International superstars

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

samplaire

Post by samplaire »

Sometimes I wonder if music stars that are most popular here are also well known in other countries.
Unlike other countries - you listened to music that was available here. So radio speakers created and modified our music preferences - it's difficult to understand but it was like this . There was once an art/hard rock group called Budgie (British or Australian - I don't remember). I know it was popular ONLY in Poland. There were many others, I'm sure. For example - there was once a very popular singer Afric Simone. There was almost hysteria about him in mid '70 here in Poland but I'd like to know if you ever seen him at all in your countries???

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2003-03-07 09:16 ]</font>
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

I've nevre seen him or heard of him, but with his whacky costume, he sure does turn me on! LOL
spacef

Post by spacef »

wahaha, LOL,..... never seen this guy.

Who wants to be a superstar after that :smile:
Micha

Post by Micha »

:lol: HOT! but sorry, not known in West-Germany.
We just discussed this remembering the summer of 71 here in Berlin and how from this event starting things changed. In 72 I wasn't able to bring a Pink Floyd LP across the border! Only one year later! Strange to hope to prevent people from listening to good music. You know Santana's Caravanserei? That was one of the resulting missing LPs for our friends. And many followed...
Maybe we had too many good Doors, Dead, Stones etc. albums in our luggage and certainly we have been too much "My Generation". Just one generation listening to the same music.
hubird

Post by hubird »

Never saw this cowboy somewhere, haha.
But I know what you mean, like being on holyday in foreign you hear obvious big hits on the national radio, but you never hear them at home.
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

To Micha: you were going from west to east Berlin, I presume? No surprise - everything was weird here and there (eastern block)

To Spacef: strange as I've heard he came to Poland from... France :lol: But he sung in an African dialect. He used to lift chairs up with his teeth, to jump across stages etc.
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

I think 99% of us can recognize the tune from the very beginning. Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce: the legendary AFRIC SIMONE:

http://www.galernicy.art.pl/karton/empetrzy/p2.mp3

He was VERY popular in Poland but now he seems to be an old school guru for all generations. I found some reviews about his 'The best of' CD: It's fantastic they published the CD but the '70's LP release had the advantage of being the same good at both 33RPM and 45RPM :cool:
borg

Post by borg »

:lol: i recognize the tune. i think every country had it's local artist doing a version of it. our's is called 'de soep is aangebrand', something like ' the soup is burned'.
i have never heard of afric simone though. looks like he didn't make it through the village people auditions.

here's our local hero (he didn't do the song, btw)
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

WoW! He reminds me ours:
Jerzy Polomski

But, Andy, Yours has got more stylish haircut, I'm afraid :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2003-03-07 07:08 ]</font>
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Note to samplaire...

Can't believe you mentioned Budgie. I am a big fan of that group. I was first turned on to their music while I was stationed in Germany back in the late 70's. I like all their early stuff (with guitarist Tony Bourge). Great stuff if you like a sort of hard, raw, stripped down sound. They were a 3-piece from Cardiff, Wales. The bassist/singer sounded a bit like early Geddy Lee.

Their music would never fly by today's standards but I still listen to their CD's ever now and then. There are a few websites devoted to the group and they have been known to re-group and tour every so often (sadly, without Tony Bourge). I thought their later stuff was a bit too, I don't know, weak. They got away from the riff-style tunes to more pop style.

To my knowledge, they never got more than a small cult following here in the US. I know they were more well-known in Europe. Never got to see them in concert but I have their live album.

Well, nuff said :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: krizrox on 2003-03-07 07:34 ]</font>
spacef

Post by spacef »

On 2003-03-06 11:13, samplaire wrote:
He used to lift chairs up with his teeth, to jump across stages etc.
We have to take gym courses right now, lifting chairs with my teeth is something I really forgot to work (ah, i should spend much less time making songs.... if you can't lift chairs with teeth, it's useless :smile: )
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

On 2003-03-07 07:32, krizrox wrote:
Can't believe you mentioned Budgie.
Well, you put a new light in this case. I thought (actually, I have been told so) it was popular in Poland, only. I have to say I wasn't a big fan of Budgie but my close friend was/is so the names you mentioned are familiar for me. The music is also close to my heart though I was always a synth fan: Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, etc. Hmm, sometimes you discover an artist for yourself and next, after many years you realize you were the only to be blind before :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samplaire on 2003-03-07 09:15 ]</font>
samplaire

Post by samplaire »

We have to take gym courses right now, lifting chairs with my teeth is something I really forgot to work (ah, i should spend much less time making songs.... if you can't lift chairs with teeth, it's useless :smile: )
Do you remember the guy from Boney M. ?

he used to walk under a stick placed about 50cm above the floor (hehe). To be honest Boney M. '70s music was better produced than Simone's music. Even more! Boney M. music (if you like it or not) was perfectly produced! I still take their 'Nightflight to Venus' lp and listen to the fat sounding drums, synth textures and guitar & string arrangements!
Micha

Post by Micha »

Oh yeah, the Munich sound. But somehow it all sounded like Dancing Queen. ABBA IMHO did this step to that full+rich arrangements.
Yes, I am Wessie (=West-German citizen). At that time we still had that choque from August 68, so we were hoping that 71 would lead to a more open relationship. Amazing how a bunch of blockheads can bang themselves out of business and well done, Lech Walesa & friends.
If music's not your friend, you don't get far. YEAH! :razz:
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

One of the most important Argentinean rock musicians ever, Luis Alberto Spineta, a real inspired poet and musician. I have heard his music so very much… If you want to know more, here I’m passing you a few links, hope you can understand some Spanish, some are in plain English. You can download some songs so you know.

http://www.ciudad.com.ar/ar/portales/mu ... 10203a.ram

http://guia.tercera.cl/especiales/spinetta01/ Image

http://www.laspinetta.com.ar/

http://www.netgates.com.ar/spinetta/

http://ar.geocities.com/nucleusprog2/lu ... inetta.htm

For me, one of those guys which holds a magical world inside themselves… a very, very special person…