Best way to install Scope 5 from 4.5

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

sonicstrav

Best way to install Scope 5 from 4.5

Post by sonicstrav »

I haven't installed Scope 5 on my main music partition - as I have a lot of 3rd party stuff in my existing installation, what is the quickest and best way to go to Scope 5

Do I ?
1) Copy preset / instrument / dsp folders from Scope 4.5 to a separate folder - then uninstall scope 4.5
2) Run the installer for Scope 5
3) Paste folders from Scope 4.5 into 5 installation - where file is newer in 5 installation it will not be replaced - so only extra files will go in Scope 5

something like that......??
Janni

Re: Best way to install Scope 5 from 4.5

Post by Janni »

strav100 wrote:3) Paste folders from Scope 4.5 into 5 installation - where file is newer in 5 installation it will not be replaced - so only extra files will go in Scope 5
That sounds good to me, but can't confirm. It's just what I planned to do when I FINALLY get some time ;-)
I think it's important to rename or zip the 'original' v4.5 to avoid key/device/dsp-file conflicts...
At least if you want to load v4 projects...
Btw, is there an official way to install v3 oxes with the latest v5 release?
-/-
garyb

Post by garyb »

do NOT copy dsp files unless its a device that requires it when you try to use it, and check the S/C ftp site for new install files first.

v5 is self contained. you can't use both v4 and v5 installs on the same machine....
Janni

Post by Janni »

Thanks gary! ;-)
Wouldn't it be the same result, because only additional files would be pasted?
Or are there any files which do not exist in v5 and cause problems?
-/-
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, files that aren't needed, or that have been changed....
Atomic Marshmallow

Post by Atomic Marshmallow »

garyb wrote:
v5 is self contained. you can't use both v4 and v5 installs on the same machine....
Hi,

So does that mean I have to uninstall version 4.5 before installing version 5?

I am still trying to get my head around 4.5. Should I bother upgrading to version 5 yet, or should I wait it out a bit and stay with what I have now?

Thanks
JyGius

Post by JyGius »

Hi all..

Probably a stupid question...but...
If I have two partitions, both with 4.5, can I install the v5 on one of the two?

Many thanks.

Bye..
Atomic Marshmallow

JyGius wrote:Hi all..

Probably a stupid question...but...
If I have two partitions, both with 4.5, can I install the v5 on one of the two?

Many thanks.

Bye..
All I can tell you is my experience.

I tried installing version 5. I renamed my 4.5 folder in the hope that I could revert back to 4.5 if 5 didn't work. Unfortunately Scope 5 did not agree with my PC at all. It was unusable. Constant crackles and pops even at really high latency settings. Not only that, I found the black look quite depressing. Is there a skin available? The look of 4.5 is much, much nicer. Nevertheless, 5 was unusable so a shame I haven't been able to hear the new effects. The real bummer was that 4.5 was unusable after installing 5, even when I uninstalled it. From memory, reinstalling 4.5 didn't work. Luckily for me, I managed to revert back to 4.5 by reinstalling an Acronis image I made of my system before installing version 5. Acronis has often saved me in the past.

Maybe now that I have 3 gb of RAM instead of 1.5 could solve the crackle problem I had, but 4.5 didn't experience problems and 1.5 of RAM should still have been enough. I myself will stay clear of 5 until I feel confident it will work on my setup and until they make it look less dark. But why would I have the crackles and pops? Am I missing much in Scope 5? Are the new effects that much better?

My advice is to make an image of your drive before installing version 5 in case it goes wrong.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

i think a good troublshooting session is in order Atomic Marshmallow, as i haven't heard of anyone else having this problem (other problems but not this one). i like the grey, it calms my retina. i only have 2GB of RAM, i think it's something else in your system (but i'm no expert, garyb's your man).

i think Scope 5 is definitely worth having.
Atomic Marshmallow

Mr Arkadin wrote:i think a good troublshooting session is in order Atomic Marshmallow, as i haven't heard of anyone else having this problem (other problems but not this one). i like the grey, it calms my retina. i only have 2GB of RAM, i think it's something else in your system (but i'm no expert, garyb's your man).

i think Scope 5 is definitely worth having.

No doubt you are right. But where do I start? I know my RAM is all fine. I got that recently fixed up. Where do I look next? I find it strange that my 1.8 Ghz + 1 Gb RAM 6 year old Centrino laptop is significantly more CPU friendly with a similar project running than my almost 7 year old 3.06 Ghz Pentium 4 + 3 Gb RAM desktop and Scope system.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

rename 4.5 folder to 4.5_bak (or whatever).
Do a clean install of V5 and, if you prefer to have it load at bootup, then let it install normally.
THEN, over time, you can copy or move over devices from 4.5.

Make sure you have the latest RC release off the SC site.

V5 has been very good here on my main desktop.

Going to find out this weekend how well it runs on a new laptop :wink:

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3