Sax

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

Sax

Post by braincell »

I'm playing saxophone now. Oddly enough, I do the sax solos before the music!

http://media.libsyn.com/media/differenc ... sode_6.mp3
siriusbliss

Re: Sax

Post by siriusbliss »

groooooovy....

<clicks fingers - lights a cigarette - takes a shot of whiskey...> :)
braincell

Post by braincell »

Thanks, this was a departure from anything I did before but I think I'll continue it. I have my eye on a $100 trumpet.
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Works for me, although this can go in several keys and musical directions.

I am presently in a project trying to assemble some licks I ripped off Michael Brecker solo concerts to construct melodies and solos. I got one melody by displacing the melody of Naima by 2 1/4 bars. The hardest part is getting a decent reverb impulse from the Brecker files to keep everything in the same room.I'll post when it's done...
Are we listening?..
braincell

Post by braincell »

Interesting. I'm looking forward to hearing it. I got the comment from the sax forum that my tone isn't great but it fits the music. I liked that. I've been working on the same patterns I use for keyboard in order to fit. Starting to go into a higher gear on sax though after 1 year and now I have graduated to a thicker reed. It's a more defined sound. I do cheat a little by correcting the pitch in Cubase 5 because I don't have the best sax in the world but it's actually not that far off. It helps to use a tuner and I just got one that clips onto the sax. The next step is to learn more scales and modes.
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

The saxophonist who played with me in the 80's had a 6 stars opening and used #4 reeds. He has a HUGE sound! Mind you, he played a 1957 Selmer alto sax...

What are you using as effect at the top of the tune? It almost sounds like you're doubled by a clarinet.
Are we listening?..
braincell

Post by braincell »

I used two Cubase 5 reverbs, the regular one, (not the convolution), with one medium and one large. I recorded my saxophone very dry in a small non-tiled bathroom with blankets hung by muslin clips for dampening. I'm using a Selmer but not Selmer Paris, it's a Taiwan made model so it's more than half the price of the Paris ones. I also had a $600 discount because it was scratch and dent, actually just a returned one. Had the bottom welded to prevent leaks. There is some debate about which is better, Yamaha versus Selmer. Yamaha makes better intermediate saxophones I think. Selmer Paris is said to be overpriced. Some of the older ones are more highly valued.

Your comment reminded me though that Cubase 5 has the ability to turn audio tracks into midi. You might be interested in this for your project. I have tried it, and it works surprisingly well. I'll probably use it for doubling in the future.