Real Analog Filters

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Real Analog Filters

Post by dawman »

Are there ways to incorporate hardware analog filters from say the Moog 100's, or Oberheim SEM's to CW Modular ? I can add all other vintage analog and hardware digital effects to the project window, but I would love to add say the SEM filters, or a custom made one, and use Assaf, and John Bowens Oscillators.

I heard some analogics, and didn't really like them as much as the old FAT BASTARDS of yore . But the rack mounted analog ones, as well as the old CV style filters could give modular a much needed circuitry buzz..

Moxi had an Oakley that I have never heard before, but reputable ancient players I know say it is superior in many ways.

Just an idea. As I have seen CV modules and are curious if this can be done.

Thanks, but I Will Have Many More Questions I'm Afraid,
Last edited by dawman on Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

The 8 in/8 out Modular shell has a lot of "aux" external routing possibilities, but also the normal one, if you don't use the 2 ins for some other purpose and you just go out stereo, offers 2 ins and 2 outs for additional routing.....using also the the new matrix modules you could manage different stages / oscillators to be mixed to external processing/filtering.... :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

This is exactly what I want to do, I want the sound of the analog, and the flexibility of Modular.

So I can actually use parts of a real modular analog and incorporate it with CW Modular, and Adern ? I just want to be sure before I start researching this, and securing certain sections. I'm thinking that everything I need I already have except for the filters. The digital filters seem like the Achilles Heel of all digital synths. I guess I'm just an old crab about that, but I hope I can use these.

I quit using the 2600S years ago as it was a major PITA to use live. But I could handle a small rack close by and patch with these perhaps. I would still use CW 's / Adern / Zarg filters as well. But it seems to me that if I want a more analog sound, using CV filters would be a good start.

Thanks Alfonso, And Thanks 4 Your Contributions W / The Adern Team.
dawman

Post by dawman »

So if this is applicable, I would send everything out of the modular shell into this and back again correct ? Sounds too good to be true.

I could use all of Aderns, and Zargs exotic Osc's and modules, and then come back into the modular shell and use it's envelopes, and modules ?

Tell me this is true !!

WJ's bitchin' gotta go, We are sleeping under the stars tonight @ Mt. Charleston, since contact w/ our own species is always disappointing.

I shall read this tomorrow.

Imagine. CW Modular / Flexor III / SpaceF / Zarg / Oberheim / Moog / Synthesizers.com all under the same hood.

Fuckin' A.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

Sure...the cool thing is that if you have the shell's I/O's available you can do a lot of things.....

I was thinking also on how to use signals generated inside the modular (ramps, lfo's) to use as a control voltage for the external filters....I'm not sure but I remember to have read that the maximum voltage coming out from a card's analog output is around 1,5 volts, that should be the maximum value produced by the converters if a ramp is routed directly to the analog out ( don't send it to speakers, never!).
Now, making a small amplifier to bring that 1,5 voltage to the 5 or 10 volts needed usually for analog modules modulation shouldn't be an issue for a good electronics tech ands the cost should be really low....Imagine using FleXor ramps and shapers or value sequencers or granulators to send modulation voltages to your external filter.....it would have a blast and do things unheard on this planet....and you could program in the modular it's activity!

:)
dawman

Post by dawman »

This is awesome news. Modular has really got me excited.

I am just elated to know that when Solaris hardware synth comes, I will have a 3 x card DAW for Gigastudio 3, and Modular using Flexor's ingenius modules.

BTW I really think that your Oxyde patch is an awesome mono synth. I was messing with it and added a Mix 2 module, and found how great of a mono synth this patch is. It is extremely FAT.

I have arranged the patches I like so that when the window is shrunk down to it's smallest size, I can still reach a level, MIDI channel, and transposition knob.

I just got back from the mountain cabin where I camped out w/ Wilma. The stars were beautiful. We camped at it's peak, but once the sunrise is over, the tourists start coming so we booked back home. I have to write this while she swims, as our time together is breif.

She still plays EOS and is busting my balls to record her something also.

You should make another CD. Never let the lack of sales discourage you, as everyone who heard it here loves it. Especially the dancers.

Thanks 4 The Awesome News, I Will Research This And Keep You Informed,

Arrivederci,
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

alfonso wrote:Sure...the cool thing is that if you have the shell's I/O's available you can do a lot of things.....

I was thinking also on how to use signals generated inside the modular (ramps, lfo's) to use as a control voltage for the external filters....I'm not sure but I remember to have read that the maximum voltage coming out from a card's analog output is around 1,5 volts, that should be the maximum value produced by the converters if a ramp is routed directly to the analog out ( don't send it to speakers, never!).
Now, making a small amplifier to bring that 1,5 voltage to the 5 or 10 volts needed usually for analog modules modulation shouldn't be an issue for a good electronics tech ands the cost should be really low....Imagine using FleXor ramps and shapers or value sequencers or granulators to send modulation voltages to your external filter.....it would have a blast and do things unheard on this planet....and you could program in the modular it's activity!

nice thought!
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

I thought about these option too and wondered if there could be problems with control signals(env,...) routed to the analog outs as this would be discovering new land and opportunities.

But I would def. be more interested if MATHIAS KLAG and co( PIEHL?) would be taken back into soniccore boat and build up one or more high class modular filters utilizising their special technology to capture analog gear and interpolation/antialiasing on resonance.

Finally I think this would round up the platform to an extremly powerful system, as we could build extremly high quality sounding synths on our own in modular..
Not that the modular doesn`t sound good, but with high ressonance settings the sound could improve imo.

Personally this would make me really hot.
Using an external analog filter may get nice results, but its a bit a step back in workflow and does not integrate perfectly into a project while saving.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

think of something like this

would be mind blowing
Attachments
a_dream.JPG
a_dream.JPG (110.79 KiB) Viewed 3806 times
dawman

Post by dawman »

I was just getting over the excitement of watching my sweetie doing her yoga in a bikini, and playing my rig, and now you post this ?!!

I wouldn't trade my life for all of the Tea In China, or the Diamonds In Capetown !!!

I agree on the workflow, but I have heard the greatest programmers and their filters, and must conclude that the real thing has no DSP equal, sorry to disagree w/ you 4 once HiFiBoom, but my ears tell me that the old beasts I use to and still play, lack in the filters area. But other than that, I can't see creating the modules Assaf and the Adern Team create in hardware. So as usual I want the best of both worlds.

Afterall, we are not communists.........................Don Barzini.....GODFATHER I.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

Jimmy, no problem with other opinions over here.

Generally this is the base for a discussion, i`sn`t it?
:P
So basically you say real analog filters sound better than digital counterparts in any case?

I wouldn`t disagree that the flexibility of Mod3 with F3 is unmatched in almost every direction.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Here's what I would love to incorporate into the Modular 8 x 8 shell, if someone could give me a straight answer.

I am awiting the MOTM reply, but I have found what I want if it is indeed possible to use in a hybrid modular synth.

I did remember the CS-80 BP Filter sound was the best part of that synths sound, and could not get that nasaly strength even in the Matrix 12 / XPander combo. And this triple res filter is definately able to reproduce that Oberheim sound. So these mixed with our digital oscillators, and filters should just about cover everything in terms of FAT.