synthmaker

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ChrisWerner

Re: synthmaker

Post by ChrisWerner »

Hi Martin,
just to give you / us a push on Synthmaker.
It runs on Samplitude 11, Nuendo 4 and Live 8, on Win7 x64.
I am on Synthmaker too but still get comfortable with it before I dare my first throw.

cheers
dawman

Post by dawman »

I like the old DSP better, but this works fine, even w/o the inserts.
Bridged plug ins show up in the taskbar ( thanks 2 Reapers auto bridger ),
and the GUI can be summoned above everything for editing, and I can
even have its own floating window.

Just wanted to let you know it works well in x64 Reaper 4.3 Alpha.

Thanks for even taking the time to share this.
Untitled.jpg
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

vaz modular 3 is even faster than scope modular and has an ever growing modulesbut as of yet no external sdk for others to program there own modules

but madgav who makes the program has a furom on kvr and listens to peoples wants and creates new modules all the time and he copies hardware equivelents

the best module he has got that scope lacks is a wavetable module which can take user wavetables which i make wave tables for aswell as the asr10/eps/ts10/12 samplers

ive got extensive samples for emulation like the ensoniq vfx which has 8 oscilators to choose from max 3 noote poly at max 8 osc but i create mono type patches when using 8 layers which give massive fat sounds and being able to choose any sample for any of the 8 osc

and you can choose any 1 of the 19 available transwaves

and also a allwaves file which plays all wave samples in memory looping in any size loop that you choose based on how many wavesamples you choose and you can do reverse or forward and reverse loops

very expressive digital synth

same as the esq1 but this has only got 3 osc per instrument

ive been using scope now since 1999 and in all that time the allusive wavetable osc with user wavetables has alluded us

and i found out to my dismay that there is no external c/c++ code compiler for the sdk platform making it impossible to port code across from othe dsp systems shame

synth edit sdk allows c/c++ code dsp to be implimented even tho the sound is ok but the filters are lame and not many
examples but there is a user wavetable oscilator

we know it can be done as waldorf did it but no one else seems to be able to manage itin a system thats been running12+ years

looks like my wavetable experiments are going to have to stay with synth edit and vaz3 modular

its even been done on an avr 8 bit synth using python and c++ code to create the wavetable with interpolation from a file convert program from my 128 single cycles transwave which converts it into 16 wave samples with 128 samples each with a 1 sample added to the each of the single cycle samples for the interpolation algorythum

its called the shruthi and its a 170 euro,s synth kit that you build your self and has the ability to have user wavetables

im hoping sc will let the sdk be c code compliant with external input

as the dsp studio for the sharc project board is which allows c /c++ dsp code to be implimented
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, the lack of interest in an alternate wavetable oscillator isn't Sonic Core's fault ... ;)
Imho there CANNOT be a problem to implement it with SDK if granular modules (as in Flexor) are possible.

C++ is just a programming language...
if you have an algorithm, let's assume for that osc..., any language will do (as long as it got access to the hardware)
Recompiling obscure source without exactly knowing what's going on is a fairly crappy approach.
May work ... at least (as I remember) my code for a video digitizer (back in the 80s) did after some time, tho I had not a glimpse of an idea what that register stuff was about... trial and error... :lol:

I consider myself a fairly experienced developer (not the best coder, see above), and I can assure you (even if that reads kind of arrogant), that there wasn't a single question about SDK on this board, that I couldn't (literally) laugh about. Peanuts really...
There's a certain terminolgy you have to get used to and some quirks any system will have somewhere and that's about it.

But looking at sourcecode on the Analog Devices site is a different story... for me: mighty frightening.

There IS a certain kind of demand in abstraction and a specific way of thinking, that needs talent.
Such stuff should NOT be available for the general public - that is bull-sh*tting.
It serves noone. The platform doesn't benefit either.
We live in times of malware construction kits today, opposed to kiddies fooling their game computer's (aka C64) disk OS with plain assembly code.
The whining doesn't help - just face it :D

I've written (almost) the same a couple of years ago and the sheer lack of output from SDK users is a sad proof.
if SDK makes you chew heavily on stuff, don't even think about messing with memory and registers...
not in assembly, not in ansi C or C++. Do your homework first instead.

cheers, Tom
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

i agree with you if you think you can use the c code that is available to do loop modulation as like the asr10 sampler synth and vaz3 and synth edit wavetable oscillator then i can give you over 3000 user wavetables

i would love to see this oscillator available to scope users

and if you can port the c code then by all means i will give you it as seeing that i have never used scope sdk

and was going to when i was told by a member on this site that codes with the sdk that it was impossible to impliment

so i decided there was no point in getting the sdk if this was not possible
astroman

Post by astroman »

it IS infact impossible to implement a device under SDK by converting existing C code.
But that does NOT mean that (portions of) C code cannot be intergrated.

