Windows Xp SP3 freezes on new Mobo scope 4.5

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

mindscan

Re: Windows Xp SP3 freezes on new Mobo scope 4.5

Post by mindscan »

Freeze again after 10 minutes.

Will start disabling some stuff , USB + onboard audio...

screenshot in txt file, just rename first to RTF because upload didn't accept RTF..
Attachments
screenshot.txt
Please rename extention TXT to RTF
(3.94 MiB) Downloaded 257 times
garyb

Post by garyb »

you're not using sata as ide?

the irqs in the original slot don't look too bad. it looks like you have raid enabled. you don't need that for sure.

disabling usb won't help.

what about active sensing?
mindscan

Post by mindscan »

In BIOS I see SATA for the controllers so not working on IDE.
What I did (and did also in the past) , I made a bootable Windows XP with the SATA drivers loaded, so during install it could perfectly install on SATA drives.
I think the IRQ's are not that bad either in my opinion. I disabled a number of USB host (but I also think it's not because my USB mouse and pc freeze it's automatically related to USB because the systems just halts). I disabled all onboard audio.
I was away for 3 hours, came back and frozen screen..
I'm not running in raid, the driver is there because it's on the motherboard and during driver upgrades for the motherboard I installed it. For testing I did disable the driver though.

Well, i'm running out of options here. I was thinking because it's a freeze, maybe the harddrive just stopped action. The OS is on a solid state drive and windows 7 is on another solid state drive. On the other hand I testetd the XP a few days ago for around 18 hours without scope card and no freeze...

I am thinking of trying one last thing, erase the solid state and install a windows 7 32 bit. All official software. I read somehwere that you can use the 4.5 drivers on a windows 7 32bit, but not sure if correct. If so, please let me know.

One last remark. The card was in my old system since 2005. Handling PCI cards there is always a degree of risk with antistatic dammage, although I always make sure I ground myself first, you never know, maye the card took a small hardware error during manipulations.

I think my next step will be, card removal again. Continue for a week on the XP with the backup m-audio (luckily I have no audio projects for the moment, so just fine for midi in/out), If XP runs stable for a week than I will put back the scope card in my old pc. That is still a complete system with all sofwtare still on the drive (XP SP2), I will run it for the audiostuff I'm doing and IF I have a freeze then we can be sure the card got dammaged. At this point this thread may be closed sine I or we can go on forever. I will try these last things and I will see the outcome in a couple of weeks.. Unfortunatley no 100% answer right now but hey thank you for putting your times as well in this. My suggestion to other people at this point would be watch out with the mobo you are planning to buy for new scope pc !

I don't break down scope because I was always happy and will be happy to keep on using it in my old pc, but I feel I just have bad luck on installing it on a brand new motherboard with no real straightforward PCI bus ..

Thanks again for all the hints and tricks, I did learn from it and I'm happy this forum is still alive and kicking so keep up the good work !

Cheers
garyb

Post by garyb »

you don't need that driver disk, that's actually incorrect to install that way. sata should be configured as ide for most applications. the fact that the driver is needed indicates an improper setting, but this isn't your problem, at least not entirely.

with Scope is is NEVER just a driver. the driver and program work together. v4.5 will NOT work in win7, so even if the driver does, it's no help.
helldriver

Post by helldriver »

Hi I had the same issue. Change the driver to Scope Version 3.1b. Give it a try!

If you need the driver write me. I will supply you.

Greetz helldriver
mindscan

Post by mindscan »

Garyb: Recap : My first idea was, yes driver issue, but than again it worked perfectly on my other pc with windows XP SP2. So then I thought maybe because the new pc runs on XP but with SP3, but than again the driver seems to load fine, I can open Scope and I can select the scope Asio driver in Cubase. So since I started this thread I started to be convinced it could be a hardware issue (IRQ, MOBO resources interfering with card, PCI bus...). Today I am simply clueless. You have a point about sata (but like you said don't think so related to the issue). It is true and it was not on my mind but if you put sata in the Bios to IDE you don't need the satadriver on the xp cd. On the other hand I have enough positive experiences installing XP on different systems (pc, laptops) through a bootable cd with the correct sata driver installed. I really appreciate you look to all possibilities, some of which I wouldn't have thought about :-)

