GUI Design

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Basic Pitch

Post by Basic Pitch »

Greetings developers,

I am interested in doing some GUI design work for up and coming scope synths, I wish I could get my hands on the SDK, but since it seems to have vanished some how I figure the next best thing would be to get involved doing some GUI design. After reading the Drum Box thread I started messing around with some ideas, here is a shot of just some ideas thrown into the mix to see how things lay out, its obviously far from complete but a start.

Anyway, I do not know exactly how the creation of Scope GUI's work but I am guessing its stardard graphic formats. If any one is devolping a device and is looking for some GUI's let me know as ide like to try this out some :wink:

Here is the sample I started.

[EDIT] This file is a new upload, smaller compact design and now shows a possible insert section, I slimmed the gui down some to save on screen space.

If this is not up to par with Scope standards, no harm done, just thought I would give it a go, if any one wants to collaborate and try some stuff out let me know :wink:

Cheers!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Basic Pitch on 2004-07-01 19:47 ]</font>
Ganool

Post by Ganool »

Nice design!
wayne

Post by wayne »

looks good :smile:
AndreD

Post by AndreD »

yes, looks nice indeed!
sonolive

Post by sonolive »

really nice gui ...
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Hi Basic Pitch :smile:

I like the design very much :smile: However I would change one thing: from the practical point of view each not used space of any device could be a waste of space. So I would just make the blank part below the device name smaller to achieve the result: a smaller yet very functional and eye-catchy design :smile:
Basic Pitch

Post by Basic Pitch »

Hi there Samplaire,

I know exactly what ya mean, although this was just an idea, and a rough post, the idea was to have more control in those empty spaces, I just didnt get around to putting the dials in yet hehe, I was just posting a early rough draft more or less :wink:

Thanks for the tips though!

Cheers!
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

So then for me it's 100% both useful and ni9ce/pro looking :cool:
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

My own criticism is that I think the slider surface area should be more square. Likewise with the buttons.

That way the mouse has a larger target, not just a thin strip.
Basic Pitch

Post by Basic Pitch »

Thanks for your tips and thoughts on the design. I hope to be able to get more involved in GUI design for scope devices so I thought I would throw this out there and get some feedback :wink:

Thanks gang..
Mehdi_T

Post by Mehdi_T »

Hi there, can I be critical, may be it will help ? that's why I will allow myself a few comments.

I think this gui is simple and efficient.
I like the background texture, very good. also the green LCD display (not sure it would look as good for DP, unless with the right font).

I would say, the gui is OK . It looks like a gui, but that's it. but that's because you did it like a test with no particular device in mind. Here, I see too much device defects to be able to judge the look favorably.
For example, there is no insert on each individual instruments : now to put this, the whole look would have to change a lot. That way, your current GUI wouldn't stand. Another one would have to be made, and it would have a different look.

It is not a matter of the individual buttons, the textures etc... no, no, no. It is more global and I am totally unable to judge the above picture because I am biased to jusge GUI in terms of functionality rather than only the look.

I understand how you made it though, but please go on reading, it might be useful.

My philosophy is that it is only when a device is finished that it is time to think for a gui (but I think other do it just the reverse way).

My advices :

1/ don't think that, if no developper contacted you it is because of the GUI. It is more because of practical problems and financially, it is not very interesting for anybody. Plus some of us have particular tastes or skills that they want to practise.

2/ if you have the possibilty/will, just make another version with a more "thought about" GUI. just imagine what your drumbox should DO (functions) and HOW (user friendliness) .... the LOOK itself comes after (it0 ) counts a lot, but not more than the concept of the device itself - i mean what is the gui of a dev with a super look but no user friendliness or easy access to all functions ? .

Just my two cents, and I know this is not easy (it's just theory :smile: the hardest part is... screen size...

And now I have a qwerty keyboard and have hard time getting used to it (sorry for q=a and w=z :wink: never realised it could be so hard to type smileys hehe

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mehdi_T on 2004-07-20 17:04 ]</font>
Basic Pitch

Post by Basic Pitch »

Thanks for your insight Mehdi :wink:

Actually you are correct, there is no actual device that goes along with this graphic, its just like a tes run to see if I could create a GUI, infact this was GUI #1 hehe, I actually understand fully where your points are directed and it makes perfect sense, if I were to delope a GUI for a particular device clearly I would want to know exactly what capabilties the device contains, all information on where the placement of the rotatary/faders/buttons are located, actual size of device, what important aspects of the GUI need to be pronounced and which need to be less upfront, does the device use paging or would all info need to be on the front screen etc etc.

I hope to soon have something worthy of showing, and I appreciate every ones direction and feedback, it will be most helpfull :wink:

Cheers!
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

you can also ask mehdi to give you some specifics on formats. The graphics have to be made in a certain format to be usable in DP if I remember correctly. I tried making some knobs for mehdi like 2 years ago, and never finished. (sorry mehdi! :smile: )
Mehdi_T

Post by Mehdi_T »

hehe no problem, now I do mine you see :smile:

There might be a thread in this forum where all is explained ? (I remember having said something about it here, unless it was by email? not sure)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mehdi_T on 2004-07-21 06:02 ]</font>
Mehdi_T

Post by Mehdi_T »

I think I can add that is is quite difficult to work on a surface with a
'remote developper". When Laurent did the controls of Synthetic, there were several times when he had to redo a lot of things just because we added or removed a function, or moved some parts a few milimeters.... This, and add the fact that I am picky or had special requests for the general layout of the synths parts, etc... it is actually work and is not always fun...

Basic Pitch, why don't you pick a free device with a standard surface, do a new one, and send it to the developper. Ask him if he is ok, so you don't work for nothing. Then he will tell you what you have to redo :smile:
Myself I have nothing to make you do (all is already done so far).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mehdi_T on 2004-07-22 06:11 ]</font>