SCOPE 64 Bit beta..........?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

bosone

Re: SCOPE 64 Bit beta..........?

Post by bosone »

let's hope so!
menno

Post by menno »

by Christmas!
time_chase

Post by time_chase »

damn, i guess there wont be noah 64bit software/drivers, sigh..

looks like i'll be stuck on 32bit scope... looking to migrate to server 2003 enterprise to test out the 8gig ram i've got. Currently running XP with a 4gig superdisk ramdisk.

what's the 64bit landscape these days? is there alot of 64bit audio software? any speed benefits?
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

time_chase wrote:damn, i guess there wont be noah 64bit software/drivers, sigh..

looks like i'll be stuck on 32bit scope... looking to migrate to server 2003 enterprise to test out the 8gig ram i've got. Currently running XP with a 4gig superdisk ramdisk.

what's the 64bit landscape these days? is there alot of 64bit audio software? any speed benefits?
No increase in speed. Just access to more RAM in a Windows 7 environment for such as use of big ROMpler/Samplers
64-bit drivers (or mostly 32-bit for compatibility in 64-bit environments) are still trickling in.

64-bit Scope is imminent.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

siriusbliss wrote:
time_chase wrote:damn, i guess there wont be noah 64bit software/drivers, sigh..

No increase in speed. Just access to more RAM in a Windows 7 environment for such as use of big ROMpler/Samplers
64-bit drivers (or mostly 32-bit for compatibility in 64-bit environments) are still trickling in.

Greg
mmm, I think Scope could have better sampler even with 32bit mode. Gigastudio, Halion, Kontakt etc..., load into ram only a part of each sample and streams from hdd when required. For example, when you play a piano, most notes are short lengh, and only some of them are played to the end of the sample. That saves a lot of ram, and also important, load and instrument is very quick, while on STS you have to wait aboute a minute to load a big piano. Having lot of ram on STS should be nice, but how much should take to load 3g of samples? You should be waiting 4 o 5 min for loading your instruments? I see not logical. I should be happy with a Giga, Halion type sampler that streams from hdd on Scope, why not 3rt party make no one? I want to go for Xite-1, but is semi-complete setup without decent samplers. Scope have a lot of synths, but that´s for some type of music, but if you want to have some real sampled drums, piano, and many other instruments the samplers are needed.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

lagoausente wrote:
siriusbliss wrote:

Greg
mmm, I think Scope could have better sampler even with 32bit mode. Gigastudio, Halion, Kontakt etc..., load into ram only a part of each sample and streams from hdd when required. For example, when you play a piano, most notes are short lengh, and only some of them are played to the end of the sample. That saves a lot of ram, and also important, load and instrument is very quick, while on STS you have to wait aboute a minute to load a big piano. Having lot of ram on STS should be nice, but how much should take to load 3g of samples? You should be waiting 4 o 5 min for loading your instruments? I see not logical. I should be happy with a Giga, Halion type sampler that streams from hdd on Scope, why not 3rt party make no one? I want to go for Xite-1, but is semi-complete setup without decent samplers. Scope have a lot of synths, but that´s for some type of music, but if you want to have some real sampled drums, piano, and many other instruments the samplers are needed.
Yes, this has been discussed many times in other threads.

A big new juicy STS sampler would be nice. At some point I can see it happening.

With Xite many powerful things are now possible, including IMO big Eventide or Lexicon type effects/delays.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
MMC

Post by MMC »

When S|C will also be on the market in the future, 64 Bit is a MUST!
The most Production Applications will be released only in 64 bit-versions!
There is no way around. 64 bit IS the future! Basta!
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

MMC wrote:When S|C will also be on the market in the future, 64 Bit is a MUST!
The most Production Applications will be released only in 64 bit-versions!
There is no way around. 64 bit IS the future! Basta!
The future is a near worldwide economic globlal crash like 1929, probably this summer,and depresion till 2012, no recover till 2018 (offtopic?,maybe) maybe 64bil will be the less worries will have. :cry:
garyb

Post by garyb »

could be....
anyway, there'll definitely be a 64bit version before then...
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

garyb wrote:could be....
anyway, there'll definitely be a 64bit version before then...
That´s nice, I hope will can save enough to the Xite this months, than if I have to became farmer.. working for subsistence maybe will have more free time I ever had before to make music :lol:
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

"The most Production Applications will be released only in 64 bit-versions!"

Soon :D

I hope people realize that changing to Scope 64-bit isn't a magical way to access >4gb of RAM on their daws. If you install Ableton Live, installing it on a 64 bit OS with 64-bit Scope drivers only gives you access to 32bit plugins, and you still have a 4 gb limit.

When Live is upgraded to 64-bit, you would need to update all your 32bit plugins to make Live recognize it.

So there's more than mere drivers needed :)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
kwild

Post by kwild »

next to nothing wrote:"The most Production Applications will be released only in 64 bit-versions!"

Soon :D

I hope people realize that changing to Scope 64-bit isn't a magical way to access >4gb of RAM on their daws. If you install Ableton Live, installing it on a 64 bit OS with 64-bit Scope drivers only gives you access to 32bit plugins, and you still have a 4 gb limit.

When Live is upgraded to 64-bit, you would need to update all your 32bit plugins to make Live recognize it.