Helldriver: don't wanna argue with Garyb about driver issues, like I stated on my old mobo with single core CPU AMD 3.4Ghz, the scope 4.5 with its driver worked perfectly on XP SP2, on the other hand Garyb I did move to a new mobo and SP3, who knows maybe somewhere there is a conflict with these new itesm kicking in?.. Maybe I still have a scope 4.0 driver because I initially upgraded from 4.0 to 4.5, but I would need to have a look in my archive files. If there exists an XP 3.1 driver I would be more than happy just to try it out, nothing to loose with it.
I am working in my windows 7 session now where currently the scope driver is not installed and no freezes at all, smooth like hell :-)

If you don't look up at the time putting in sending me a 3.1 driver, than I would me more than thankfull :-) I don't know how big it is if you put it in a rar. But I use many times a good and completely free upload service wetransfer.com , you can upload to 2GB files and it gives you a link from where I can download. It stays active 2 weeks, so no real harm , to keep the link private feel free to send to my hotmail account : koedoo@hotmail.com

And guys, I never thougt I would get so much help through this forum, but really if I have to put back the card in my old system it is not that big problem for me since that CPU gave me still enough performance to do like 40-45 simultaneous audiotracks. But scope is not the performance issue on that pc, more the mobo CPU once I start applying too many effects. But ok I can really live with it so I can move on. Maybe I will also give it a shot to move to 5.1, take the gamble and move production completely to win 7 64bit, who knows maybe it will solve my freeze problem doing so..
Garyb I will close the running support question to Sonic as case closed. You did the best you could to help me and far beyond my own ideas, and I feel you were already putting alot of time in my problem, so once again thank you! I will still try out some things in between and it's not a total loss since I have a backup pc where I am sure Scope ihas no conflicts. At least I can move on with my music and in calmer periods I will look at the possibilities of scope 5.1 and. Also thx to Helldriver and Bear for help and usefull tips :-) :-) :-)
Cheers :-)
garyb

Post by garyb »

v4.5 and xp sp3 have no problems. i've used them together many times. i've set up and built more systems than you can imagine.

that said, there's nothing wrong with trying the v3.1b driver. if it works, you're happy. as i told you before, i wouldn't expect a lot out of a socket 1155(sandybridge) motherboard. they are trash for pci card use, great for everything else.

it's too bad that you're having problems. i hate to see that. it's good to know that you have a use for the cards in any case.

an XITE-1D would work great with that motherboard... :D

:lol:
thanks for the kind words...i feel like i should've done better with that nice post....
mindscan

Post by mindscan »

Garyb,

I don't have any doubt in your experience. I was an IT service technician for 10 years and still working in IT on another level but where I also have to deal with support questions. So I know the feeling you might have because I have it as well when you feel maybe the answer was close but not just close enough... I also sensed it through your writing that it was on your mind and I felt there is a point where we tried everything without going to far carried away. I also know for myself where to draw the line. I had three day of frustration, but once you turn the switch in your head you accept it and move on. Had a disk crash once where I lost 1 month of production work because I didn't do my backups more regular. Working in IT I felt like a morron, tried all possible recovery software and gave up after a week and accepted my loss..

BUT, the scope issue is NOT a total loss, since I will keep on using it in my other PC. And supose it freezes there I will let you know because than the card is bad throughout manipulations..

So my nice words are from the heart. It can suck that maybe you feel I couldn't solve the issue together with your help and others, but believe it or not I take more value to people who actually do a great effort to help somebody or try to..

I don't doubt the quality of the scope platform and I've been around with it for almost 13 years, so yes, maybe also time to look at the new product line.

By the way, I got that 3.1 driver and it could install over the newer one. I'm writing this on my XP system, after 30 minutes still ok, scope open.
But ok, I learned not to get carried away, fingers crossed,I will keep the pc running for another 18 hours or so, the freeze shoudl definetely occur within that timeframe. I let you know.

If still freeze, let's blame the socket (well, let's be fair maybe I just have bad luck with it). And I also wanna tell you, I work with IT servers, the old servers from the eightees, ninetees could run for many many years, new servers , 3-5 years max and outdated or simply no more support "end of life" , I never worked with a music platfrom of which I could say, hey I'm using this one for almost 10 years without giving me 1 single point of failure and that can still run on modern music software!!?? So my respect for you guys !

And keep up this level of support and even if sometimes it doesn't work out 100%, no shame about that and no bad feelings either :-)

Cheers !
mindscan

Post by mindscan »

Still up and running with no freeze over a 6 hours night power on with scope open, no lock on screensaver either which I enabled as extra test..

