If I wanted to make my own SFP-devices, how do I get started

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

petal

Post by petal »

I can't seem to find any info on this. I have heard of a developers kit, but can't seem to find it. I found an email address to some guy at Creamware, who was supposed to be the man to talk with about these things. I mailed him, but didn't get any answers. So now I'm asking here.

- What do I do?
- What do I need?
- Where do I get it?
- How much will it cost me?
- Any toturials around?

Any info on this topic is welcomed!

Cheers!
Thomas :smile:
onomat

Post by onomat »

Maybe I can help...

You need to buy a Scope /DP (developement package)which includes the Scope board in one of it's variants eg: 24ADAT, Analog/digital versions etc., the Scope DP software which is used to build you effects modules which are SFP compatible by their very nature and a basic manual in PDF and written form to get you installed and on the way to publish your first device...

Scope DP can be used with any of the programs SFP can so it's possible to have audio passing through your new designs all the time for fault finding, debugging and design tweaks on the go etc.cool.

Yeah ok, the kit is expensive and still won't allow you to write your own DSP algorhythms to drive the SHARC chips on the card but the hundreds of standard modules included will keep you going for a long time without a doubt. Remember that most of the developers designing effects for Scope/SFP/Pulsar etc. are only using the standard supplied Scope DP modules which are just like electronic components in their range of functions.

The Scope card is also obviously far more flexible than anything else on the market as anything you need effects wise in the future you can simply build with no cost to you and it's in/out and expansion options mean you are really buying into a powerful/fexible setup which grows.

As far as the Scope DP software goes, it's sort of like Photoshop for audio in terms of creativity although the amount of hours you will spend learning the fundamentals and do's/don'ts and will amaze you and you will most likely find it daunting at first .

The Scope Dp version coming (??) will apparently have DSP code writing built in so you can design your own compression, reverb etc. algorhythms and implement them into your designs.
Oh, by the way, you don't need and programming experience but a basic understanding of electronic circuits/operations i think is compulsory if you want to make anything.
hope it helps.

cheers
sayton
De-Vice'
http://www.deviceplug-ins.com

email:
ir@creamware.de or sb@creamware.de or support@creamware.com
petal

Post by petal »

Thanks for the information. If I understand you correctly, you'll need a good amout of money to even get started if you only have an Electra-card like I do. And I don't have that kind of money - Damn!

Ah well, now I know what it takes - Thanks!
Thomas :smile:
mr swim

Post by mr swim »

So what's the substantive difference between the Mod3 package and the developers package. Can you not make pretty much all the effects units you want with Mod3 ?

I know I'm missing something, just don't know what it is . . .
Robert

Post by Robert »

There seems to some clue in the replies to the Dark Star post in the Devices forum.

John Bowen gives the impression that all the devices available to the developers are in the Modular, while someone mentions a multiwave osc that isn't. (is that included in the V 3?).

Also, if the Mod 3 has more of the devices that were only available to the developers, that might explain why John Bowen is looking for ways of expanding his syths into VST and DXi territory.

Robert
kensuguro

Post by kensuguro »

well.. all the available atoms are probably in most devices.. including the mod III.. but I don't think that's very important. What is important, though, is that all devices available to the consumer has the atoms bunched up in a certain way.. even modIII (within each of the modules) so obviously, this takes away the freedom a developer has for efficient dsp coding etc. I think the drawback of modII or modIII is definitely the dsp inefficiency.. Of course, it is definitely possible that all the main parts of the DP package is available in modIII... maybe that's why most developers have suddenly stopped developing? If so.. man, are we doomed. Though that only calls upon creamware to release newer, kick ass atoms that only developers have access to.
caleb

Post by caleb »

Yeah, like granular synthesis.

To tell you the truth I've never understood why Creamware isn't encouraging more 3rd party developers by pushing its DP platform more.

I don't mean necessarily reducing the price, but constantly developing the DP platform - although from a previous post in this thread it looks like they may be doing that.

At one stage I was quite interested in developing for the platform and the complete lack of signs leading the way was the biggest turnoff I could experience. It was as if Creamware DIDN'T WANT me to become a developer for their platform. It's all so terribly German (sorry - kidding).

So now I'm learning the VST standard and teaching myself C++ to start getting into VSTi. It's free and it's friendly.

I'm not trashing the production platform by the way. I absolutely love my Pulsar II and Scope and have never regretted purchasing them for a second.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

It's obvious that CW do not want third-party developers. No company would make it this difficult to do business if they were even slightly interested.

CW acts deaf-dumb-and-blind to customers at the best of times, with development even more so. They probably don't want simply say "we don't want you" because of the negative PR and psychological connotations that there must be "trouble" with the platform.

That makes me think that CW figure the money is in extra devices, synths and effects, and don't want to share the cut.

Their standard new device price seems to be around E200, so that's worth having. And I think it's interesting that CW's new plucked string emulation will be coming out at about the same time as the string-synth "Python". Don't quite know what to make of that . . .

The only other *extremely remote* possibility I can think of is that they want to somehow save third-party interest for their new cards . . . But that's so far off that it seems very unlikely.

Of course all this is 100% speculation, but since CW never say anything about either their business or the platform's dircetion, what else is there to go on ?

I'd be extremely pleased to be corrected by hard fact or words from a Creamware rep but we never see much of either around here :lol:
sharc

Post by sharc »

Has anyone here tried out synthedit?

http://www.synthedit.com

It's a real shame that there isn't something like this available for the CW platform. I for one would definately prefer to develop for CW, but like many users, I'm just not prepared to spend a four figure sum for the privilege.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

SynthEdit devices tend to be very CPU-hungry but there are some very good ones like Quantum-64 and Drumatic. And yes, it's a huge shame that it can't (reasonably) be done on this platform.

I suppose Modd-II/III covers just about everything but it's not the same as having a hard-wired custom-GUI device.
sharc

Post by sharc »

How about a 3rd party device which allows you to add a GUI to Mod II/III devices. Is this possible? if so, would you need Mod II/III to run the resulting devices?
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I believe it's possible to drop a Mod device into the usual development environment, but to do it you'd obviously need the full kit anyway, which makes the scheme hardly worthwhile.

A very limited form of skinning is available with Mod-III but you're restricted to a grid pattern of 16 knobs (almost useless) and a single background bitmap.

It's a start I suppose.
caleb

Post by caleb »

Perhaps they're just get us ready for the Modular IV. Hehehehe

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: caleb on 2003-01-13 05:46 ]</font>