A good motherboard (The pci-express issue)

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

broken_halo

Post by broken_halo »

I think i made a mistake by putting an asus p-5rd1-v in my system . Im getting way too many freezes when im trying to do heavy mixing from my cakewalk producer 5 through my 2448.I was told that pci-express was probably my problem.I have no known conflicts with my irq , function , etc.Im running an intel 3 ghz , with 2 gigs of ram so i know its not power. I just want the pci overloads and the freezing to cease.If there is a better mother board that anyone knows of let me know , I would like to get this resolved so i can get back to work. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Broken Halo
The Little Studio
broken_halo

Post by broken_halo »

Ok I think i may have got it figured out , with some help from some older forum topics. It seems to be a problem with the ACPI (Advanced Configuration And Power Interface) what you have to di is change it to standard p.c . I did that and i havent had a freeze yet , and it is running better as well. here are the best directions on how to do it

*BE WARNED - YOU CAN NOT REVERSE THE EFFECTS OF CHANGING TO STANDARD COMPUTER WITHOUT A REFORMAT , YOU HAVE BEEN WANRED.*

>You can also change from ACPI to Standard PC in you device manager.
>1: press Windowskey + Pausebreak to enter system properties.
>2: Open 'hardware' tab.
>3: Click 'Device manager'
>4: Click on the + symbol in front of 'computer'
>5: Double-click 'Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC'
>6: Open 'driver' tab
>7: Select 'update driver'
>8: Select 'Install from a specified location'
>9: Select 'Don't search, I will choose the driver to install'
>10: Select 'Standard PC' (maybe you need to de-select the 'Show compatible hardware'
>box)
>11: Click next and follow instructions.
>After reboot, WinXP will re-detect all devices and re-map all IRQ's. But be aware
>... you can not 'roll-back' this driver to ACPI. After you've installed the standerd
>PC driver you machine also won't shut-down automatically anymore when you quit Windows.
>You will need to power off manually when it says 'It's now safe to turn of your computer'.
>
>Good luck,

when it finds all of your hardware again it will enable them , as well be sure to have your scope drivers handy , it will ask for you to re-install them.

Its workin for me , just thought ide pass on the good news

broken_halo
The Little Studio
H-Rave

Post by H-Rave »

you don't have to re-format your computer when you change to standard pc to acpi!.Re-install windows and before the windows installation kicks in press F5 and choose your computer type.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: H-Rave on 2006-03-12 12:54 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: H-Rave on 2006-03-12 12:56 ]</font>
AndreD

Post by AndreD »

pci-express is surely not the problem, p5 wd 2 p works amazing fast here!

running a p5 board in standard-pc mode is not a good idea, are you using scope midi-in??

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AndreD on 2006-03-12 13:14 ]</font>
H-Rave

Post by H-Rave »

I'm just trying to accentuate the fact that the guy 1. talks to himself 2.comes up with random nonsense.and 3. tells us to format our hard disks without knowing anything about Windows.Good news like that you can keep it to yourself mate!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: H-Rave on 2006-03-12 13:28 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: H-Rave on 2006-03-12 13:28 ]</font>
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

Modern motherboards don't need to be run in Standard PC mode anymore. There's another issue here.

By the way, you can "roll-back" Standard PC back to ACPI. I've done it before, and it works fine.

PCI-E shouldn't cause any crashes, as the only issue was PCI overflows with fast graphic cards. Are you running GigaStudio? Msg32.exe would often cause lockups for me; I ended up having to disable it.

Cheers,

Shayne
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com
AndreD

Post by AndreD »

On 2006-03-14 14:50, Shayne White wrote:
Modern motherboards don't need to be run in Standard PC mode anymore. There's another issue here.

By the way, you can "roll-back" Standard PC back to ACPI. I've done it before, and it works fine.

PCI-E shouldn't cause any crashes, as the only issue was PCI overflows with fast graphic cards. Are you running GigaStudio? Msg32.exe would often cause lockups for me; I ended up having to disable it.

Cheers,

Shayne
strange, we have a much better pci-performance with pci-express boards here...
(up to 20 mv) ...just strange...