Rack Mount DAW - Advice and Scoperise article.

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Rack Mount DAW - Advice and Scoperise article.

Post by dante »

For Scoperise and my own update path, Im thinking about 3 options :

1) Fill existing empty 4U case with my next 64 bit DAW, XITE-1 Express connection and 3 x PCI cards.
2) Find a 1U case to save space and use 'riser' cards.
3) Find a 1U case but keep current 4U system as seperate for the PCI cards.

I really like the idea of a 1U DAW but am unsure about the stability factor of using riser cards (allowing the Scope PCI card(s) to sit at 90 degrees). And indeed if riser cards were feasable whether I'd be able to use 3 of them.

Silence is another factor of course.

Any advice on this or any other tips re rack mount daws appreciated (and will be compiled into ScopeRise article regarding this topic).
Neutron

Re: Rack Mount DAW - Advice and Scoperise article.

Post by Neutron »

if you use riser cards you probably couldn't use more than 1 before it was too high for a 1u case.
they are only 1.75 inches and think what you have below the riser card. the standoff for the motherboard, the motherboard, and the PCI slot. thats about an inch right there. and the distance between PCI cards is 0.8 inches. so i wouldn't even bother with that option.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

oops somehow i posted 2 times.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, just because of heat i might go 2u if you are going to use a riser, 3u if not. i've used a 3u with pci cards and it seems pretty good, but it's a tight fit.

if you don't need many drives and you're just using an XITE, a 1u should be fine, though. just know that space will be at a minimum. obviously, you'd need onboard graphics.
dante

Post by dante »

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like the max I would get into a 1U is the PulsarII and forget the 2 x Lunas, and even then heat would be prob. Maybe 2U is worth looking at.
garyb

Post by garyb »

i've been using a cheap 3u from ebay that is perfect for three cards if they're not bigger than 6dsps. it's cheap, well made, but not heavy and you can shoehorn several drives even with three cards and the compact size. it's well ventilated and a lot easier than trying to get all that stuff into a 2u. i'm sure that something similar or maybe even better would be available where you are. you're a little closer to china... :D
here's a link to the one i've bought the last few times:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3U-Short-3CD-5H ... 5adcbbaeeb
dante

Post by dante »

That looks good. Especially if the 14" is depth meaning its depth is less than its width (19").

My current one is deeper than what it is wider and protrudes by a good length out the back of the rack ! Something I didnt pick up at purchase time :x