pci overflow [resolved]

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

babaorum

pci overflow [resolved]

Post by babaorum »

Hello,

I made a new project with more ASIO_sources (just add 4 stereo bus !)

It's a little base project, now there isn't effects, just ASIO and mixers and I have a PCI overflow ! DSP load is at half !

When I decrease to 12 bus instead of 15 it's working well without pci overflow ...

Could I tweak my DAW to have more flexibility , I have 9 DSP (luna+ pulsar) ?
windows 7 64, cubase 5.5.3

Here my project :

The message appears when start Cubase (before open a cubase project) :
Last edited by babaorum on Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sonic Core Luna II + Pulsar II scope v5.1.2709-x64, Cubase 9.0.20 (64), Pro Tools 12.7, Wavelab element 9 (64), windows 8.1 pro (64), Asus P6T 18Go RAM core i7 920, SSL Duende Native - Lexicon PCM Reverb Bundle - Waves - Sonnox
garyb

Re: pci overflow

Post by garyb »

pci overflow is the pci bus on your motherboard overloading. this may be because of a setup issue, or it could be the limits of your hardware, it's hard to say because i don't know anything about your system. i would think you system would do much better than that though.

what motherboard are you using? what other pci cards are you using? what, if anything is sharing an irq with the Scope card? how many masterverbs can you put into an empty project before pci overflow? are you using raid?

pci overflow is not related to dsp load. your system seems to have poor pci performance. that's why when you add a few more asio tracks, you get the error. the asio pathway is via the pci bus to the sequencer(cpu). you should be able to use many more channels than that , though. my guess is that you have a very new pc....
babaorum

Post by babaorum »

I have a recent PC ASUS P6T Deluxe, core i7 920, 6Go RAM

I think it's my big graphic card ... yes my sons use the PC for games ... (Radeon HD 4870 1024 DDR5 double slot ) and I must leave the sound card of the motherboard for the games because the wav drivers of the scope cards make crash on certain games ...

Ok I must waiting for to have a PC only for audio ... it's annoying but I can't use less ASIO bus without many inconveniences so I can live :roll:
Sonic Core Luna II + Pulsar II scope v5.1.2709-x64, Cubase 9.0.20 (64), Pro Tools 12.7, Wavelab element 9 (64), windows 8.1 pro (64), Asus P6T 18Go RAM core i7 920, SSL Duende Native - Lexicon PCM Reverb Bundle - Waves - Sonnox
garyb

Post by garyb »

have you disabled thse items(the ones available) in your bios?

Intel EIST
Intel C State
C1E Support
Overspeed Protection
Hyperthreading
Execute Bit Support
Set Limit CPUID MaxVal to 3 (maybe not so important)
Intel Virtual Tech
Intel VT-d Tech
babaorum

Post by babaorum »

No. No tweak in my DAW, I'll try some of these , I prefer keeping the hyperthreading but the others I'll try. Yes that can be improve !
Thanks
garyb

Post by garyb »

:lol:

what do you think hyperthreading is doing?
keep it if you like, but it does NOTHING for your realtime audio. how can a virtual core do a calculation without using a real core?

hyperthreading can give better benchmarks, but it doesn't necessarily do anything for the actual apps you are using. of course, your milage may vary, as they say in automobile television commercials here. it depends on how you use the machine whether this matters at all.

you know, i got a used core2 duo machine for $100 with 4 gb of memory from ebay. that machine had an nvidia quadro video card too!(the video card is a 4 head unit worth more than the computer) it was an office machine that had been decommissioned. it would work better than the computer you're currently using. you don't have to spend a tremendous amount of money to get your kid out of your music computer.

btw-i doubt if the video card is a problem. check the irqs and if the Scope card is sharing an irq with something, tell me what...
maky325

Post by maky325 »

garyb wrote::lol:

what do you think hyperthreading is doing?
keep it if you like, but it does NOTHING for your realtime audio. how can a virtual core do a calculation without using a real core?

hyperthreading can give better benchmarks, but it doesn't necessarily do anything for the actual apps you are using. of course, your milage may vary, as they say in automobile television commercials here. it depends on how you use the machine whether this matters at all.

you know, i got a used core2 duo machine for $100 with 4 gb of memory from ebay. that machine had an nvidia quadro video card too!(the video card is a 4 head unit worth more than the computer) it was an office machine that had been decommissioned. it would work better than the computer you're currently using. you don't have to spend a tremendous amount of money to get your kid out of your music computer.

btw-i doubt if the video card is a problem. check the irqs and if the Scope card is sharing an irq with something, tell me what...
Gary is right. Hyperthreading is ok for applications that are using it (Adobe, Autodesk, Maya etc.) but for real time audio they are often causing problems(browse more audio forums and you'll see). Turn it off. They are "virtual" cores anyway. They are not real.
babaorum

Post by babaorum »

ok but for the games ?
garyb

Post by garyb »

bad for audio, good for games. i guess it depends on what's important.

it's like an automobile that is also an airplane. if the auto is a really good plane, it's probably terrible as a road vehicle and likewise....

it's like this:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/61320/saturda ... -floor-wax
dawman

Post by dawman »

Hyperthreading never even gets optimized for DAW's, although they say it's useful, they only provide the option to appear as if they wish to please the cackling Hens. In many cases Hypertrheading turned on gives worse results.

Turbo Charging is actually the end result of hyperthreading experiments, and it is useful if you want to run your apps in Standalone, and have an external hardware sequencer as your MIDI automations..

Green energy nonsense is useless in real life and useless in DAW's.
Buy a Chevy Volt and feel like the Planet will last longer as you drive it, not realizing the electricity you're using to charge it came from burning coal.........

THe elites will love you though as they are heavily vested in the green business, its big money...
babaorum

Post by babaorum »

:lol:

Here my IRQs in share :

garyb

Post by garyb »

disable the usb controller on irq 16 in the device manager.
babaorum

Post by babaorum »

ok I'll try tomorow. Thanks.
babaorum

Post by babaorum »

THANKS A LOT !

It's a good advice, it works with 15 ASIO Sources now ! I disabled the USB with same IRQ of my card.

:) :) :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)
babaorum

Re: pci overflow [resolved]

Post by babaorum »

And more, now I can disabled the mother board audio card that I kept only for games. I have only scope now and all is right, all runs it's amazing ! yeaaahhh :) :wink:
garyb

Re: pci overflow [resolved]

Post by garyb »

:)