nestor »

You will never regret getting into Wavelab, whatever it is the reason. It is a magnificent program, in many ways. Not intuitive? I don’t agree with it, it is as easy as having a walk with your dog. With a few minimal tutorials you will be up and running in no time. I would say, you need about 7 days to be ready to do most important things that everybody does in an audio editor of the like. Deep features found in the audio-montage, are much deeper, but not that difficult either. There are tones of people using it, and tones of excellent commercial tutorials that you could use too.

It is a light, very well thought software with an interface to work hard, no fancy colors, spectacular plugging interfaces or anything like that, the core of the program it truly is to concentrate in your audio editing, period.

Now, remember that you can load all the vst plugins you already have in Cubase, to Wavelab. All you need is a simple folder routing, and the rest is done by the program. When you load it for the fest time after loading so many plugings, Wavelab will be sluggish for a couple of minutes, just live it by itself, it is not a malfunction in any way, it is doing all the registry lines, that’s all. After you open it about two or three times again, the program will be ready.

Go for it, absolutely! :)
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I've used CoolEdit Pro (now Adobe Audition) for many years. For sample editing, setting loop points (and even for loading into many hardware samplers!), it has always been top notch, bar-none.

How does the toolset included in Wavelab compare? Can it export to many sample libraries? Does conversion between sample rates and bit depth work well?
braincell

Post by braincell »

Nestor wrote:You will never regret getting into Wavelab, whatever it is the reason.
Go for it, absolutely! :)

Thanks for the encouragement Nestor. I had a feeling I might need this. Most programs are daunting at first I guess. It's not a sexy buy like Omnisphere but I think I will get a lot more out of it because I like making my own samples for Groove Agent SE4. I make music basically with just that (multiple instances).
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

As far I can remember Wavelab is the only audio-editing/mastering software around with realtime VST effects bay.
All the rest are with offline rendering.

I suggesto to starto with Wavelab 8 LE (you can find it for a few buks in ebay, 12£), then upgrade to 8 Elements saving almost 36£ from the full 73£ price.
Then If you need is it possible to upgrade to Wavelab 8.5 saving 75£ (basically the price of Elements).
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
braincell

Post by braincell »

Was not aware of LE or the upgrade cost but I hate ebay lol.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Audition also supports real-time & vst plugins (and ASIO or wave, with plenty of dither options.). I do like wavelab's visualization, but I don't see any benefit to audio processing over adobe audition from what I can see.

If I didn't already have audition, I would be very interested in Wavelab (especially since Ableton offers minimal audio editing).

Cool.
braincell

Post by braincell »

I used Wavelab many years ago. Version 2 I think. It's older than dirt.
dante

Post by dante »

True. But how good does dirt sound ?
garyb

Post by garyb »

igneous or metamorphic?
i believe Dr. Howard Bannister won the Larrabee prize for his study of early man's musical relationship to igneous rocks...
braincell

Post by braincell »

Got the hang of it. So many little icons in Wavelab 8.5 but most of them are for mastering. For simple editing, it's easier than Cubase.
valis

Post by valis »

I use Wavelab when on Windows, and I don't use Cubase very often anymore (if at all). I still prefer my older (v5/v6) era licenses compared to the tabbed interface (which is installed on my main Win7 box anyway as it's licensed), which is unfortunate as those versions don't work on OSX (where I'd love to use WL).