Vista OEM

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

minipax

Vista OEM

Post by minipax »

Hi, i wish to get vista for my new system and i want to get the OEM version because it's all i can afford. trouble is, you have to choose either 32-bit or 64-bit versions. am i right in thinking that my Pulsar card won't work with the 64-bit version?
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

Yes. Take the 32bit version. 64bit is not as good as it seems, in most cases it's useless. It's a question too, if Scope works actually with Vista. Try a search here in Z.

Cheers, Thomas
minipax

Post by minipax »

Herr Voigt wrote:It's a question too, if Scope works actually with Vista. Try a search here in Z.

Cheers, Thomas
i'm going on what the guys in this post have said...

http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... ta&start=0
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Vista is a 3Gb visrus!!! :o
Stay away from it...
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
manfriday

Post by manfriday »

I'm a computer geek at a national accelerator laboratory in the states..
I have been using vista (or at least trying to) since it was released to us in beta form last year.

It's still not ready for prime time in my opinion. I'd avoid it for another year if I were you.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

but if you cannot live without transparent 3-dimensional windows? :D
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, just wait and run xp for now. you won't be missing out on anything, yet.
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

Steer clear of Vista. Microsoft really outdid themselves in the lameness stakes this time it seems. 3482873592 different versions (great idea for stability and user-friendliness :( ), a GUI that sucks CPU (until you change it to XP/classic :lol: ) and compatibility problems. And even if they resolved all these things it still would never touch the elegance of OSX.
bassdude

Post by bassdude »

Get Vista 32 bit on your new computer. Then image the system. Format, re-install with XP and make music while waiting for Vista Service Pack 1.
Stuart.
hubird

Post by hubird »

darkrezin wrote:And even if they resolved all these things it still would never touch the elegance of OSX.
ahhh... :-D

On my job's place I had to find an email address lately.
(I have an XP machine in my bedroom, but don't use it for email).
Man, it was crazy how many windows I had to wrestle though to find something.
Ugly, chaoticly, unlogically, I can't believe it.
Just a simple alphabetical list was what I needed, I could have murdered someone after ten minutes :o
And that was only XP, which should be already mature!
Well, maybe that's what Vista is all about, creating order in chaos.
If so, that would be a huge step for menkind! :-D
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

manfriday wrote:I'm a computer geek at a national accelerator laboratory in the states..
I have been using vista (or at least trying to) since it was released to us in beta form last year.

It's still not ready for prime time in my opinion. I'd avoid it for another year if I were you.
Thanks manfriday.

Guy please tell me what's wrong with Xp.

Most solid OS I've had,why change?

Can actually record music without kicking comp anymore!
minipax

Post by minipax »

well, i do want to stick with XP, but i lost my disc.. duuuuh... :evil:

so, my choice is that i buy Xp again, (even though i already have the licence and product key!) or i can buy vista, which, lets face it, we're gonna all have to buy anyway in the near future if we wanna use the latest apps that use DX10 or whatever...

and i don't want to pay good money for old rope (which is ironic, since vista isn't anything other than old rope anyway...)..so it looks like i may have to bite the bullet..
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

hubird wrote:
darkrezin wrote:And even if they resolved all these things it still would never touch the elegance of OSX.

Just a simple alphabetical list was what I needed, I could have murdered someone after ten minutes :o
you are dissing an email client, not XP :)
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

with all its faults, xp is rock solid on a good pc.
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

bassdude wrote:Get Vista 32 bit on your new computer. Then image the system. Format, re-install with XP and make music while waiting for Vista Service Pack 1.
you could as well start with installing XP and save time and hard disc space (or whereever you plan to put the image on).
the result is almost the same, apart from less grey hair.
plus you have the chance to install vista later onto a system which is more capable of running it: the system you replace the above mentioned one with :)

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
garyb

Post by garyb »

piddi wrote:
hubird wrote:

you are dissing an email client, not XP :)
:lol:
yeah, even outlook express for all it's faults is only one click away and your mail's in your face. i think osx looks fabulous, but all those dancing, rotating windows remind me of the amusement park....vista's a nice dream gone creepy bad with all those transparent floating things. they're both too much sugar in my cornflakes. i want to use the app, not play with the desktop....
hubird

Post by hubird »

just turn the tricks off...
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

I've always been a Windows user (for about 15+ years now) but I must say that OSX has been growing on me a lot. The 'apple time' slowness is a bit strange at first, but somehow it seems to take on zen properties as you get used to it. The system preferences is a dream to use compared to control panel & the 958709345 other silly configuration tools in Windows. If there's one thing that OSX does is it stops you worrying about/fiddling with your computer so much, and you just get on with using the apps that you need. I love the fact that most apps are simply 1 file, rather than putting lots of extra stuff all over the place into bizarre system file folders etc. It's also possible to do virtually everything with keyboard commands. Also the new intel machines are really fast and is a good way to get a really solid, stable multi-core machine that runs OSX and Windows XP (you can even run Vista on it if you're particularly insane).

The only annoying things on Mac for me are:

1. Finder - this file manager is ancient and cumbersome. It cannot merge nested folders, something that makes certain tasks very tedious.

2. Permissions - these really are very annoying and do get in the way sometimes.

The 3D task manager in Vista compared to the F9/F10/F11 keys on OSX. It's true that OSX can turn into multi-window overload sometimes, but these keys make it really manageable.
hubird

Post by hubird »

F9:
all windows are layed down on the screen without overlap (so they get smaller than originally), the desktop color gets darker to show the special state.
Click the window you want to work on, it'll jump to the forground and everything is back to normal again.

F1:
empties visually the desktop (kinda 'hide all'), to find that one just downloaded file etc.: all windows move to a position 'outside the screen', just a small edge stays visible.
pressing F11 again or clicking that edge brings all back to the state it was before the action.

/ The only thing I don't like so much is the admin/user access structure, but that's Unix (I live on my own and am the only 'user').
It wants me to put user files in dedicated folders ('audio', picturers', etc.) on the same disk as the OS is on.
You don't must follow this 'advise' tho, you can choose your own pathes of course, but coming from OS9 it confused me.

These things are not an 'amusement park', these are tools to work intuitively and fast.
One doesn't have to agree to every solution the mac OS offers for handling certain operations, but working with it you immediately see and feel that people thought about every aspect in depth.

(However there are critics (like in mag. MacFan) saying that Apple seems to slowly loose grip on consistency of window functions presentation and other details. It causes working intuitively and predictable more difficult).

Anyway, a mac may look too fancy for your taste, yet (still) just works :-D
To quote a line by Gary:
Now that Apple machines are built on Intel, there's no reason anymore not to buy a mac.
Not sure about every single word Gary :-D
garyb

Post by garyb »

:lol:
i said that?
actually, a mac is a great, but overpriced machine(the parts are worth about $1000 at full retail). it works well and if you like it, use it. it's not that different than any other pc, however, except that it tries to force you to give all your computer money directly to apple(bill gates).... :lol:

apple's business pratices are not defendable imho, though. the g5 and osx are a perfect case in point. motorola and pcix to intel and pci-e in 6 months, os9 to osx.1,.1,.3,.4 in about a year and a half, all requiring software updates/purchase of new software to be able to stay current....it's worse than m$'s behavior(bill gates again). considering how loyal mac users are, and how much they've done to support that platform and all through thick and thin, apple should treat them much better, not as cows on a factory farm needing milking....just my thoughts, not a reflection on the product itself, which is a good one(in spite of the circus graphics :) )

btw- pcs "just work", too. mine do anyway....