There may be some limitations in the 'free' version of the previous SDK, either by blocking stuff intentionally or by lack of documentation. But if C code is written and compiled according to the (for simplicity let's call it 'runtime') environment, it was always a valid option.
Btw an option that was $$$ charged for in the early days of Scope, the equivalent of at least a high 4-figure Euro amount...
on top of Scope DP which was in a similiar price range back then.
A lot of people seem to completely misunderstand the power of this environment because it doesn't feature the monolithic low-level language compile and build scheme.
It HAS a set of building blocks in a quality that no beginner could rebuild even in a lifetime.
You'd have to compete with some of Analog Devices best engineers if you feel challenged to mess with it on that level... ;)
So... a bit of respect for those often scorned atoms, please (Flexor was built from nothing but those blocks) :D

Of course there IS a big need for low level extension of the system - for the simple fact that a new generation of DSPs (as used in XITE) is out. But this applies to (kind of abstract) code modules, that will extend the basic Scope functionality.

Scope and SDK are exactly the same system, the graphic symbols act like a kind of meta-compiler.
Scope has a lot of modules that implement studio functionality, while SDK has more layers and additional control structures.
It is a very powerful system and enables you to implement a processing rule in much less time than coding it.

People expect such systems lack performance, but that's only true if the low level implementation is close to 'optimal'.
In a real world scenario that's rarely the case - and in particular not 'today'.
You may check comments about calculation power for resynthesis or additive synthesis... and then open a Kawai K5000.
There's probably an 8bit processor inside... :D

Back to you ASR (which would be my preferred choice for a keyboard/sampler btw):
If you KNOW how the scanning of the waveform works, there is a fair chance that it can be done in SDK.
But you need a functional understanding of the oscillator(s).
There is a somewhat similiar function in Vectron (I guess), where you can pick segments of the existing waves to build new ones.
As we're at it... I'd never port anyone's C-code for porting sake, I'd always analyze the method instead.
(which may be difficult to impossible - depending on source)
I didn't even do that with some of my own stuff, when a system got outdated - I trashed it and rewrote. ;)

cheers, Tom
ps: don't expect your project a big success or a major point of interest. Such stuff has a very limited customer base.
it's cool if you want to work something out, but both more profane and more sophisticated ideas have turned out complete economic failures in this environment. Sadly...
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

how it works on the asr10 as i am an ex ensoniq tech engineer

you set a loop of say what ever sample size you decide over the years i have tried many loop size and now use 256 samples per loop due to it being 2,s compliment which is good for computing in comps and dsp

they are audio loops perfectly zero to zero single cycle loops hopefully in phase

i have a program a small math program that i created which is a couple of apps that does resynthesis of samples

i sample a synth or instrument then i put it in 1 app and resynthesise it to become 256 sample single cycles

f3-24cents creates a perfect 256 single cycle but becuase of the cyclic nature of of samples they variate over time so 1 single cycle could be 256 and another could be 254

so to get a perfect sample of 256 i take snippets of the sample over time depending on complexity more snippets for more complex sounds and less for less complex sounds

i then take these snippets and put them into another app which loops these samples and then i can speed them up or slow them down and record the output so i can get the perfect 256 zero to zero wavesample and in phase

i then put them in a wavetable app that has 128 slots at 256 samples each

this app is a additive resynthesis app

i then place my snippets in the table in the places where i had taken the snippets from the original sample then i use a morph function between each this interpolates the slots inbetween the slices in partial spectral data over time rather than amplitudes

this is how the ppg does it and the microwavext

now the asr10 and eps16+ and the ts10/12

do transwave looping the first loop is set at 256 then the processor which is a 68000 sends an interupt to the voice chip which then jumps to the next slot 256-512-768-1024 depending on the modulation given by envelope or lfo or modwheel aftertouch

now this interupt in the sound is so fast that its very hard for the human heraring to hear and becuase the next single cycle wave is a perfect morph from the last you get a smooth transition continuous waveform sound

