MIDI channel "converter"

Request a new device/modular module, and hope that some enterprising developer grants your wish!

Moderators: valis, garyb

bosone

Post by bosone »

it would be nice a simple device that receives something from a midi channel and "translates" all the data to another midi channel.
for example, i play on channel 1 and all that i play is directed to channel 2.

why this device should be useful? imagine to have several hardware unit (connected with midi thru) or a single hardware synth that can play on different channels.
with this device you can easily create huge layers of several sounds... you play on channel 1 and you will be able to play your synth (simultaneously) also on channel 2,3 and 4 (for example, with the aid of some SFP midi meger or with some additional functionality in this device), and you will have some kick ass layer sound.
hubird

Post by hubird »

I see what you mean :smile:
But the only problem is triggering a multitimbral synth on different channels, isn't it?
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

I would realy like this too - for ease of controlling mixers and effects live.
bosone

Post by bosone »

But the only problem is triggering a multitimbral synth on different channels, isn't it?
yes, the main use (for me!) would be that one... i'd like a solution inside SFP!
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

And it would be nice to have it, so that channels can be selected with CC, so the external controller can swap channels inside SFP with just one knob (my personal wish).
at0m

Post by at0m »

The synth's and device's MIDI channels can be set with controllers since long...
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
hubird

Post by hubird »

that's right At0mIc :smile:
i thought the question was related to external gear specially...
bosone

Post by bosone »

On 2004-05-31 17:12, hubird wrote:
that's right At0mIc :smile:
i thought the question was related to external gear specially...

Exactly! :smile:
hubird

Post by hubird »

Hi Bosone :smile:
say you play your 'masterkeyboard' via your software sequencer, having active a certain midi track with a certain midi channel.
Now you hear external synth #1, and you would like to hear also and at the same time another sound on another midi channel on the same synth #1 .
(with different synths I don't see any problem, choosing the same midi channel for the second synth).

I can think of two solutions:
1. the software sequencer has a midi specification menu where you can fiddle around with midi channels, like Cubase has. Mirrowing a channel to another channel I can't remember tho, but try a check.
The other way could be -you have to experiment-, create a separate CWA midi seq source module, choose this one as the output of the midi track you're playing through, and put the track's midi channel on 'ANY'.
Next thing to do then is muting all channels on your multitimbral synth that shouldn't sound.

Hm, a newly created midi channel wrapper mirrowing thingy module would be handy, but you have something to try now :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hubird on 2004-06-01 08:33 ]</font>
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

"Any" channel on Cubase means that all incoming channels from the controller are sent out...so you still need to tx on several channels...
Plato

Post by Plato »

Just record enabling any midi track in Cubase allows you to send data out on that track.....do it for multiple tracks for multiple layers.
hubird

Post by hubird »

alfonso

Post by alfonso »

Go to the Devices section... :wink:
ajarink

Post by ajarink »

On 2004-05-31 02:41, bosone wrote:
it would be nice a simple device that receives something from a midi channel and "translates" all the data to another midi channel.
for example, i play on channel 1 and all that i play is directed to channel 2.

why this device should be useful? imagine to have several hardware unit (connected with midi thru) or a single hardware synth that can play on different channels.
with this device you can easily create huge layers of several sounds... you play on channel 1 and you will be able to play your synth (simultaneously) also on channel 2,3 and 4 (for example, with the aid of some SFP midi meger or with some additional functionality in this device), and you will have some kick ass layer sound.

I have that simple device. I bought it 12 years ago for some odd $ 25,--. It's called the MT-06 CH Midi Channel Converter, manufacturer is called Front Works (Japan). It takes any incoming midi channel (or OMNI!) and converts it into any given midi channel. There is a on/off button and an offset button. I have never found a manual. Works like a dream though.