ASIO spikes

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ThomasT

ASIO spikes

Post by ThomasT »

Hi,

Im using Scope 5, Cubase 6 and Windows 7.
I get some quasi peridodical ASIO overload spikes with a hearable "click" sometimes. All I know that they appear more often with shorter Ulli-Latency and more ASIO-Channels.
(using ASIO32 driver).

Is this a known problem? Or do you need more infos about the system?

Regards Thomas
guppy

Re: ASIO spikes

Post by guppy »

Some weeks ago, I've solved a problem with asio errors and clics with win7 on a laptop by updating the system with windows update...
You can use DPC Latency Checker, and try to disable every port and device you can on your computer, one by one, look at your scope irq that need to be isolated, and see if DPC reacts well.
http://www.heise.de/download/dpc-latenc ... 52865.html
garyb

Post by garyb »

have you done the setup suggestions in tips and tricks?

have you checked for shared irqs?

normally, if it's all setup properly, you won't see dropouts.
ThomasT

Post by ThomasT »

Thanks fpr metioning DPC Latency Checker nice tool.

Something strange happend.

- I started the Computer, copied the DPC Latency Checker in local directory and started it: all green
- I started Scope - all green
- I stated Cubase, loaded the recording Project - still green
- I checked I/Os for recording, made a test record - still green
- waited for the guitarist to come
- wanted to start recoring and level checks - clicks - started DPC Latency Checke -> all red!!!!
taskmanager shows low memory and idle cpus ...
- did the soundcheck with clicks while checking task manager and DPC Latency Checke -> still red
- note the cubase can handle whe the red is half of DPC Latency Checkers scale high (dont know the value)
- restarted computer and checker -> green
- opened scope again -> red!
- started cubase -> still red
- play and record in cubase -> keeps red!
- a little break
- started recording hoping that click will appear unhearble or only for play back -> all green!
- it stays green the whole evening from say 10pm to 3am. No ASIO clicks! sometime one yellow spike in DPC Latency Checkers (i keeped it open)

-> conclusion, it must be something that appears about from 10min to 30min after computer start.

WTF happens here?
Any Ideas to shorten trial an error
garyb

Post by garyb »

what's running in the backround?

since you haven't acknowledged, i'll ask again. have you done ALL of the setup tweaks in the tips and tricks post? what is sharing an irq with the card(s)?
ThomasT

Post by ThomasT »

H,

there runs nothing special in the background. Only Matrox-Driver-Software, Avira and Cubase Protection.
All of them are running the whole time. But the problem appeares only after 10min and ca. 30min.
I didn't figured out what service runs there. Must be service, no process ends or starts during chaning. Neighter the CPU and memory usage changes aacording to the task manager.

IRQs

Pulsar2 16
Scope 17
Matrox 16

All other - even USB - are different.
As you can see the Matrox Graphic Card and Pulsar 2 changes their IRQ.
But this cannot be a problem at itself, because it works most of the time. After the first hour, when the latency problem disapears there is no problem the whole time.
guppy

Post by guppy »

I had some clics and noises with my 2Pulsar2+1Scope setup, when I had the Scope card which shared its irq with the ATI graphic card.
As the card loads all my IO, and as all pci slots were full, I managed to avoid the noises by switching the Scope card with one of the Pulsar2 (the xtc one, without IO).
Since this day, this kind of noise has disappeared.
But the most important thing is too see if you disabled all the things like HT, VTech, etc, as Gary said.
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31345
garyb

Post by garyb »

a shared irq with a video card CAN be the cause of this kind of problem.

a Scope card is a REALTIME device. it cannot wait for it's chance to speak to the cpu when it's turn comes up.