now this morph can be abrupt over time fast envelopes can morph the sound fast sounding seering morph bases and leads

or slow for morphing pads or looping effects using lfo

now in synth edit its a math function of the oscillator it just a it just moves the table by 256 samples loop each time

so it works of a + interger or - interger of 256 and always a loop size of 256

an lfo which modulates on +/- will move the the table depending on how much of the table is set for the amount of jumps

say we set it to 10 we no have a table of 10 single cycle waves

say we set a an lfo to modulate the the 10 cycles

a sinwave would go like 0-256-512-768-1024-1280-1536-1792-2048-2304-2560-2304-2048-1792-1536-1280-1024-768-512-256-0 fast or slow deppending on how fast the the lfo is set
an saw wave would go like this
0-256-512-768-1024-1280-1536-1792-2048-2304-2560-0-256- and so on you get the picture

and this is how it works for the hardware and the software in synth edit and vaz3 for the wave modulation only of the oscillator

obviously the oscilator has the pitch aswell on the synthedit module and the vaz3 module you can also apply sync and fm pitch modulation which the asr10 does not have

if you want some transwaves to get the idea of what they are i can send you some

and the reason why i set it at 256 samples is becuase i can on the asr10 have upto 3 octaves higher transpose playback due to the 64x oversampling of the hardware you get aliasing around the 118 on the midi table scale of the keyboard

in the vaz3 and synthedit module they have nyquist filters set so that at the higher frequencies where fold back occurs due to overtones a low pass filter is set at this frequency where it occurs and filters those frequencies out

making the transwaves i have got it down to about 40 mins from start to finish

but waht is good is that i can also make them in 1min just using any 256 single cycle wave

when i make a wave table i create new waves so potentially there are 128 waves each time a transwave is made

so i can combine any single cycle wave from any transwave and create wavetables from them

most of the time i take 5 waves ov totally different spectra and morph between then

i also do robot types like the ppg where you set totally seperate wave for different parts of the wave table and morph between 2 waves then the next wave start a totally different single cycle and morph to the next wave this way when the wavetable morphs and gets to a point where the table changes you get a glitch in sound due to the abrupt change in wave form which then morphs until the next abrupt change

so if you want a play let me know and ill send you some trans waves for you to play with

i also have thouasnds of single cycle spectra waveforms that can be used as vectron oscillators or for solaris vector oscilator

as i started out making 256 8 bit samples for my prophet vs and mirage samplers
garyb

Post by garyb »

doesn't John Bowen have wavetable synths that use modular that do all that?
he's the Prophet VS, Korg wavestation guy, isn't he?
astroman

Post by astroman »

sure he is... 8)
but afaik even John couldn't do anything about the Waldorf stuff that's hard coded into Scope.
Remember... people used to say: now that we have this virtual Microwave part in the box... we want our own wavetables, too. :D

I'm not sure (as the terminology seems a constant source of mess) to what those staements actually referred.
There's playback of samples residing in memory slots (similiar to what jhulk describes) in different ways.
Which is covered quite well in Vectron or other sample based oscillators.

In the Waldorf sense a 'wavetable' doesn't mean the storage slots, but a specific method to load digital oscillators from them via definitions in a matrix. The latter was called the 'table' iirc, but it's faint.
thanks to jhulk for that detailed description...
and if I were him... with an ASR, a VS and a Mirage... I'd simply shutup and play my guitar... eh synth :D
(that's quite some classics to have)

BUT... John Bowen is also the Man who proved overstressing the concept of 'transcoding A to B' moot.
The hardware Solaris (which after all is an overpowerly software in a box) has GREAT sounding wavetables, but those are neither Waldorf nor PPG ... they are Bowenesque... ;) :D

To cut this a bit short: imho it's a waste of effort to copy just another piece of hardware which WILL sound anything but 'original' on it's future destination.
This approach only works for a relatively simple device like (say) the Mini Moog.
There was a VSTi by Devine Machine called Krishna, featuring the Transwave-like style in it's 'Frame Oscillator' with a great user interface and lots of functionality.
I don't think it's available anymore, so that about demand...