I will get back to this pc in 10 hours, if then still running it might seem their could be a light at the end of the tunnel...

Cheers
garyb

Post by garyb »

i think you've got it going.

well, with your hardware, that must be the better driver. i'll try to remember this for other v4 xp users with sandy bridge based computers. thanks for the reminder helldriver!
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

hmmm i wish it worked with v5.0 as well... might solve my issues:)
-ok no more off topic from me!
mindscan

Post by mindscan »

YESSSSSS !!!!

After 3-4 days of trial and error I can finally say that my problem is FIXED :-) pc was running for almost 18 hours without any freeze so I'm at a point where it's safe to say now that I can continue with all my VST installations :-)

So in breef here was the problem + solution:

Installed LUNA II with Scope 4.5 in windows XP SP3. After installation of scope random freeze of complete pc, sometimes after 5 minutes but maximum within 2-3 hours. Only solution at that point reset pc. Impossible to work on a project that way.

Solution : seems combination of my new mobo Asus P8Z68-V together with scope 4.5 driver was not the best match. Downgraded the driver to the one found in version scope 3.1B, so downgrade of the driver but downgrade of the scope suite was not needed, that still runs on 4.5 !

My gratitude goes to

Garyb, Bear : on usefull tips/hints/tuning and thinking along and last but not least not giving up on me where I was already at a point on giving up myself !
helldriver : for final tip and providing me with a downgrade driver.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart, best support work I ever encountered :-):-):-)

Maybe usefull for future owners on 4.5 who are thinking on upgrade mobo as well (CPU I7-2xxx socket series , I have an 2600K).
I didn't find the 3.1 driver on sonic site, maybe usefull to provide it there as well with a small note ?! Just an idea..

Anyway, this thread can be really closed now and I will continue to work on the scope platform (I just saw I'm registerd here since 2001 so I am loyal ;- )) and I can also think about 5.1 as well now :-)

Keep up the good support work guys, you can really make somebody happy, if one of you is ever in Belgium you certainly deserve a good beer :-)

Cheeeeerrrrsssssssss
Kenf2

Post by Kenf2 »

Hi Mindscan,
you have my sympathy. I have just upgrade to Cubase 6 and Reason 6 and had loads of problems... for about a week...

What software do you have running when your system freezes? What input and outputs are you using in your scope project? I wonder if your Luna card is damaged?

Regards

Kenf
mindscan

Post by mindscan »

Hi Kenf2,

First of all, all problems are solved by now. I wasn't even running anything besides the scope when my system froze, didn't even open a project, just the standard one. By now I am 100% sure it was just a driver problem. Combination with a new motherboard and CPU (Quad core 2600K)

It were indeed 4 days of troubleshooting which is never a pleasure. The thing is I started from a clean install so I pretty fast realised the problems started after the scope install. At least at that point I was sure not to look for other possible causes, just had to find out why Scope was causing trouble.

To make it short : I use Scope 4.5 with a Luna II card (scope home version), so also loaded the driver that comes wit 4.5. A helpfull forummember advised me in the end to try with an older driver version, in this case the one from Scope 3.1b and guess what, problem solved. The driver runs under teh 4.5 software so you don't have to downgrade that one, only the driver.

Conclusion: first try the obvious things, strip your system til the minimum, start from a clean windows installation ( I run on Xp SP3) , before starting scope install make sure yous OS is running without any problems, then start scope install and test it out for some time, if no problems continue with the installation of your music software, that's how I did..

Good luck,

Grz,
Kenf2

Post by Kenf2 »

:) Good News!
dante

Post by dante »

Very good. Added to this months trouble shooting guide - http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_11/tsg_mast.htm - under the 'Fatal Error' section.
suvak

Post by suvak »

Hello, I had the same issue nowdays. And only this solution helped. I didn't have the 3.1b drivers but the 3.1a works perfectly too. I tried all other mobo hack, pulsar driver settings, irq conflict detecting but just this 3.1 driver install helped. Thanks for the solution, i sucked nearly a week to solve this problem. Another detail: I got this freezing just when sending midi data out to a creamware windows midi driver. And the freezing occured randomly from 1min to 60 mins.

My setup:
-Intel DH55HC Mobo
-Intel core i7 870 2.93Ghz
-8GB RAm (Under XP it shows just 2.93GB...)
-Windows XP SP3

Thak you for this solution.

Zajos
garyb

Post by garyb »

the problem is that your controller is mucking things up with active sensing. use a midi filter.