For those who search for a great Reverb

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

iSiStOy

For those who search for a great Reverb

Post by iSiStOy »

Sorry about that but it's outta scope till you plug the thing : if you have spdif, work at 48KHz and look for an excellent amateur/pro Reverb, have a look to the Kurzweil Rumour (on ebay, two brand-new units are still sold - item No. 160286713134).
I just received that beast and I am simply amazed for having this quality for that price.

Definitively worth a try, the units are brand new.

PS: I'm not the seller by the way :P

tschuss,

Denis
dawman

Re: For those who search for a great Reverb

Post by dawman »

The Laser Reverbs are really good.
They use DSP chips and the same algorithims from the KSP8 I believe.
That's probably a great idea for me too now that I think about it.
I already have the AES/EBU I/O's covered.
SP/DIF's sound just as good as AES/EBU I/O's I never heard any difference.
I actually used a Lexicon MX200 via SP/DIF, an Alesis Q20 via ADAT, and the Lexicon PCM91 via AES/EBU I/O's back in some live projects and was shocked how good samples and vocals sound with external reverbs.

That's a great tip for current Scopers no doubt.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

If you get a couple of converters you can hook the spdif up to AES/EBU. These ones by Canare convert all standard AES/EBU digital audio signals from 110 ohm/XLR3 to a 75 ohm BNC coaxial & vice versa. Could be handy for this reverb or the likes of the Bricasti M7. Other manufacturers make these converters as well.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Nice find Shroomz.....................options are always appreciated.
The high end verbs always prefer AES/EBU, but this will allow 2 quality hardware units on an XITE-1, which has limited I/O's for now.

Ankyu.
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

Yes, great options indeed, Shrooms. If you don't have free spdif connectors at the back, that can do the trick.
You are right XITE-1/4Live: originally coming from KSP8 and a great deal for the price. I've been surprised to ear such quality. It was probably my last brick of sound lacking in here (supposing the prof. phaser plugin in preparation will hit my Scope DSPs soon :wink: )
Last edited by iSiStOy on Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

And now I have a problem: what's the most adapted mixer in scope for send effects like this one?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Tried the boxed one but I'm not convinced... I might say to myself : "go and buy a third party one, like spacef's" but I really dunno what would be the best...

PS: ooops, laserVerb is HUGE!

Denis
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Denis, if you've only got Scope mixers with mono AUX sends, you should only connect to one of the Kurzweil's analogue inputs & it will automatically detect that you're only sending it a mono signal, then send that mono signal to both channels for stereo processing like a traditional mono-stereo reverb. Otherwise, you'll need a mixer like one of Spacef or Wolf's which have stereo AUX sends.
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

hmm, I would say I want a stereo send (all my machines give me stereo ins). I currently use two linked buses on a STM2448 to reproduce the stereo aux behavior but I can't control the individual send level. Can I?

Thanks for the reply anyway, Shrooms.

PS: ooops again, laserVerb is ENORMOUS!

Denis
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

If you're not already using the direct outs on the STM 24/48 you could connect them to a simple summing mixer like one of the ones sharc made & use that for giving you send levels per channel.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Lets here some nice samples of this laserVerb then. :D
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

Ahahahaaaa, the "directouts" button!!!! Sooo many years without knowing about this one!!
Understand me: I began with a Luna II and couldn't use these mixers at that time. I'm also still amazed with the power of SFP.

Thanks a bunch Shroomz!!!

Denis
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

hhmmm let's try. Give me a few minutes.
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

just a short NL2X without and with Laserwaves preset, as a first shot...
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

dawman

Post by dawman »

There Ya' Go.
It sounds exactly like the KSP8.
One could actually buy a few of these and achieve what the KSP8 can do, in terms of the delays and reverbs.

Audio snippets are cool and much appreciated.

I think you will want to read up on the SpaceF mixers.
The AUX bleedover abilities are where it's at there.
The MB4-II is the ultimate DSP audio stem mixer for sampled groups too.
You can re cable everything and find work arounds no doubt, but the options provided by Medhi are endless, and the Kill Solo/ mute groups and load inserts are great for complex live mixing, I can only imagine that they would provide a smooth workflow when recording.

I am also feverish for the Phaser.....in it's most basic form it had incredible, noiseless Tape Flange.

Congrats on your fine discovery... :D

Are you up in the Tetons ? I just noticed the Calvin Lake location in your avatar.
If so you are lucky....that's a great fishin hole and very beautiful from what I remember.
I played Casper and Cheyenne years ago in the summer doing outdoor stuff.....what a great place to compose.
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

another short one.
Excuse my bad keyboard playing. I'm definitively more used to edit the grid than accurately play the keys (compared to the impressive demos made by Jimmy).
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

Yep I think I considered the MB4-II as the ultimate mix solution for my current needs.

I already own machines from another age that could help me sometimes but the difference is that I use Scope as the main component and don't wanna part with it as it's great. I'd be happy to (at least) reproduce the mix quality of my favorites 90's songs only with the help of my current setup and with some more analogical/digital stuff if needed.
The more I discover things, the more I tend to think it's a question of compromises.

Ok, too late to do anything else than sleep now...

pluche,

Denis
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

Geneva is beautiful but during this time of the year, it's mostly cold and wet. It's got a great view on mountains though and it probably helped me and others feeling like real human beings! A true life saver if I may say so!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Those chops are a 2 edged sword my friend.... :lol:
You can't imagine how I struggle trying to compose Electronic Synth/Dance music, which many here can do in an instant.
Having enginners, composers, road crews and management most of my life have left w/ zero knowledge in how to apply it.
I actually am taking Film & Audio Production classes so I can learn how to record and master.
Then listen to as much new music as possible just to shake off 30 years of thinking with my fingers instead of my head....... :o
I shall succeed, but I am learning I ain't the hot shot I thought I was.

Nice Demos Dude, they show exactly what's necessary.
And glad to see another happy hardware user. The all in the box solution is still a myth IMHO.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Thanks for the samples Denis. That laser effect sounds like it's got some crazy pitching going on. :)

What's this phaser you speak of?
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

Yours :P

As a reply to JV, I may say you have the Jazz m8!

If only my parents forced me or if only I forced myself (which would be the most accurate reproach I could do) to the discipline, maybe I would be able to give advice about music.
I'm listening to so many diff. things: Classic, Jazz, Soul, Rock, Techno, Rap, RnB. and I think it's all part of the same family (with a lot of respect to Jazz though).
But Techno is a kind of tribal, "back to the roots" voyage, trying to make us realize we are all part of the same (hey, coming from the early 90's, beginning of globalization).
What's true or wrong, I'm not judging but I care about people's state of mind: mostly I guess we think it is the truth and that we are all part a whole!

denis