East West Symphonic Choirs

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Neil B

East West Symphonic Choirs

Post by Neil B »

I'm in a "retail therapy" mood at the moment (long may it continue) and am thinking about buying the East West Symphonic Choirs software while it's on offer.

Has anyone got any experience with it?
Any recommendations?

Having bought Vocaloid Lola in the past (please don't hit me) I wonder if it is easier to handle.
I've looked at the videos on the web and it looks an interesting package.

Look forward to your replies
braincell

Re: East West Symphonic Choirs

Post by braincell »

I don't know about this product but I heard their choir samples a long time ago and thought it sounded amazing.
arela

Post by arela »

For "retail therapy" mood i can suggest Voice Of Passion.

More info: http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/index.php?

East West Symphonic Orchestra is now in PLAY format.
Just received Gold, ...its huge!
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Thanks for the link Arela.

Voices of Passion doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but I'll look into the audio demos.

I've got Garritan Orchestra so I don't need the East/West version

Having said that - what is "PLAY" format that you mentioned please?

I fancy buying these choirs, but it is going to have to be so much better than my Vocaloid "Lola" and easier to use - any experience?
arela

Post by arela »

PLAY is the sample engine developed by EastWest.
If i'm not completly wrong, EastWest used a NI sampler engine.
If NI is involved in PLAY, i dont know.
http://www.majormusic.com.au/products/e ... system.php

edit
Voices of Passion doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but I'll look into the audio demos.
I did a 12 bar blues with Syrian folk vocal - abnormally, but funny :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Ever since Nick Phoenix who originally made Quantem Leap products joined up w/ East/West their products are all excellent sounding. Just listen to the demos to see if the content is suitable.

Voices of Passion is very niche, where as EWSC is a standard, just like the old Symphony Of Voices from Eric Pershing still is.

I am glad to see guys using quality Romplers w/ Scope cards. I take it you didn't care much for Lola. I also bought some lame Vocal libraries before. That's why I don't trust developers demos much.

Recently heard Garritans Authorised Steinway and the demos were O.K., but many guys on the Piano forum are unhappy with it. I learned long ago to question the developer before purchasing anything over 200 USD. I take offense at being a developers Guinnea Pig, and unpayed BETA tester. My caution was correct as the claimed una corde ( sostenuto pedal recordings ) didn't work. I emailed and personally phoned the developer and recieved no reply when I asked how they achieved the triggering of the performance, which BTW nobody can emulate yet, but many claim to, and I was told to call back, leave my number, etc. etc. I wonder how such an astute developer could make such an oversight? I guess he outsourced his idea. :lol:

There are so many similar scenarios w/ other developers. But at the NS Piano forum, the developers are the moderators, and when someone complains too much, they delete the thread !! :x Or you are attacked by a " Proffessional Movie Composer " that uses the product in an upcoming Movie, but cannot release the info, as he is under licensing agreements. Right-O. :lol: :roll:

Let me know how you like it as I am in the market for a new Choir sound. I heard that my still crusty and useful Vocal Choirs in MTron are being upgraded and released in a few weeks. I always wanted real time reversed Choirs to morph from a string or synth pad, looks like my wishes will come true.

I am sure you will like the EWSC, they don't release anything that doesn't work, and their recordings are always Top Shelf. :wink:
braincell

Post by braincell »

What is the best piano rompler now?
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Hiya, just some experiences to share with this Synphonic choirs.

First, the main samples files are monolith files, alltogether around 30 GIGABYTE, that you have to install.
Plus the main program, the typical NI Kontakt child, Kompakt.

You have to install the Kompakt player and load one sample from the Symphonic choirs to unlock them.
When this is done you can also load the symphonic choirs into your Kontakt sample, more editing possibilities.

ANyway, beside the samples and the Kompakt there is the word builder program, it acts as a MIDI insert plugin in your DAW sequencer (Cubase and other).

In the word builder you can type in the words the choirs should sing, sound good or?

The good, it really can work, the bad, you have to type in some kind of phonetic text, there is also an english mode to type in the words but .....
you really have to learn symphonics choirs language to come to good result, but then it really works.

Just one small idea, it is possible to leave these Ahh, Ohh, Ihh standard choirs behind, in the wold builder you can type Ahh Ehh Uhh Te or whatever, and with every new note the next syllable will be played while the keys you hold plays the other syllable.

I thing the proce has reduces lately, I would suggest to go for it, you will get , males, females, boys, also you get some other samples (choirs) that´s all, not much but ok.

The world builder comes with some presets of latin sentences, you will like them.
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Hi Chris - stranger !!!!
Thanks for the tips.
I raised the question on the EW forums and it seems that my tired old version of Cubase isn't compatible. It needs at least SX3 (?). This is something to do with Wrodbuilder as an insert FX I seem to remember.

I have had a look at the demo videos and found them interesting (and much better than "Vocaloid" Lola) but it seems I'll have to not bother. I'm not going to upgrade Cubase as well - I've spent too much already this year.

Anyway Chris, PM or email me and let me know how things are going.
I've had a few problems with my office computer which meant I lost a lot of my email addresses.

Look forward to hearing from you.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Nice Tip There CW.

NI provides developers w/ such nice tools and scripts for creation, and NPhoenix and the boys @ EW use them very well.

Braincell, my new Piano Rompler will be EWQLP. I cannot wait for the Garritan Steinway. It is flawed, the sound is so-so, even though certain suck asses st NS forums will attack you if you comment on their recordings ( SMF's :lol: ), and to top it off the una corde samples that were to be attached to the sostenuto pedal, is advertised, but missing. From being a Scope lover for so long and 3rd party addict, I cannot fathom the way some developers do business. But over at NS, many are glad to pay for something while BETA testing it. :x

BTW CW, Vega is a great learning patch also. Thanks for being so considerate, and thanks for such an awesome patch. Very musical indeed.

Neil B., let me know how the VSTi's vowels work if you ever get this. Besides, the longer we wait to buy a Rompler, the cheaper they get. :wink:
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Hi Jimmy
It's unlikely that I'll shell out the money to update Cubase & buy the choirs so it'll be a looooong wait for you :-)

Instead - here's a link to their audio demos and some quite intereting video tutorials.

The thing that strikes me about these supposedly best demos is that the choirs are hidden behind big orchestral arrangements. Does this tell us something?

http://www.soundsonline.com/EastWest-Qu ... W-165.html