So there's more than mere drivers needed :)
Well that's not true.The real problem with win xp 32 bit is not the 4gb limit but the (most important) limit of 1,7/2 GB allocation per process of that OS!
Example.On win XP x32 Cubase can not acess more than 1,7GB of memory even if your x32 system have 3,2 gb of "free" memory.
After that limit Cubase goes crazy (depending on wich vst's you have loaded in the project) first you got GUI corruption and,after that...crash.
With win 7 64BIT you can still use an x32 application but (more!) you can access all the memory!
I've switch with Win 7 x64 just some months ago and after the terrible experience with Cubase x64 i've try Cubase x32 and all works really fine!!!
You can acess all the available memory per process but actually i don't know if you can handle more than 4GB coz i don't have more memory than 4GB on my DAW.Anyway a project of 1,6/1,7 GB crashes on Win XP x32,i can go over 3GB with Win 7 x64 and Cubase x32 without any problem and with a system tha response still fast to the inputs,no critical swapping problems.
So as you can see a 64 Bit Scope driver have a sense even if you don't use x64 applications on a x64 OS.
next to nothing

Well thats not true either :)

However, my point was that the driver isn't everything. A lot of VSTi's will probably need to be updated as well if you switch to a 64 bit DAW, if you actually want to utilize 64 bit.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
kwild

Post by kwild »

Im talking about "real life" not about Microsoft's bullshits. :)
Well i know EVERYTHING about PAE and you can not bybass that "per process" limit using it.
Using /3GB switch you can allocate some more memory,nothing more nothing less.But you must take in mind that some applications (and some VST's too!) gives nothing but problems with /3GB switch.
In fact the limit of 1.6/1.7 gb pe process is reacheable only using /3GB switch otherwise you can not go over 1,2/1,4.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

next to nothing wrote:Well thats not true either :)

However, my point was that the driver isn't everything. A lot of VSTi's will probably need to be updated as well if you switch to a 64 bit DAW, if you actually want to utilize 64 bit.
Up until January I was running XP Pro with 3G switch and Samplitude with no issues.
Now have moved up to W7 with 12G RAM, and Scope still runs fine (Xite-1).

Also, theoretically with Scope we don't necessarily need VST's....so, the extra headroom will give us opportunity for more sampler/ROMpler space (including hopefully future STS upgrade) anyways.

64-bit drivers are not everything, but it's something that makes us feel like we're 'keeping up with the Jones's'

meanwhile...
http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2010/febr ... pport.html

Greg
bosone

Post by bosone »

you have 12 GB but i suppose you see only 3 right??

the point is that i already have sonar 8.5 and kontakt 3, which do support 64 bit.
if S|C will release 64 bit vesion that would be the main drive, for me, to definitely change my computer (an "old" P4 3GHz) with a quad core...

so, please, let the "next month" pass quickly!! :D
maky325

Post by maky325 »

If they are going to update STS i hope for better advanced pitch interpolation. STS is nice sounding until you try to go up or low on keyboard. Terrible just terrible aliasing. My guess is that they use standard Linear interpolation while they could switch to 6-point hermite or at least 64 point sinc. But even 6-point could deliver big impact without making DSP sacrifice..
soylent.green

Post by soylent.green »

Dear sonic-core,
with another case of "not-finishing-things-in-time" you've made me lose my last bit of confidence in sonic core. I've switched my system to 64 bit on feb 2010 and since then I'm not able to use my sonic-core stuff which I've paid for some ymount of money. I've switched for a reason, and believe me it's not "more sample ram" or anything else that has to do with producing music, which is in fact only a spare time activity for me. I'm not willing to partition my system to have a 64 and a 32 bit installation for the reason of you not getting things done. If I compare to steinberg cubase: They've released a 64 bit version allready - yes, it has some bugs and some things aren't working, but at least I'm able to use it - and now they have announced a followup with improvements in the area of 64 bit support. This steinberg guys look like a thriving company that takes care about their customer. And they're daring enough to say the'll release their update in Q2/2010 and most importand they have proofed that they're able to meet the promised dates (at least for the short time I'm a cubase user now).
It's no longer acceptable for me to wait, to wait without any official notice about a release date on the website, to wait for the latest planetz-rumor that usually says 'probably next month' to be proofed wrong again and again.
I know you're a small company, that becomes especially evident, if I take a look at unternehmensregister.de and check your financial statement of the last years . But belive me or not: with this kind of "customer relation management" and information policy you're not going to become any bigger. Suppose a willing-to-by potential customer checks out planetz forum here. What do you think might be her/his impression if he get's by surprise into the "when is xite going to ship" or into the "64bit driver" thread?
Now I go and check out some VSTi's which I'm able to use until the most probably very soon-to-be released 64 bits scope-drivers arrive...

Regards,
A creamware/sonic-core had-been-enthusiast
next to nothing

Sounds more like a priority you made than a problem sonic core inflicted on you. Good luck.
astroman

Post by astroman »

soylent.green wrote:... This steinberg guys look like a thriving company that takes care about their customer. And they're daring enough to say the'll release their update in Q2/2010 and most importand they have proofed that they're able to meet the promised dates (at least for the short time I'm a cubase user now)...
there is no such thing as 'those Steinberg guys' ... it's a department of the world's biggest supplier of musical gear (and some other stuff) Yamaha Corporation.
Backed by that dimension of resources their result is rather humble... and even then... they are still not able to provide the technology that works behind Scope...
I rather trade THAT functionality for an overhyped marketing gimmick, but that's in the eye of the beholder

have fun in VST universe, Tom :D
(btw I really liked some of your music, hope you can keep up it's (aural) quality)