The latter is more or less about user interface and accessibility today (imo) and that will also be the focus of developements in the Scope/XITE domain, spiced with some building blocks that take advantage of the new DSPs.
Scope HAS almost everything one might need in sound processing, but it's sometimes clumpsy to put the parts together.

cheers, Tom
(just my humble 2 cents)
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, as it got me curious I tried the 'custom wave' thing with Vectron...
it's not that intuitive for a start without reading the doc - but one gets along, the most important point 'alt-double-click' into the Wave-Extractor's bottom area to get the faint blue region.
This is immediately taken to the Wave Create display and you can play and tweak it in both screen areas, for example shift the frame through the waveform and adjust it's size... etc
The envelope allows pretty long setups, too. Anything missing ?

cheers, Tom
Attachments
Vectron.jpg
Vectron.jpg (44.55 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

i have amssive collection of samplers and synths classic

oberhiem matrix12
4 x asr10 2 keboards 2 rackmounts
2 mirages with soundprocess os giving me d50 like sounds with resonant filters using my 256 samples and transients with 16 poly due to the to keyboards in chain mode
1 eps16+
sq80 /esq1
sq1+ 32
vfx-sd same keyboard as the asr10 great synth with lovely wavetables and all wave function
fizmo wavetable synth
emulator 2/e3 and e6400ultra with a rfx32 card

the ultra range of samplers can do loop modulation but just aint as fast as the asr10 every thing in the modulation just seems to be delayed and when using fast lfo to move thru the table it misses half the table

kawaik5000 great pallete for partials

korg dss1 with 16mb upgrade fattest analog filters ever great sampler and has its own partial creator

korgdsm1x2 great synth and sampler 16 outs 1 for each filter which i have added resonance to as they were tied to ov

i use this synth to create sample partials for my 2 x t3ex synths

wladork microwavext and blofeld great synths harsh digital wavetable synthesis and great for partials i have over 3000 partials from these babies

akai s3200 x5 1x 300xl /1x s950

yam sy85/sy99/sy35 a3000 great an1x great machines the a3000 does loop modulation and can morph great but it can only be modulated by midi and not by the internal synth parts like the envelope or lfo shame if i want to do loop modulation i have to do it in a sequencer which tends not to be as fast as internal envelopes but is good for pads evolving landscapes

quasimidi quasar / 309/polymorph/cyber6 control keyboard great control keyboard 32 midi cannels 8 track sequencer with a drum grid sequencer with swing t motovators which can be either volume or filter choppers trance like and or chorders or special poly rythmic arpeg you can do wave sequencing with all 32 midichanels and the arps can chop and change in volume or control mesages

roland jd800/990/s770/s760x3/s330 great samplers and synths but no loop modulation but work on the same design as the d50 with 4 partials and can take control by x/y joystic which the sy35 is used for

prophet vs i have loads of 256 8bit wave forms for this great synth when you start to use your own partials and great at hoover sounds that only the asr10 can produce aswell i bet the solaris can aswell

tx817z great fm synth able todo 6 op du to having 7 types of osc wave shapes to choose from which would take 2 ops any way

i create nice fm wavetables from this for use in asr10 fm on sampler is great

shruthi hand made synth great monophonic synth with 3 osc and 2 osc can be wavetables my wavetables have been converted to the instruments format pure digital with real new designed resonant filters 8bit glory

and a bunch of hardware modular synth modules made by me

scope 16dsp systemwith lots of mod2 and 3 setups ill have to start posting these but you need jb,s modules and flexer 3

and pro diy hardware modules mic pres from neve ssl eqs from pultec and api

i make patches all the time for the asr10 and vaz3 and have them for sale and sold many

i would like other people to have a go at as wavetable synthesis can do sounds that no other form of synthesis can due to ever changing waveforms that are not static
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

vectron is good but much better to add single cycle waves instead just like the real pro vs which were 8 bit at the time

but with vectron they are static single cycle waves and dont change over time

but becuase of the vector joystic are able to move from 1 sound to another thru volume mixing and if you set different pitch settings can get great fat patches and in unison mode great sounding sounds

this is complex additive synthesis as you are adding 4 complex waves in a volume morpher

now if only they added the pitch vector like the sy35

i can do this in the k5000 as i can take upto 4 complex 64 additive bands and can mix them with a joystic
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

geeees! I want your job! whatever it is to afford all those toys :D (humbly bows down in the dust while typing)
astroman

Post by astroman »

:D
well, with this massive set of resources and an expertise to operate them...
why don't you drop into the SDK thing ?
Sonic Core will probably appreciate your knowledge and may provide even more details on a case 2 case base.
If you sell stuff you certainly have some realistic perspective about marketing, too ;)

while I agree to most of your statements, there are 2 points that may need additional coverage:
time and effort
it's my humble impression that people aren't really willing to invest into that.
Ok, you partially live from it (aka Presets), but stuff like Omnisphere isn't popular just for nothing ;)

and if I may add: I'm actually having quite some fun with an iPad on the Alesis dock.
Considering the amount (or rather lack) of time available to iron things out, it's an amazing toolkit...
still tip of the iceberg, but with some (serious) perspective imo.

