Turntables, tonearms, cartridges, preamps

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Wondering what you all are using for playing vinyl? Want to upgrade a 20 year old turntable for LP-CD conversion.

Also, anyone using Soundforge/Noise Reduction 2.0? Or something similar? If so, feedback?
astroman

Post by astroman »

hi krizrox,

I'm very happy with a Dual 701 with Ortofon OM20 pickup and a rather inexpensive Pro-Ject Phonobox preamp (both MM/MC).
On a difficult case I compared Spectral Design's DeClicker with Osiris and found them on par. The DeClicker is a perfect piece of software, only a couple of options but phantastic results.
Osiris is (a little) more difficult to use, but since I got it with Triple it spares me $ 300 :smile:
I can't really explain, but from subjective experience I found at least some 12" vinyl maxis have a superior sound quality than the CD release.
So now I find myself recording with Pulsar like in the 70s with a reel-to-reel machine :lol:

cheers, Tom
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I haven't used one of those for ages...
Micha

Post by Micha »

Try to get a good Preamp. The cheap solutions are not to recommend: Not enough frequencies! I recommend Lehmann Black Cube. Others by Holfi, NAD. Have a look.
Whatever your preamp does not deliver, you'll have no chance to add it later. That is why.
For cleaning noisefloor I use CoolEdit's Noise Reduction. Fast, precise and easy to use. Nothing else needed.
For declicking it's harder. Osiris is ok, Dart, WavePurity.
I prefer Osiris, it's a bit annoying to use (new project, import wave into project... - no "now open this thing here and process what I need"), but the results can be excellent.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

My current turntable has only been turning once in the past 4 years! I used to have great stuff: SME V, Morch dp6, Michell gyrodeck ... some good pick-up. Sold it all, because I only used the poweramp part of a 250€/$ NAD amplifier, and my money-flow as a student wasn't realy as needed to get that very last piece changed to apropriately fit the rest of my gear.