Info from NAMM regarding XITE, Scope 5 and Solaris

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

Warp69

Info from NAMM regarding XITE, Scope 5 and Solaris

Post by Warp69 »

Some information from NAMM :
garyb wrote:ok, i spent the day with Holger and Jurgen and i took no pictures. :P

don't worry, siriusbliss was there and he took some video.

i may take a few pictures when i go back on sunday.

i did take a screenshot of v5 running an XITE on a laptop on vista, which was very smooth, except for an unregistered plugin...
V5%20XITE1.jpg
V5%20XITE1.jpg (222.71 KiB) Viewed 7379 times
as to 64bit drivers, if you want them, write a nice letter to S/C. there are a number of issues they are addressing(such as the possible updated automation), and things become a matter of priorities. if they see a strong desire for them, they'll make them.
siriusbliss wrote:OK - I already have pictures, but won't be able to get them uploaded until late Sunday night California time - SORRY :roll:
Video won't come until after I capture, render, and upload somewhere - probably not 'til towards the end of next week - SORRY :roll:
Gary - you should still take some pictures - including pictures of the Soniccore dudes so that we can thank them for taking on such a daunting project.

re: 64-bit - Holger says that it's 'in the cue' - after other developments, which they have received more requests for (and therefore higher priority) - which I probably can't mention here (since he didn't really mention what they were anyways).
Note: even the RME guys say that 32-bit is totally effective in 64-bit environments with machines running 8-Gig RAM on 64-bit OS's, etc., since it doesn't matter if the plugins/rompler/samplers can effectively use the extra RAM and throughput anyways. They have issues with justifying it at this point in time.

Nevertheless, all I can say is - WOW, what horsepower! You can feel it in the instantaneous loading of large modules, synths, mixers, 'verbs, etc. You can 'feel' the lack of latency, etc. You can 'feel' the 10X DSP horsepower in the DSP's.

The unit looks simple, yet impressive and unobtrusive. Tons of I/O to work with in a stand-alone environment ranging from good mic/line pres in the front-end to all the various I/O output on the back end.

I wanted to open the unit, but it was running, and I didn't want to disrupt it.

My impression is that the unit is basically complete - barring some minor touchups with cables and such, but it's very close.

No - I couldn't get a release date from the team other than 'very soon'.

No I couldn't listen to it inside the cacophony of the convention center - we could barely hear each other talk.

So, that's all I have to report for now. More to come in the next few days.

Greg

p.s. The Xite-1 is IMO one of the standouts at the show, since it is unique amongst the deluge of yet one more F'ing VST synth or other plugin, etc.

p.p.s. The only other standout for me so far is the Moog guitar, which is very cool technically, but two guys at their booth didn't know how to demo it properly (IMO).

p.p.p.s. GaryB gets the award for the scariest hair :lol:
Last edited by Warp69 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warp69

Re: Info from NAMM regarding XITE & Scope 5

Post by Warp69 »

Since it's running on Vista - Would you be able to change smaplerate inside the Scope environment or in the Control Panel?
sonolive

Post by sonolive »

great thread warp !!! that is what we need here in old europ ! a dedicated thread about namm with lots of pics, videos, and comments !
come on guys !

cheerz
olive
garyb

Post by garyb »

Warp69 wrote:Since it's running on Vista - Would you be able to change smaplerate inside the Scope environment or in the Control Panel?
Scope functions pretty much the same, but better...so whater a smaplerate is, it's changed inside Scope as always. :)
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

One of the problems in Vista (and Windows7), is that with the WDM driver model, sample rate changes are NOT requested of the audio driver. The OS will just resample the audio stream without giving an option. You can only change the sample rate that the audio card operates at from the Control Panel.

You can therefor not change the sample rate on Lynx, RME etc cards within the driver environment, only through the Control Panel.

Are you able to confirm with SC that when you change the sample rate within Scope - does the sample rate in Vista Sound change accordingly? Otherwise Vista just resample the audio stream.

This is only a problem for wave drivers not ASIO.
oxygenial

Post by oxygenial »

The driver model for Vista (and sadly Windows 7) is a huge problem, and I seriously can't see why Microsoft chose to do it this way, where you can't address the hardware directly from your application, without passing through the OS!
Warp69

Re: Info from NAMM regarding XITE, Scope 5 and Solaris

Post by Warp69 »

petal

Post by petal »

Tell us about the interest from people at the booth - are "new" people impressed with XITE and Solaris? Do they get it at all? :)
Mary Mungo

Post by Mary Mungo »

It's Alive.......Alive!

Cheers guys this has been much needed albeit at this point not a great deal more news but... it has been seen!!! :o :o

Money at the ready :D :lol: :D
Fede

Post by Fede »

oxygenial wrote:The driver model for Vista (and sadly Windows 7) is a huge problem, and I seriously can't see why Microsoft chose to do it this way, where you can't address the hardware directly from your application, without passing through the OS!
what about the new wasapi driver?

cheers
Fede
Tau

Post by Tau »

Wow. Solaris is looking GREAT! Scope 5 is also looking great! Congratulations are in order. All we need now is a realistic release date!
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Fede wrote:
oxygenial wrote:The driver model for Vista (and sadly Windows 7) is a huge problem, and I seriously can't see why Microsoft chose to do it this way, where you can't address the hardware directly from your application, without passing through the OS!
what about the new wasapi driver?

cheers
Fede
Please find my response here : http://www.planetz.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 31&t=26692
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Tau wrote:Wow. Solaris is looking GREAT! Scope 5 is also looking great! Congratulations are in order. All we need now is a realistic release date!
I agree - the new Solaris case is looking awesome.
voidar

Post by voidar »

Awesome thread! News is so exciting :D
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Warp69 wrote:Image

Looks fantastic!!!! :cool:

I see John's gone with a joystick ala Prophet VS. Very cool !!

Mark
garyb

Post by garyb »

petal wrote:Tell us about the interest from people at the booth - are "new" people impressed with XITE and Solaris? Do they get it at all? :)
well i spent some time friday making sure that they did, and i'm gonna do the same sunday. yes, it's going over VERY well. it looks like a great product. S/C and John's booth is on the far edge of the show and downstairs, but there is traffic and people are interested. there's a little buzz(talk talk) about XITE and Scope upstairs and even Digidesign came down to take a look. :lol: Scope isn't burning down the building or anything, it's a little bit obscure, but i really feel good about the response and think that Holger and Jurgen will sell quite a few of them...
petal

Post by petal »

ok - thanks for the report, it is good to hear that they are getting good response :)
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

Exactly! That's good to ear and gives hope for new perspectives in a near future.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

There are some more pictures of the SOLARIS there (thanks to matrixsynth.com for the link).

http://fdiskc.com/syn/

CheerZ
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

And even some from the Xite-1 (reproduced here but one should find some more on the http://fdiskc.com/syn/ site).
1st picture from the Xite-1 at the Namm 2009 found on http://fdiskc.com/syn/
1st picture from the Xite-1 at the Namm 2009 found on http://fdiskc.com/syn/
.slide_SonicCore_Xite1-paper.jpg (292.6 KiB) Viewed 6518 times
117 photos from the Namm 2009 there among theese:
- 4 are for the SOLARIS
- 3 are for the Xite-1

Not that bad for a small hidden booth !!!

Cheerz
Last edited by HUROLURA on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.