About UAD1

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

JamMusic

Post by JamMusic »

Hi
does anyone know if it slow down pci to use uad1 with 2 pulsar II cards?
I hesitate between this or more dsp
thanx
gedas

Post by gedas »

Hi,
I'm using Powerpulsar, 2 PulsarII, UAD-1 and Powercore element on the same machine, highest useable load was like 70% on SFP, 80% UAD-1, 70% Powercore. Beyond that it gets real slow. So Your 3 cards should be no problems at all.
JamMusic

Post by JamMusic »

big thanx

can you tell me what kind of computer you've got
mother bord Cpu memory

thanx again
AndreD

Post by AndreD »

On 2004-10-09 07:35, gedas wrote:
Hi,
I'm using Powerpulsar, 2 PulsarII, UAD-1 and Powercore element on the same machine, highest useable load was like 70% on SFP, 80% UAD-1, 70% Powercore. Beyond that it gets real slow. So Your 3 cards should be no problems at all.
even with multiple instances of p100?
gedas

Post by gedas »

One instance of P100, single masterverb Pro, Lexicon Core Studio verb through ADAT, Classicverb from Powercore. Haven't experimented much pushing to the extreme as I've got Powercore element just a week ago, mainly as I want to add Sony plugins later.
Basic Pitch

Post by Basic Pitch »

I have running,

- Scope Pro, UAD-1, Powercore PCI: and I can load this stuff up heavilly, pretty much 80% in all three cards with out noticing a single issue, this also only uses maybe 15% CPU and I am guessing thats just the graphics loads, lets me still have tons of room for many audio tracks, native plugs and just about what ever I want.

Im using a P4 3.2c with an Intel D875PBZ and a gig or ram.

Cheers!
siberiansun

Post by siberiansun »

no need to worry, a friend of mine has 2xpulsar2 + UAD-1 without a glitch.

if you're choosing between a 3rd cw card or a UAD-1..

i'd put my money on the UAD-1!
which i already did 2 times. there's NOTHING like their compressors/eq's/limiters!!

however it all depends on your preferences, i don't use synths so mixing tools is all i need.

come to think of it, the optimaster is all i use...
medway

Post by medway »

the sonalksis comp is as good as the uad la2a and vinco can match the 1176. i solkd my uad because of those two.
steffensen

Post by steffensen »

well, the sonalksis compressor is great! but very different sounding from UAD ones. i find UAD efx more firm and "hardware" sounding actually.. more of the real big studio sound some how.
valis

Post by valis »

I know why the UAD sounds better...its a long complicated answer they teach in marketing school!

j/k
Stige

Post by Stige »

if you're choosing between a 3rd cw card or a UAD-1..
My personal preference would be 3rd pulsar, no question. Sorry for off topic. I made my first customer recordidng with VDAT & pulsar mixer only, though used uad-1 plugin for offline processing (bass guitar). The sound quality couldn't be achieved with s/w sequencers like cubase. It just sounded right and the band noticed it too, even without technical understanding.
JamMusic

Post by JamMusic »

thanx of you all

the choice's more difficult now but thats normal about personal taste
sound like all these cards give good results

by the way anyone knows where to get tubulator III I tried it and like it much
but nothink about it anywhere or about obsidian devices

thanx again
medway

Post by medway »

On 2004-10-10 05:51, rougie wrote:
well, the sonalksis compressor is great! but very different sounding from UAD ones. i find UAD efx more firm and "hardware" sounding actually.. more of the real big studio sound some how.
The sonalksis can be made to sound very close to the uad la2a. it can do a lot more as well as the la2a is kind of a one trick pony (but a good one at that).
sandrob

Post by sandrob »

On 2004-10-16 01:28, medway wrote:
The sonalksis can be made to sound very close to the uad la2a. it can do a lot more as well as the la2a is kind of a one trick pony (but a good one at that).

how can you compare sonalksis comp and la2a? this is not he same thing.
ok, both are compresors with vintage sound, but sonalksis is a clasical compresor (with limiter), while la2a don't have attack and release time, ratio, treshold, knee... la2a have just one swich and one knob to set compresion and it's unbeliveable how sounds good almost on every track in mix.

also, maaaaybe you have alternative for 1176ln in vinco, but what about the uad's firechild or uad's pultec pro?!

btw: i use pulsar, uad and poco in one machine without problem.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sandrob on 2004-10-16 14:07 ]</font>
Astral Fridge Magnet

Post by Astral Fridge Magnet »

I have 3 Pulsar cards. Is it possible to have 3 cards and also install a UAD? I do have 2 PCI slots free.
astroman

Post by astroman »

regarding the data throughput this should be no problem, as only one Pulsar is supposed to exchange data via the PCI bus - SFP's internal communication uses the S/TDM cable connection.

