SCOPE 64 Bit beta..........?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

siriusbliss

Re: SCOPE 64 Bit beta..........?

Post by siriusbliss »

organix wrote:
auricle wrote:Interestingly, I sent an email to them just to see if they will shed any light on the release.

I got this reply today:
Hi Daniel,

we have only the internal beta with ASIO working, but
no WAVE, Sampler, VDAT and some other driver related things.

We think we can have a version ins about
one month.

Regards,
Ralf

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards
Dipl.-Ing. Ralf Dressel
A couple of things of interest here. 1) It was exactly the same reply I got from them a couple of months ago 2) It's from Ralf!! Didn't he leave??
I got the same reply 2 months ago. It seems that driver development isn't a prior task at SC. :-(
I think I'll never buy a new system from SC, I'm really dissapointed about their support. It's absolutely necessary in the professional audio market to support modern and actual hardware. Windows 64bit is available many years and it's better not to speak about Mac support.
It really hasn't been years, and many VST/plugin and other hardware manufacturers are just now announcing 64-bit compatibility (Spectrasonics, Toontrack, RME, etc.).
Even major CAD software and many hosts are not yet truly 64-bit ready.
It's relative to what the market thinks is available (or what it wants) vs. what's really working.

64-bit is imminent.

G
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
auricle

Post by auricle »

siriusbliss wrote:
auricle wrote:Interestingly, I sent an email to them just to see if they will shed any light on the release.

I got this reply today:
Hi Daniel,

we have only the internal beta with ASIO working, but
no WAVE, Sampler, VDAT and some other driver related things.

We think we can have a version ins about
one month.

Regards,
Ralf

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards
Dipl.-Ing. Ralf Dressel
A couple of things of interest here. 1) It was exactly the same reply I got from them a couple of months ago 2) It's from Ralf!! Didn't he leave??
There's another Ralf at SC.
Nice guy.

Greg

aaaah! I see! Thanks, Greg!
VeryPSB

Post by VeryPSB »

6 months later... still no sign of 64-bit drivers.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

VeryPSB wrote:6 months later... still no sign of 64-bit drivers.
They may be closer than we think :wink:

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
garyb

Post by garyb »

the drivers are done. asio's working right?

the problem is that IT'S NOT JUST DRIVERS!
the program must be rewritten for 64bit. ALL of it.
it's not at all an impossible job, but it IS a big one. there are only a few coders in the whole world who can do this job. it WILL get done. be patient. if you know the value of a Scope card, you'll be happy to wait, knowing that a handfull of guys can only work so fast...

btw-S/C hasn't even been making PCI cards lately(though they're not officially discontinued) and yet there IS a 64bit version imminent. this shows the goodwill from the company to it's userbase, keeping the old hardware current, keeping the value in the cards when they could be spending their time looking for a way to MAKE you buy something new. if they just said, "no 64bit pci, this is the new product it is 64bit" it would suck more than "it'll be free when we finish it". there are even people who have the money, but think it ridiculous to pay for the v5 upgrade because they think the company should spend money keeping them happy forever instead of making money selling something new, since the program must be rewritten anyway. it's time to get real folks! people should be speaking very kindly about S/C(Holger and Juergen) for caring about this product and supporting a really high quality product, one that's meant to last years and is supported so, even though it's not the most profitable way to operate(making disposible stuff that needs to be replaced every time there's a new os is). there are some real spoiled babies who have no idea of how the real world works, where things cost and everybody has valid needs to be met and families to feed.

Scope is a REAL tool, it's for grownups, although it's a wonderful toy....little children need to be pretty mature to play with it, unless they just would really rather be brats. i would guess that a brat will find it all too challenging anyway and will quit after a few months of anything. such a person is better off with m-audio. they can buy a new pacifier every 6 months and always have the flavor of the day.

i don't think that many know what it took to make music just 20 years ago. how spoiled by a good thing so many are, and yet what has happened to music?
at0m

Post by at0m »

garyb, i'm all with you there. I just think it's incredible I can still use >10 year old PCI cards in my machine, and run a decent OS with it. Still using WinXP, and I will be for another while - I upgraded to 4GB RAM a couple months ago, and if not for a friend recording his VDrums here, I'd still be on 2GB. If all remains stable, it can go another couple years without worries... If I'd really need extra RAM (I see no other reason to go to a 64bit OS), I'd just get a KVM-switch and a card with a bunch of ADAT IO and lightpipe between the 2 machines, like Valis and others here do. So I do not see what the 64bit stress is all about...