Sure it cannot compete with sophisticated synth engines in sound quality, but then if Sunrizer's (for example) 24 dB Filter is switched down to a more moderate setting... it fits a lot of session uses.
It's transportable, playable and fairly easy to handle, a smart midi controller, too.
Stuff like Curtis or CP1919 is mostly noise atm, but draws a picture what (different) access to sound parameters can do.
If I were in need of 'strange' evolving sounds, I'd certainly just sample those instead of tweaking Vectron.

cheers, Tom
(Korg DSS1 is my personal reference for 12 bit sound... very cool, but I didn't buy one recently though dead cheap, as I was afraid of the time it might need...)
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Thats interesting details for me, as I am into developing my next and first Xite Synth.
I will use Wavetables but in a manner of Wavetable Frequency Synthesis. But that should be a part of the the whole synthesis.
The interesting thing will happen with the Wavetable pitch modulation.

I run first experiments in Mod3 and I hear a wide variety of sounds, most experimental sounds, but this is my personal favor as electronic / ambient musician.
I have to buy Mod IV and Flexor 3 and then I will continue the development and hopefully I manage it to port this with SDK to a device.

My aim is to get a good synth into the direction of the Harmonic Content Morphing Synthesis.

Thanks for the details.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

yes i might do that but need to buy an exite tho and sdk

i like sampling but when you do lots of modulation with the instrument its hard as you start to needing lots of sample memory to capture the performance

its ok when useing a software sampler as you have gb,s of hardrive streeming capability and the best software sampler is the emulatorx2 as its an emulator

but the file size of a transwave is 64k and if used like the prophet vs gives you 128 different waves to choose from from 1 sample

then if you add more transwaves

i can have 8 transwaves in 1 instrument layered this is very fat sounding when detuned and with 8 different waves being additivly added together to perform very complex waves thats if i do it like the vectron using static single cycles

so thats 898 waves to choose from you get the idea then add the ability to scan the 128 waves in all sorts of modulation mahem as each layer has its own 3 envelopes dual filters amp and lfo and 15 modulation sources to reek havok on the transwaves

asr10 was way ahead of its time and still was just out of production when the first pulsar1 cards came out talking 12 years ago and still fat sounding since 1991

only downfall is no resonant filter but i find most wavetables put thru a resonant filter end up being oscillating sin waves any way and you lose the feal of the table and i can simulate resonance in a transwave

as im one of the only producers of wavetables for the ensoniq range and am an expert in getting all sorts of types of sound from 1 wavetable from strings to piano fm claves from leads and basses and morphing pads and looping acid effects

it would be nice to have the ability of the user wavetable in scope it might be me that does it if i get the funds to get the excite and sdk5
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

nice to hear that you are making a new device how are you implimenting wavetables in frequency where are you putting you spectra data and how are you accessing it

now i thik i can may be do it with a wave shaper from flexor 3 as there is a waveshaper with 128 slots that can be modulated so that the slots can be changed by control so that the wave shape changes ill look into it as its basically the same thing just that the the wave shaper is driven by a sine osc and that sine gets waveshaped to the wave shap in the slot
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

if any 1 wants some example transawave tables then ill be happy to send some by email

and if
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

If you do get the ASR10 oscillators going, I'd try to get the FIZMO tables loaded up :) :) :)
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

For first experiments I just put a wavetable OSC to the FM input of a modulation OSC of Mod 3 and drive the WT OSC with my Keyboard through some Pitch modulation (2 LFO, one of them modulates the the other LFO rate, or X/Y adjust, or ENV) for a further work I think on sequenced pitch modulation but I am currently in getting that sorted in my head.
The spectra. Well this will be another story and I have to get mod 4 and FleXor 3 for inspirations, I need control smoother and all the other modulation tools. Also the Waveshaping is a must....

I would like to get some examples of your TransWaves, Synthics(at)mailorg.org
Thank you.

A good time for PlanetZ ahead, isn't it?