Distortion recording Wav source during realtime mix down

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

sodiumcycle

Distortion recording Wav source during realtime mix down

Post by sodiumcycle »

I am routing the mixer master to wav source and monitoring through analog source (also connected to mixer master.) The audio sounds fine coming out of my monitors but is distorted in the recording (levels are good and not overloading in the recording application.)

I use outboard synths and effects in this project and need to mix down in real time. I thought it might be a disk performance problem but 44.1 16bit is also distorted. I've also tested "wav source" recording in more than one application and get the same result.

This is the way I typically mix down and haven't seen the issue before. (Scope 4.5, 2 Luna 2 cards, 1 Pulsar, Scope is master)
bosone

Re: Distortion recording Wav source during realtime mix down

Post by bosone »

why you are not using ASIO modules?
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

I was never able to determine if this was a bug or not (and haven't checked in V5), but a while ago I switched over to analog out for monitoring and SPDIF for mastering, and recorded off the SMPTE (using Samplitude).

Also, if you have an external clock source, then try switching Scope to slave and see what happens. Let your recording DAW (or whatever) be the 'master'.

And yes, you could try ASIO, or upgrade to Scope 5 and use VDAT :wink:

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
garyb

Post by garyb »

wav modules are ok here. could you upload a sample of the distortion? maybe it will lend a clue...
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

sodiumcycle wrote:This is the way I typically mix down and haven't seen the issue before. (Scope 4.5, 2 Luna 2 cards, 1 Pulsar, Scope is master)
Also, which mixer are you using?

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
voidar

Post by voidar »

The wave drivers need additional buffering. This might be what's happening. They also default to 16 bit (this surprice med), so you really should experiment with the ASIO protocol instead.
sodiumcycle

Post by sodiumcycle »

bosone wrote:why you are not using ASIO modules?
ASIO was used by my DAW. Since only 1 ASIO application can be opened at a time I have been using the wav source in a second application to record mixes.

But it seems I can route the creamware mixer outs back into another ASIO stereo pair, record it in the DAW application, and export that stereo track.
sodiumcycle

Post by sodiumcycle »

siriusbliss wrote:I was never able to determine if this was a bug or not (and haven't checked in V5), but a while ago I switched over to analog out for monitoring and SPDIF for mastering, and recorded off the SMPTE (using Samplitude).

Also, if you have an external clock source, then try switching Scope to slave and see what happens. Let your recording DAW (or whatever) be the 'master'.

And yes, you could try ASIO, or upgrade to Scope 5 and use VDAT :wink:

Greg
I set Scope as slave and I'm still getting the distortion.

Can you explain how to record via SMPTE? That might allow me to record the mix directly in to Cooledit.
sodiumcycle

Post by sodiumcycle »

garyb wrote:wav modules are ok here. could you upload a sample of the distortion? maybe it will lend a clue...
I'll try to upload a snippet of the noise. It sounds like buffer under-runs to me.

BTW, I'm using the Luna 16 channel mixer and am working at the lowest latency setting at 48khz.
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

sodiumcycle wrote:But it seems I can route the creamware mixer outs back into another ASIO stereo pair, record it in the DAW application, and export that stereo track.
That's what most of us are doing, I suppose... You can also separately route every track you mix in Scope to the Asio through mixer direct outputs and record in separate audio tracks to be mixed afterwards, if needed.
Attachments
RoutingWindow2.JPG
RoutingWindow2.JPG (90.32 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
garyb

Post by garyb »

smpte is merely a way to get film and audio synced. it is a timestamp. it won't help.

the program using the wave drivers should have buffer adjustments in it's audio options dialog. fiddling with those values in an organized way might bring joy...another trick is to open the task manger and right click on the process using the wave drivers and then choose "priority/above normal".