A few questions if someone would be so kind - thanks.....

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

k500zm

A few questions if someone would be so kind - thanks.....

Post by k500zm »

Hi - havent been here for a few years now as I've had a break from music (but still am up to date - more of a hobbyist at the mo ;) )

I have an athlon xp2400 cpu 1gb ram and Pulsar 2 running sfp3.1c

I have no problems running sx3 with 44.1kHz at 7ms latency everything works ok with no crackles or freezing :)

NOW - I compared the quality running sx3 with the pulsar set at 96kHz and it sounds great - But the computer freezes up after using more than one vst or scope device :( - so It is unusable...

my questions are

1 - Is it possible to run the pulsar and sx3 at 96kHz ? would I have to upgrade my pc by miles ?

2- Is it really necessary to use 96kHz as the end result will be on cd etc (except for live gigs where it would shine)

It seems the creamware cards are pretty old now

Are the new standard cards you can get at the mo (like the emu 404 ) capable of running sx3 at 96kHz on a pc spec like mine with no problems ?

3 Is there any point in upgrading to scope 4 etc ?

I hope you get the jist of what I'm trying to say and any feedback would be most appreciated

garyb

Post by garyb »

1. yes, it's possible. some plugins won't work at 96k

2. imho, 96khz is a waste of resources. you'll have less than half the resources available at 44.1k and as you noted, you'll end up at 44.1k and kill any benefits of 96k anyway. also, the age of the cards is not an issue here, period.

3. sure, scope 4.5 will give you a few new devices, it's a good buy, but not related to this issue.
k500zm

Post by k500zm »

Thanks for the feedback garyb