how powerfull is a pulsar2 card?please help

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Peezahj

Post by Peezahj »

My point is that you should buy the 4000 & then upgrade to the 5000, that way you'd get both for around the same amount of money. The 4000 uses less DSP than the 5000 so you can get a lot more voices on it, meaning it's worth it to have both.

My system's a Celeron 950 @ 100mhz, older Asus p3b-f mobo (I have a cusl2 but prefer the bx board), & 384mb ram. That's 42-voices w/o real-time stretching, ask me the same question in a few weeks when I've gotten more use out of it if you want to know more.

Any controller will work with just about anything in Pulsar. In fact, the STS samplers are about the only devices to be limited at all in this regard.
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

My system's a Celeron 950 @ 100mhz
gee, you are really underclocking that one! :razz: or did you mean 1000mhz? :lol:
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

9.5 x 66.667 Mhz FSB = 633Mhz Celeron
9.5 x 100 Mhz FSB = 950Mhz Celeron

950 Celeron is 633Mhz Celeron @ 100mHZ FSB :smile:
Peezahj

Post by Peezahj »

:grin:

It's my fault for giving too much information, I just wanted to clarify since I'm not sure if a 950mhz Celeron even exists. [OT] Anyone know about overclocking PIII EB processors now that pc166 memory is available?
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

ah ha - bus speeds . . . :oops:
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Your only chance of hitting 166mhz FSB (or breaking 1Ghz) is with one badass older cD0 stepping Intel chip, or one of the new Tualatin chips -- but I've heard the 800mhz Celerons (8x100) cD0 steppings are breaking 1,000mhz now!
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

2 peezahj: I have the same Board (P3BF), but it´s said not to support more than 700MHz CPUs. So, as you say, you have it running at 950, I guess it DOES support more than 700... does it take a 1GHz P3? I would really like to upgrade my CPU, I have only 500 at the moment.

About the Pulsar cards: They ARE worth every cent they cost; using synths is normally not about having a high polyphony but more to have only few high-quality voices, and the latency-decrease to 3ms is really great for playing/editing in realtime. With MIDI controllers like the Regelwerk (I have a Drehbank) you can easily gain hardware-like control about almost every function in your whole projekt (complete mixer, synths, FX)
If you need a high polyphony, just use the STSs or Sampleplayers, they´ll do fine.
peripatitis

Post by peripatitis »

Well up to now i was based solely on synths
which were not in the sample playback category so obviusly i am much concerned about the polyphony of a synthesizer as well
as it's complexity , however the whole pulsar
inquiry for me began when i desided to go for a sampler , where the polyphony seems to be adequate not to mention the advantage in ram and functionality compared to the hardware ones .At first i was aiming for the
kurzweil 2600 after seeing how low have their prices drop.After my search though the only problem that i found concerning a pulsar
system in the price range i am concidering
is that for a little more i could go for
kyma's basic model which in terms of sound capabilities is far more superior.
What i dont understand basicely is that with creamware you might give a lot of money without having the abillity to make your own synthesisers and effects which is a same(apart from the modular synth) , on the other hand you get higher functionality and quicker results so i still haven't desided whether i want to get in the deep waters once again or choose something more comfortable like pulsar
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

What i dont understand basicely is that with creamware you might give a lot of money without having the abillity to make your own synthesisers and effects which is a same(apart from the modular synth) , on the other hand you get higher functionality and quicker results so i still haven't desided whether i want to get in the deep waters once again or choose something more comfortable like pulsar
Well, are you a musician or an engineer?

I think there´s easily enough synths on the market right now, you just have to use them right. There could be some really better sounding FX around, but they will come by the time, I´m sure. And what do you need high synth polyphony for? Classical piano music on 303 sounds?! I have a mixed setup with hardwaresynths/FX and Pulsar, if I need high polyphony I use my JP8080, FIZMO or Equinox for it, Pulsar does all the mixing/routing in my setup, and many basic synthsounds as well as some extrem samples.
peripatitis

Post by peripatitis »

Basicely i am an electronic musician which means that i am writing music but i am starting from the sound and not the melody ,
concidring that you sould understand why i try to invest in a product that whould broaden the conception i have for sound
so that i could explore new soundscapes.
Yes there are many synths around and many of them i own myself however i am not looking for "that analog sound " or the great bass that f.s.o.l. used or orb,....
Perhaps people forgot what electronic music was about , it wasn't about melody or harmony or lyrics it was about creating a landscape with sounds never used before and not the 303 sound or the moof sound or the oberheim sound , that was at least when all of this started a guitarist's point of view.
And of course i need high polyphony on the synths , because when i am using at least 25 to 30 channels for synthesisers and i want them to flow and interact and experiment with all the possible sound modulations i
dont want to be limited by polyphony issues.
I need a synth for quite more than a bassline a synthline and some drums and at least when i am concidering to pay such an amount i expect to have some of my basic requirements met
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

I see. You have a very distinctive view about electronic music, sounds interesting. Do you have some mp3s online?

I do it both, using quite electronic sounds and like having melodic sequences as well, somewhat ambient/trance/dubtrance-like, a little filmmusic, too. So I met a well-mixed setup. But I did buy a powerpulsar several months ago, now I have a sum of 21DSPs and do not care too much for the polyphony any more. But in that case, there´s a lot more you could spend that amount of money on that will get you a good sound in production as well.
peripatitis

Post by peripatitis »

Don't get me wrong joeka i am not against melody it's a very important aspect of my music too , however i came to realise that pursuing a more mainsteam direction i would'nt be able to set my mark.I started as a rock musician , mostly as a singer but as a keyboard player too ,however whenever i heard stuff like the trilogy from emerson ,lake and palmer or coltrain's music ,and generaly music with that quality
i started to wonder about the music i was writing and whether there was a point in continuing.For me music like any other art form is about evolution and aquiring a personal style and since all people are different they should try more in expressing this.That lead me to electronic music and
powered my interest about sound .
It seems to me that western music in terms of melody and harmony reached saturation.
On the other hand since i am Greek i found that eastern music isn't evolving because it never managed to break the bariers of tradition and , at least in Greece is connected with religion(byzantine music )
On the other hand though this doesn't mean that my music is something special,it might be rubbish and many times i ask my self about that. Now bout pulsar i just feel that
when you give so much as aparently you did having 21 dsp chips they should give you more tools for sound mangling even if you might not be interested in concentating so much in sound and prefer paying more attention in melody and music in the more traditional sence.As for the mp3's i don't have anything in the web,i used too because i did release two songs of mine with a small u.s. ,but those were more mainstream stuff(chill-out music)however i could email you some of my music and i would be very interested in listening to your music too.

record company
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

I don´t have any music that is based on the pulsar sounds only, all of my music uses hardware synths basically. But if you want to hear some of my music, visit http://www.technoforum.de
look into the "my Tracks"-board and you´ll see a "mp3-downloadz"-link. There you´ll find some of my stuff...