Maybe people can get ProTools, try selling their old boxes and buy brand new hardware for each new Avid release. A friend who's doing P.A. for some of .be's finest bands, recently got this ProTools Venue-D system (or, actually, 2 of them, one for one the road and a spare one to practice at home;). Avid were so kind to disable all automation in that 100k$ system, and they release the same exact machinery for studio works, with automation but without room calibration tools etc. They wouldn't want users to use the same table for both. Now isn't that kind of them, protecting their product via (IIUC) some silly firmware difference to make sure people don't use it for both live and studio situations? Wanna get pro, pay like a pro. These Avid guys are worse than M$, eh!

Anyways, back to Scope, I think it's ridiculous to grow expectations on promises, announcements or projections - instead of on what's actually out there, what actually works NOW. Get whatever works for you, not what you think might work some day in the uncertain future. Scope's worked great for me since '98-'99, and I'm sure it will for years to come. It could work for anyone just the same, even when you get your MacBook Pro or whatever is fashionable today, add some ADAT and you have an incredible box of hardware probably capable of much more that the rest of the rack units you got stacked up in your room.

Now, get on with it, and make some music :D
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

+1.. Well put Gary. We are definitely living in times where people expect everything for free and Rome to be built in a day. And grab their baseball bat when they're not. Some cannot distinguish gifts from what's owed, and ungratefullness seems to spread more and more.
kwild

Post by kwild »

Read the first post of that topic to discover when the beta will be released...or maybe the next xmas...anyway,soon,very soon!

:lol:

Mobile Suit ERA / Nu*ragika Recordz

http://myspace.com/mixmasterservice
http://myspace.com/_kwild
http://myspace.com/balentia
astroman

Post by astroman »

at0m wrote:... If I'd really need extra RAM (I see no other reason to go to a 64bit OS), I'd just get a KVM-switch and a card with a bunch of ADAT IO and lightpipe between the 2 machines, like Valis and others here do. ...
While I could go the 2-machine-route based on Scope/Pulsar hardware, I recently picked up a RME 9652 Project Hammerfall (non-DSP version) for that purpose.
Dead cheap cause one of the transmitters was damaged (easy repair).
The card is about as old as a Pulsar and has XP drivers from 2005 - so everything should be fine, shouldn't it ? :D

It's far from that - and if I had to rely on this card alone for recording and monitoring (I have an A16 and and an Adat for conversion), I'd be totally f*cked.
There is always somthing that does NOT work.
I didn't even get a (mono) guitar signal properly monitored in all those (Asio) stereo pairs. SAW Studio refused to recognize the Asio driver at all, the installer seems to to suggest wrong hardware, some streaming content hicks up, some not... etc etc.

To make it short: this card is unusable, while any Scope board that age would integrate perfectly into XP.
Honestly, I didn't expect that from an RME product...
Ok, this particular model was replaced by the DSP Hammerfalls rather quickly - for good reasons, obviously ... :P
RME's current product line most likely doesn't have these flaws.

Yet it shows the quality of work put in the original Scope hardware/software design as Gary and At0m describe it above.

cheers, Tom
menno

Post by menno »

Gary, I agree with most of what you said, as I have said it myself. Only the other week I was recommended Xite to a friend and saying how fantastic it was Sonic Core are still releasing updated software for the PCI cards.

However you need to take into account that Sonic Core set user expectations when they said that 64bit beta would be released before Christmas.

I for one, based upon that, delayed my new PC software installation, deciding to do with a temporary 32bit minimalist install until the 64 bit drivers were released. I even emailed SC to clarify the expected release, and checked I could take part in the beta. Of course this was my own decision, so I'm not blaming anyone. But naturally it is a tad frustrating to have such a long delay, and no real communication by SC to give an indication that it would take a lot longer.

