Idea for all the developers: "midi modular processor"

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

Lima

Post by Lima »

The idea is:
let's make a set of simple midi modules that works on midi signals. The modules can be put in the routing window and connected to each other like usual (by midi virtual cables). Every module makes a different job, for example:

- a module could be a delay that repeat the midi flow after some thick or some beat (user definible)

- a module could alter the pitch (midi note)

- in the same way a module could alter the velocity or the volume or other parameters...

- some modules could make logical operations like and, or, ecc... or make a comparison (> of, < of, equal...)

All these module are dsp light (they work on midi signal) and i thik they are quite simple to write down.
If the idea is cool for many developer (seen that the new sdk is free and accessible to a lot of people) we could make a new forum here in Palnet Z and coordinate the works. Working in parralel (witout making 2 times the same thing by 2 different developers) we have the possibility to make a free huge midi processor (similar to Logic and Max!!!). :smile:

Do you imagine how much power will be added to our sistems??? :grin:
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

YES!

I vote for this at 100%!

Trtansformation of midi could be very very usefull to integrate with surface control.

and building custom arpegio, programmable one, with pattern or scale for example.

Or receive a CC and sending 2 out :smile: for a single control to send multiple CC to non-modular devices.

Midi should be expanded on scope, way behond what it is now
astroman

Post by astroman »

I fully agree :smile:
but I always wondered about the poor midi capabilities in Modular, maybe there's a hidden limit in it's current implementation (?) - or has it just been neglected ?
in the latter case there's a huge potential then :smile:

cheers, Tom
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

It's missing so much in current scope that i developped bunch of small tools in java that do exactly this. But i need more virtual port to make it work. If it was done inside scope, wouldn't need all this.

I can use a mackie control to automate stm1632, with 4-layers, lcd track name and value display, moving fader that updates their position, and total recall of multiple snapshots. I plan on adding support for multiple devices also, with storeable presets.

It should be pretty straitgh forward doing this in the sdk with a minimum of basic midi blocks.

Just using the midi monitor to get values, and transform them according to a preset which store mapping of sysex<->CC or similar should be enough for most needs.

I never understood why it wasn't done so far!?
symbiote

Post by symbiote »

Great idea, and I'd like to see it/use it.

But, Logic does all this already, and has been for years and years!

(Doesn't it shed a bit of mystery on the Logic Zealots? ^_^)

((So I just re-read and Logic was mentionned in the first post, sorry D: I agree it would be awesome to do all this without having to go thru Logic tho heh))

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: symbiote on 2004-10-09 02:11 ]</font>
Lima

Post by Lima »

Re-writing Logic for Scope is an excessive and ambitious project, and i think that it isn't possible to make it in short times. Few basic modules could be enought :cool: :grin: