windows xp

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

ronaldmeij

Post by ronaldmeij »

Okay guys

How is win xp pro is it good and should i buy it now or waith 3 years ?
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Waiting is good.
kimgr

Post by kimgr »

Let's see after ServicePack1, Logic 5.01, Cubase 5.1, Nuendo2 AND Pulsar 3.1 :smile:

Kim.
ronaldmeij

Post by ronaldmeij »

Okay that's really clear..........
at0m

Post by at0m »

I've been told it runs very fast but is still buggy as wel.
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Well i'd say the contrary.

It does NOT run that fast, but it's stable as HELL!

No crash whatever you'll do, but is not as fast a Win98se or a tweaked ME for me. At least for audio software. I get more track without clicks&pops in 98 than XP, but XP run smoother... And almost impossible to crash.
Funktastico

Post by Funktastico »

Well, in my case, with all eye-candy and themes disabled, unnecessary system services and other crap removed, it looks like old Windowses, is not slower, might be even faster than ME, and it's definately more stable. Never seen an o/s this solid.

Sure, it doesn't make badly written programs more stable, those still may crash, but they don't take the whole system down with them anymore.

XP Pro, Duron800, Abit KT7, 384mb, IBM ata-100,...

Toni L.
http://www.mp3.com/NativeAlien
kimgr

Post by kimgr »

How do you guys come to the conclusion the XP is stable ?
Pulsar3/Luna3 is the only Creamware OS that runs on XP, and from what I've seen so far, I'm not impressed !!!
It's been out for what ? A month or so...
My Win98se setup is closing in on 18 months without a single crash !
Most often it amazes me that people are so eager when it comes to installing the latest, greatest, fastest, fanciest software/OS...

Kim.
ronaldmeij

Post by ronaldmeij »

i bought the win xp update

hmmm runs verry smooth iam happy for now.
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

Well, sometimes the change is good... as for me, I've been working on the same (win98/NT PIII-600 dual) for the past 2-3 years and was starting to feel behind all the advancements.. So it's just a matter of timing.. aannd, well, I guess XP's drivers are killing me... but as an operating system, it's not really any different from NT.. Samplitude+NT combo kicked ass! No crash in 2 years! But that's all sweet memories now.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kensuguro on 2001-11-13 11:51 ]</font>
topaz

Post by topaz »

I agree with you marcus

I have tested 98se lite, ME, and XP
all tweaked to the max and 98se lite
gives overall better performance tracks/fx

XP does run smoother but I would rather more
power, and if im honest 98 is very stable set up the right way.

problem is there are so many personal opinions and variables, nowadays I tend to go on what works overall best..

On 2001-11-13 04:51, marcuspocus wrote:
Well i'd say the contrary.

It does NOT run that fast, but it's stable as HELL!

No crash whatever you'll do, but is not as fast a Win98se or a tweaked ME for me. At least for audio software. I get more track without clicks&pops in 98 than XP, but XP run smoother... And almost impossible to crash.
braincell

Post by braincell »

I using 98SE with 98 Lite. Creamware support (Paul Tanta) said that Windows 98SE is the fastest with CW. I have a fast computer with plenty of RAM and it took me a month to install all my software and I have no intention of switching operating systems or computers for 4 or 5 years to come.
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

On 2001-11-13 04:51, marcuspocus wrote:

It(Win XP) does NOT run that fast, but it's stable as HELL!

I almost changed over to WinXP yesterday when my tech came to install my CUSL2 Motherboard. Now I read this thread and find out that XP being slow. Slow at what exactly? Processing? Recording? Opening projects(as if that wasn't slow enough already)?

Paul
Are we listening?..
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Al of these... :sad:

It's pretty stable, won't crash, but still give you a bit less performance overall 'audio wize'. Less tracks with higher latency, slower graphics, and some other small details. But if you have a P4-2ghz, 1gig ram, etc... Should be in theory faster than anything else... Optimized memory usage, better multiprocessing, etc...

But as of now, still need some other fix i think. But t's still a solution for some...
Funktastico

Post by Funktastico »

Really?

In my experience, XP can handle more audio tracks, more effects, more DXI synths, lower latency, faster redraws in Pulsar while sequencer running, etc...

My system: Duron 800mhz on Abit KT7 (probably worst Socket-A mobo ever) and 380mb ram.

Toni L.
http://www.mp3.com/NativeAlien
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

I don't know, i have a CUSL2-C, P3 1ghz, 512ram CAS2, and though i can get 4ms ULLI under XP, i cannot have more than 12 audio track without some clicks or pops. In WinME, it's less stable, but more responsive, and 20 audiotracks without any problem (maybe more, don't have taht many tracks). But as i say, with some setup it seem to be better than WinME. I would love to really switch, but for now i'll stay with WinME. I HATE WinME, but it's working for now... :smile:
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Got the same motherboard as you now, Marcus. But after reading this thread I think I'm going to stick to Win98SE.
With the help of the "Optimizing Windows for Audio" thread( THANK YOU, SUBHUMAN!!), I have 94% System ressources free on Startup.
Check out my new entry in the Music thread. I have 22 audio tracks and a couple of VST synths on that track.
Paul is a happy camper at last! :smile:

I think I may get the hang of this after all!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paulrmartin on 2001-11-26 05:36 ]</font>
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

i have p4t-e, p4-2.2, 1 giga ram, 60gb & 120gb hard(s) and pulsar2+.
in win98se i had better audio perfomances with cusl2 and p3/933.
now i try xp-pro and this is unbeliveable! with tweakeings i have better perfomance then ever before - much better then in win98se with same hardware :smile: 3ms-4ms in cubase - no matter how much vst and pulsar instrumets use! :smile:
little bit better performances for vst instruments and natives then for pulsar. i can't tell much about stability becose i use xp just 2 days - it's very stabile for now :smile:

but i have one major problem: don't have acess to cd(s) when pulsar is active :sad:

so, i'm not expert - just say my experience!

and i still have places to tweaking in xp for better perfomances :roll:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sandrob on 2002-03-17 12:47 ]</font>
remixme

Post by remixme »

I was forced to use win2k before I had creamware gear becuase i had a geforce card that just wouldn't behave under 98se.
I tried XP when it was in beta, and decided it was stable enough then! So I bought it.

It's not a saint however, most common problems with new users (not me personally) of XP/2k are weird cd-rom problems, dissapearing-reappearing drives etc.

On the whole however XP is more stable, just DO NOT install LIMEWIRE, you shouldn't install internet apps on a DAW anyway, but this is know to make IE6 randomly fall over.
The thing is not everyone has the patience or the hard disk space for a dual boot setup just to use to internet.

Bottom line: If you want a dedicated DAW and also have stable hardware that doesn't misbehave. GO for 98 LITE.
If you have one computer, that you need to be versatile and/or have frequent crashes under 98 for a variety of reasons go for XP.
And if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Even though ultimately we will have to move to XP, to use new software /drivers etc.
eliam

Post by eliam »

The site tweakxp.com is worth checking for those interested in the subject.

In what I've seen thus far, win xp works better (smoother) than winme and easily handles bigger processing tasks without crashing. As for speed, I cannot really say now...