I think SC are great, but they could do a better job of setting user expectations. :)
astroman

Post by astroman »

you're absolutely right - except one tiny point: user expectations
better not mess with that at all, as you can only fail :D
it's more of a psychological item, dunno... SC for sure didn't want to make premature announcements.
I bet a Pulsar they've been talked into that... by endless 'but we have to know...' etc
People in general are NOT reasonable today, they act like babies (see Gary's post)

YOU show a reasonable attitude, tho...
but the company can't handle it properly, because they spoilt it by the first step already.
they had to - there is no choice. Once you start, you can't get out of it...

cheers, Tom
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

7 years with scope 6 dsp and still works nice. recently i got a poco 6000 and a ssl duende pice. now these 3 systems in one machine (intel dp35dp) n everything works very nice. in my case what im looking for is scope plugs as vst on sonar. if not i may switch to cubase/nuendo 5 as many ppl here find it worked.
thanks

** again 64bit will not solve the problem that ppl are thinking using all their vsti in one machine. there will be big latency problem if they want to use many vst+vsti on one machine...

** im thinking a rme card 64bit only for sampler pc (with 1gb ssd hard drive) connected via adat back to mixing pc 32bit.
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

It's funny how most people here are so conservative towards technology and protective as far as SC is concerned.

What do you guys do on a technology forum if even asking and wondering about something as basic as a new driver starts all these "nowadays people are this or that" "what do you need this for?" etc... type of responses ?

Upgrading is great. I7 smokes my previous setup. I kept it for so long that I had forgotten the joy of a super responsive system with lots of overhead.
Omnisphere is a great synth (and a ram eater) and 64 bits would sure be great to have.

It's not because SC have some great cards that you're not allowed to use something else.
While I like this forum's atmosphere and there are many great individuals here, I find the overall thinking a bit narrow minded and totally biased.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Im sticking with xp 32 bit at the moment as absolutly loads of companies are yet to catch up with, and be solid with 64bit.
(i do have a brand new pc with quad core mega powerfull cpu, loads of ram blah blah, but have decided to have my win7 64bit capable hard drive sit dorment untill next year)

i know for a fact that running xp at 32bit, things will be rock solid.

S-C and (Creamware) have always been good regarding customer service and the fact that equipment 10 years old is still supported is incredible to be honest..

In a year or so i will probably upgrade to 64bit and windows 7.. For the moment i want to work with stuff that is rock solid.

S-C are a small company. Be greatfull they are still going. There is, in my mind, nothing out there that compares to their stuff.

Long live S-C and thankyou so much for developing such amazing equipment and dsp software. Im a happy owner of a new xite-1. :) :D owned the pci cards before hand, and i could not live without their products and tools in my studio. They quite simply whipe the floor of any other company, god knows why they dont rule the world, but there we go hey..
Last edited by Liquid EDGE on Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I think I will get a backer to buy S|C and then make shitloads of XITE-1 half rack juniors.
This will force all of you Cro-Magnons to break down and spend some money for further R & D.
This way you guys can keep your 1GHz Coppermines alive, and the braver souls can advance onto 64bit Prescott DAW's...... :lol:
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

Cro-Magnons !! LOL Jimmy.

:P

Ps : who's that 19th century romantic looking playboy on your avatar ?
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote::lol:
I think I will get a backer to buy S|C and then make shitloads of XITE-1 half rack juniors.
This will force all of you Cro-Magnons to break down and spend some money for further R & D.
This way you guys can keep your 1GHz Coppermines alive, and the braver souls can advance onto 64bit Prescott DAW's...... :lol:
grunt, grunt, fart, grunt....ooog, ooog...

dawman

Post by dawman »

Remember when Mel Gibson was stuck in the laundry chute in the movie Conspiracy Theory and Julia Roberts said that Patrick Stewart claimed a Dog bit off his nose...........???
Then Mel Gibson looked up at her and said ...................AARRRRRFFFF... :lol:

BTW the Avatar is a recent ad for the Bellagio where the Gay Bastards made me look young.
I prefer reality but gladly accepted the jpeg....
When you think about it though an older Pianist usually equates with experience, but here in Vegas everything is a lie, including your paycheck, conversations with Waittail Cocktresses, etc..
I look like one of those St. Tropez Bacarat dealers who use a heavy accent and say " Banco."
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

Well, I'm glad you live far away from here.
Nothing more annoying than a good looking guy, with a good dose of humour that can play piano.
garyb

Post by garyb »

again, lost in my rant is that it is NOT JUST THE DRIVER at stake. the WHOLE program must be rewritten for EVERY new os. that is the delay. a program that literally NO ONE else in the business can write, must be rewritten. it's a big job and for the most part it's for free. people should stop being so selfish, in general...