How much do they charge in your town for mastering a song?

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nestor

How much do they charge in your town for mastering a song?

Post by Nestor »

Perhaps, an interesting topic to discuss for us.

In Argentina you would master a song, presented as a ready mix, for about 40 USD each, in a professional grade studio. So a CD with, let say, with 12 tracks, will cost you around 480 USD.

As a contrast, I know some professional grade studios in Europe and the States will charge you about 500 to 1000 USD per song.

There is, because of the internet and platforms like Dropbox and many, many others of the like, a growing market of people mastering your songs from all over the world for very little money. Prices are going down because of this omvtrsvomh competence born from the "no distance" factor. Of course, many, if not most of these guys offering mastering services through their pages are not really good at mastering, if you pay attention to their final outputs.

Definetely, to go through a specialized school of music does not guarantee you know what you are doing, there is a need for this "something" which cannot be learned.

So, how much do they charge in your area for mastering a song?

Cheers
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
braincell

Re: How much do they charge in your town for mastering a son

Post by braincell »

Price is going down because they use software which is less expensive. It's not as good. You get what you pay for.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

True. But how much is it per track? Do you have a reference?
braincell

Post by braincell »

It varies so widely honestly.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Here in Nashville there are so many facilities for Post and Pre prodoction you get a composition for free.
I actually have do to hours of arranging and performing for people just to get a chance at getting a good touring gig.
Then even if you score there's management reminding you 500 other people will do things cheaper.

If you want a guy with connections who might put in a good word for you its about 1k a day.
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

i have payed between 15-70 euro per song. more expensive doesn't mean better. find someone who understands your music and what it should sound like.
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I am not really searching for someone to do it for me. I do my own masterings, well sure..., the best I can, but I like to do it myself, it si so much fun and so much responsibility too, so I love it!

What I made this topic for is to see how much around the world studios are charging per song, because I find it very revealing in many ways to know about it. It is relevant information for us as musicians and as studio owners too, even if your studio is very small, like mine… I don't record people, but I master eventually their outputs.

The point is to understand by the facts, what is happening, like for instance, watch:
http://monarchmastering.com/
http://mercurymastering.com/
http://masteryoursong.com/
dawman

Post by dawman »

In all honesty I believe it's the "connections" and "a word on your behalf" that moves things along around here.
Hire the right Engineer and Producer, you get a shot after so many large$ have been spent.
J.McBride (Martina's husband) has got serious juice.

We're connecting right now @ Soundstage and Meyers for pre production
Radio interviews, and opening for some up and coming types.
It's all in the game.
DSC_0046.jpg
DSC_0046.jpg (58.35 KiB) Viewed 2479 times
DSC_0042.jpg
DSC_0042.jpg (148 KiB) Viewed 2479 times
DSC_0037.jpg
DSC_0037.jpg (113.71 KiB) Viewed 2479 times
quantum

Post by quantum »

I think the most important thing in mastering is a great mix. Then comes the tools and room, ability to translate mixes to outside environment, and experience. The better all these things are, the higher the price. For starters it's really about getting the track to sound as best as possible regardless of affordability of artist. There's no other way besides luck. Anything over $200 for a single track is marketing cost.

The trick is also knowing when you have a great mix. Then, there's no reason to throw money away at world class mastering because with anything above $100 a track, you really get the same audio quality in a different package. Bob in my hometown charges $225, but has the best gear out there, at least the best cables and soundcard.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Interesting explanation

Now, you mean Bob Clearmountain?
quantum

Post by quantum »

Nestor wrote:Interesting explanation

Now, you mean Bob Clearmountain?
I don't doubt Bob Clearmountain is great as well. But I was reffering to Bob Ludwig.
hubird

Post by hubird »

If you don't have a heavy monitor system mounted in stone and fed by a very fat quality amp in a very well treated room you can't ask more than a few tenths of bucks.