GigaStudio 3 & Scope

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

sharcsound

Post by sharcsound »

The Scope platform needs to have the GISF driver updated to the GISF-2 driver.

GSIF-1 will work with Giga 3.0 the same way it does with the current Giga. It allows the GigaStudio to work. (IE playback Giga audio)

However, GSIF-2 offers the ability to take incoming audio, run it through the Giga mixer with the effects (like GigaPulse) and spit it back out. It gives you the ability to use a GigaStudio computer as a giant effects processor if you wish to. You won't be able to do that with GSIF-1 but you would at least be able to play samples as you do right now.

Giga 3 will still work in playback mode with GSIF 1.0 but with 2.0 you get the real time input for processing external sounds and it sounds like a possible improvement in latency.

I would think that the current crop of GSIF card companies will have no problem updating to the new version.

I only know about two manufacturers, Echo and RME, that already have done the GSIF2 implementation for their line of cards.

FWIW, according to the RME driver writers GSIF2 seems to be the best low-latency driver format there is right now.
astroman

Post by astroman »

On 2004-04-17 03:34, sharcsound wrote:
...take incoming audio, run it through the Giga mixer with the effects (like GigaPulse) and spit it back out. It gives you the ability to use a GigaStudio computer as a giant effects processor if you wish to. ...
probably a nice feature for someone without a DSP board and software which does exactly this for years now :wink:

cheers, Tom
rodos1979

Post by rodos1979 »

Hello! :smile:

Tom, how could you route audio into Gigastudio with the current GSIF SFP drivers? There is no GSIF INput drivers! The only thing we (SFP owners) could do in the past before anyone else, is to route the output(s) of Giga in any way we liked.
A Creamware system has been up to now the best solution for a GigaStudio system (Hans Zimmer is not stupid to have chosen it), and it should stay the same.
I vote for GSIF2 drivers too.

P.S. The only reason I d like to use Gigastudio as an effects-processor is because this giga-pulse looks sexy... Although, I am quite happy already with SIR :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rodos1979 on 2004-04-17 08:51 ]</font>
WayneSim

Post by WayneSim »

I put my vote for GSIF 2 Drivers.

I will be buying GS3 as soon as it released! "GS2.5 96 > GS3 Ensemble $149". Is hard to pass up!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: WayneSim on 2004-04-17 22:32 ]</font>
enb141

Post by enb141 »

Yeah, another vote for GSIF 2
astroman

Post by astroman »

On 2004-04-17 08:48, rodos1979 wrote:
...P.S. The only reason I d like to use Gigastudio as an effects-processor is because this giga-pulse looks sexy...
didn't know that it was a part of GS :wink:
anyway, tnx for the hint which made me browse the Giga part of the Tascam site
pretty good, impressive...

should I really be entitled to a $200 rebate due to my recently aquired 'any other version of Gigastudio' ? :lol:
$399 for the convolution fx plus the sampler and the new piano and a VSTI host doesn't read that bad...
ok, I also vote for the version 2 drivers :grin:

cheers, Tom
WayneSim

Post by WayneSim »

Anyone got any news yet? It would be great if SFP could handle GSIF 2!!!!!!!! Maybe we need to hassle creamware :wink:.
valis

Post by valis »

If I were a giga-user I would definately be emailing them at every opportunity to ask for this. It would look great in their next update.
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

Get in line. We Sonar users have been asking for proper WDM drivers for years, and nothing's happened. :sad:

Go ask the open-source volunteer guys if they're interested in doing anything.

Shayne
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Sonar support Asio2, and asio is better...

But i agree, WDM driver are horrible, almost unusable :eek:
Ashkenazy

Post by Ashkenazy »

GS 3 is almost out. I also hope Creamware will create GSIF2 drivers for GS3.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

I gave Creamware a call....

tech-support said first Giga-3 has to be released before they could work on new drivers. They also said that all drivers will be updated at the given time...

And another GSIF-2 vote !!
Ashkenazy

Post by Ashkenazy »

That sounds good!
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

Surely Tascam would provide the documentation for GSIF-2 *before* they released the product! After all, other companies already have GSIF-2 drivers.

Frankly I'm not sure if we're going to see anything at all this year. :sad: They lost most of their employees.

Shayne
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com
Kymeia

Post by Kymeia »

If GSIF2 is the best driver in terms of latency etc would it be theoretically possible to use it as a replacement for ASIO and WDM to work with apps other than Gigastudio?
astroman

Post by astroman »

of course it would - nothing easier than that, theoretically...
needs only to convince the programmers of Apple, Cakewalk, Pinnacle, Magix, etc to write a new recording interface for their respective apps :wink:

but I really have a problem in understanding the use of of that ms race.
either you are sample accurate - and that's even theoretically impossible (the sapmple needs no time from input to output - aka timewarp) or you have to provide some adjustment anyway.
imho the timing precision itself would deserve more attention :wink:

just my 2 cents, Tom (happy at 13ms)
WayneSim

Post by WayneSim »

GS3 has been released. So has anyone heard anything yet? Where are the GSIF 2 drivers? :wink:.

Lets hope something can be worked out becasue I'm saving up for gigastudio 3 as we speak. I'll hopefully have it in a month or 2. Please give us the drivers Creamware :smile:.
beatpete

Post by beatpete »

Any news on Gsif-2?
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

well, i cant comment on CW gsif2 drivers, but there are some other things to notice:

- Gigastudio can now be used as a VST-plug

- It can incorporate VSTs in its DSP station, but ironically, it doesnt support TC powercore or UAD plugs. I havent seen any reports on how it handles XTC mode, but what the heck, routing is the thing anyways :wink:

- It doesnt support 64 bits processors, or dual cpu setups

- On a positive note, there has been reports of people having achieved 700 note polyphony with GS :S

This info is taken from SOS review in the Jan 05 issue. maybe updates has arrived, im not sure.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: piddi on 2004-12-27 00:44 ]</font>
AltMR

Post by AltMR »

Do somebody among you use GS3 in Scope?
Any experiences ?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AltMR on 2005-01-29 11:22 ]</font>