Simple Stereo Recorder

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

braincell

Simple Stereo Recorder

Post by braincell »

A Simple Stereo Recorder

I'm not happy with the VDAT. It is complicated to use. Just to record something takes many clicks. It is not innovative because like many CW devices, it is a replica of outdated hardware. If you just want to make a simple mix, you have to make 8 tracks of virtual tape and at 24 bits, it takes an enormous amount of disk space plus the VDAT is very CPU intensive. After I record a mix, I must open another program to merge the 2 mono tracks. That's right, as incredibly stupid as this might seem, the VDAT is not stereo! I merge the tracks (in another program) and I save it as a now stereo file and delete the VDAT tracks, The other 6 tracks were empty anyway because the VDAT forces you to use 8 tracks even if you only need 2.

The Alesis ADAT which the VDAT is based on was released in 1991 and is not that spectacular other than the fact that it sounds good. Let's just get away from copying grandpa's hardware and make original software which is easy to use. Maybe Creamware needs to take acid or something.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

your last two sentences made me laughing :lol:

"copying grandpas hardware" :lol:
To a certain degree, I have to agree. I never use vdat.

But I think it is a good idea. There should be an insert plug-in for the master chain, where you can create a file f.e. "record.wav" and there should be a record and stop button.

once you press stop the file naming automatically increases to "record2.wav"

just a wav recorder. :)
braincell

Post by braincell »

The thing is that the VDAT does sound better than Cubase for recording. I think Steinberg Jones had to make some compromises in order to make Cubase work well with many tracks and on different systems. Creamware could use the VDAT technology and make a simpler module. I had to use the RC-128 with the VDAT because it was the only way I could get Cubase to sync. It's nice to have a synced recording in case you might want to add something later.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

you really think it sounds worse when your record the mix into cubase?

mmm :o

I don`t know. Would be intereseting if someone could analyse this ... :)
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

deleting & renaming 8-track VDAT tapes isn't exactly the best way to use VDAT afaik. Why would you want to continually delete & have to remake the virtual tapes, when you could just keep re-loading the same one ... over & over. When you get a take with tracks you want to keep, just copy what you want to another location.

anyway, a stereo recorder for Scope would sell very well, so maybe it's something the new team in germany could organise to keep us all happy. :P