Nevertheless you depend a bit on the grace of Windows and your mobo's bios. The drivers themselves don't interfere with each other.

cheers, Tom

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astroman on 2004-10-17 12:19 ]</font>
ksamus

Post by ksamus »

Hi
I woked using Scope Studio SP, Powercore and UAD-1 with PMac 1.25 and Logic. Everything working just fine, but sometimes i noticed some cracks in the signal when plugins from different boards were used (eg. Logic plugin, Logic i/o with scope insert, uad plugin, PCore plugin, logic plugin). It happened only when large number of plugins were used and ULLI was set to minimal latency.
medway

Post by medway »

On 2004-10-16 14:05, sandrob wrote:
On 2004-10-16 01:28, medway wrote:

how can you compare sonalksis comp and la2a? this is not he same thing.
ok, both are compresors with vintage sound, but sonalksis is a clasical compresor (with limiter), while la2a don't have attack and release time, ratio, treshold, knee... la2a have just one swich and one knob to set compresion and it's unbeliveable how sounds good almost on every track in mix.

also, maaaaybe you have alternative for 1176ln in vinco, but what about the uad's firechild or uad's pultec pro?!

btw: i use pulsar, uad and poco in one machine without problem.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sandrob on 2004-10-16 14:07 ]</font>
Guess you didnt take time to properly read my statement then as I answered your question very simply. again I know the la2a has a simple set of controls compared to the sonalksis, and as I said the sonalksis can be made to sound like it, not the other way around. just because the sonlaksis has more controls means nothing. you just have to set up the sonalksis to operate similarly. the bottom line is that the sonalksis has a similar color and response (when set right) to the la2a. also you are wrong as the la2a do have a ratio control (compress or limit switch, either 4:1 or 10:1) and the threshold knob as well.

Don't have a direct comparsion to fairchild but I do for pultec (glisseq).

Anyways the point of my comment was to refute the statement that someome said that there is "NOTHING" like the uad compressors when in fact there are equivalents in both overal sound quality and specific tone.

Jesse

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: medway on 2004-10-22 23:36 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: medway on 2004-10-22 23:39 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: medway on 2004-10-22 23:49 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: medway on 2004-10-22 23:50 ]</font>
siberiansun

Post by siberiansun »

On 2004-10-22 23:35, medway wrote:
Don't have a direct comparsion to fairchild but I do for pultec (glisseq).
you're not much for listening to things are you?
pultec or pultec pro has no equivalent.
and IF anything should sound similar it's not gliss eq. period.

excuse me but your post seems to be based on inexperience, have you actually HEARD the pultec and A/B compared it to Gliss Eq?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: siberiansun on 2004-10-23 08:55 ]</font>
medway

Post by medway »

Yes I have, thats why I sold the UAD. Go to the voxengo site, there is even a nice thread about emulating the curves in glisseq to match the pultec. The built in eq in SAW also matched it in general terms of sweetness and size.

The fact is im able to get just as nice of a bottom end with glisseq as I did with the pultec. And for the top end I'll use my daking if the glisseq can't provide it. If you have any doubts about the daking I did an a/b to the pultec. The pultec (or pro) was nice in the lows but not a match for the mids or highs. Then again the daking is expensive hardware. But the pultec is supposed to be a true emulation of expensive hardware so its not too unfair to compare it. Also in a recent tapeop article the BF pultec was choosen to sound better than the UAD one as well as the Summit hardware version. So in that case yes there is a replacement (although not for the pro bands)

The only thing glisseq wont do is give you that little volume boost/saturation thing that the pultec does just by turning it on, which is a nice effect but as you can guess there are other things that can get the same or better effect for me. But of course the pultec is much easier to operate. with glisseq you have to work at it to get the curves right.

sorry but you sound like one of the rabid UAD fans that will defend it to the cows come home. Yes its a nice set of plugs but if you REALLY use your ears you can find other plugs to do the same quality (although not the same exact tone).

Once agin I will state that my initial reply was to argue the fact that there is "nothing like" the uad compressors/eq/limiters etc...

In fact there are, maybe not exact copies of the same models the uad provides but quality wise other plugs stand up to be just as good or better.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: medway on 2004-10-25 03:11 ]</font>