A16Ultra - would Big Ben improve it's sound?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Purusha

A16Ultra - would Big Ben improve it's sound?

Post by Purusha »

Hello,

I think it's time for an upgrade. Can I add an external clocking device to my Creamware system without any problems?
I have a big pro scope card with A16Ultra connected via Z link cables. I can get an Aardwark Sync II. or maybe Apogee Big Ben
BUT don't know if this will improve the A16 Ultra converters...

Has anyone tried this before?
God is the source of all sounds!
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

I'm interested in this subject as well. We were wondering the same thing here, especially if you were running your complete system at 24/96 with Z-link connection between the A16 & Scope board/s.
garyb

Post by garyb »

my answer to your pm(as though my opinion meant something):

well, a good clock will tighten up the sound, make it more focused, but the z-link connection is very good. unless you also buy a syncplate for the card and have a number of other digital devices and you're going to clock the whole studio via bnc, i don't think the expense justifies the level of improvement possible....
Purusha

Post by Purusha »

Well, I was thinking to buy maybe the Aardsync II. They are cheap these days and still very pro level clocks...

Do i really need to add the syncplate? I don't use any other digital devices... just thinking how to improve the A16Ultra sound.
garyb

Post by garyb »

i would expect very little difference. the A16 has a decent clock and z-link is very low jitter....

in foct, i'd go so far as to say if you're not getting pro results, it's not the gear....
Purusha

Post by Purusha »

Well my production is fairly good. But for sure you can't compare the A16Ultra to Apogee... and we noticed that there is not the same wideness and clarity as in the super hi-end converters... so my friend suggested to get me an external clock like Aardsync or Big Ben to make it a little better. This would be much cheaper solution than to buy new converters.

BTW, has anone compared the A16Ultra to RME ADI 2 sound wise?
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, well, the RME is nice(and stereo, so it's 4x as expensive as the A16...not exactly a fair comparison), but it won't compare to the apogee either, but neither are anywhere near the price of the apogee...

i do think that improving the clock will help, but the real benefit in using a clock would be to use that same clock for both scope and the converter, also the difference will be subtle(but real).

what mic pres are you using?
Purusha

Post by Purusha »

I was thinking to maybe add the ADI RME 2 for overdubs and external clock for the OTB mixing.

How can I clock the Scope and A16 at the same time? Possible without any extra cards?

I am using really hi-end preamps. It's all DIY stuff but hey, I am really good at it.
I have Neve and API DIY preamps which rock :wink:
garyb

Post by garyb »

clock both? sync plate.

DIY? nice. i just wondered. as you know, the pre is a much bigger part of the equation.

sure, you can go into the sp/dif with the RME. i don't think the RME's clock is that much better, however. one hint that the RME is not quite as high-end as it appears is the rca digital out. a truly high-end stereo converter would have an xlr digital out...
Purusha

Post by Purusha »

What is the cost for the sync plate?
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, there aren't any available in my neck of the woods. you'll have to go to europe until SonicCore gets north american distribution worked out again. they're a couple hundred euros last i looked, which isn't too much money....
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

Purusha

Post by Purusha »

Yes, 180€... so there is a difference in sound by clocking the scope along the A16U?
How is that, isn't the scope in sync with A16U anyway?
Purusha

Post by Purusha »

Can someone explain technically why would clocking the Scope card together with clocking the A16Ultra be a better improvement? :roll:

Why is clocking the A16Ultra not enough?

I need to justify the 200€ investment :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

because, clock is best transmitted directly to each device. hey, i don't know why you would complain. i tried to talk you out of getting the clock at all.. :)
Purusha

Post by Purusha »

Thanks Gary. I understand your point that it's not worth it. But have you done any A/B tests with external clocking the CW so far?
garyb

Post by garyb »

i have a rosendahl nanoclocks, but i sync a dat player two AD/DAs and scope.

i definitely think that a real good clock makes a difference, it's suble, but every bit counts.... :wink: the thing about clock is, you really want all the interconnected digital devices to have the exact same clock, that way, all your digital path maintains the data in an orderly fashion, giving the clearest sound. the time period in a clock signal is very small. 44,100 pulses per second, which must be precise. if the signal is shared by two devices, the impedance is lowered and the signal becomes less reliable. if the signal goes from one device to another then there is the chance of corruption in the transfer. therefore, a bnc connector is used from the clock distributor(usually built into the clock), to each clocked device.

so, i have a syncplate. :lol:

no point in getting a clock without a syncplate. the clock in the A16 is not that bad, but if you want to maximize potential(which is not to say that badly recorded, mixed or mastered audio will suddlenly sound good), then by all means, get a clock they're great. if you can afford a clock, you can afford a syncplate, it's part of the cost. many systems can't be fully synced to a master clock....

so, sorry if i seemed negative on the clock, i guess i was really fighting doing all the typing. :lol:
Purusha

Post by Purusha »

Thanks Gary, got the full picture now. Will go for it and let you know if I got any better results :)
Janni

Post by Janni »

afaik you have to connect the a16 via ADAT with scope if you want to sync it with wordclock. So your ZLink IOs would be lost for scope...
If you use Zlink, scope has to be master (at least master for a16).
You cant use Zlink connections and "Sync to WC" at the same time!
Just as a reminder... :wink:
Cheers,
Jan
-/-
Purusha

Post by Purusha »

So I have to use the light pipe between the Scope and A16U and ditch the Z link cables?

Is this bad in any way?