My stab at trying to sound like Fripp

Showcase for musicians using Scope in their music. Only the 75 most recent music files are online. Older files expire off the server.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ElectronicaDub

My stab at trying to sound like Fripp

Post by ElectronicaDub »

Hi there, peeps. What do you think of this little piece? I'm making an extended soundscape piece, and thought it needs a bit of Fripp at some point. I can't afford to hire him, so I thought I'd have a go myself.

Chris
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

netguyjoel

Re: My stab at trying to sound like Fripp

Post by netguyjoel »

Nice piece. IMHO...yes, you have succeeded. Fripp's work is so vast and wide...my personal favorite, was the body of work he did in King Crimson w/ the album, Three of a Perfect Pair...well done.. :wink: and for the record...I couldn't afford to hire him either... :lol:
Joel
braincell

Post by braincell »

Hello,

Robert Fripp is the best musician in the world and a genius. He doesn't start off playing that fast but builds up to it. The percussion sound doesn't sound like what he would use. I would take that out or hit it only once and at a lower volume. The electronic sounds shouldn't loop exactly but build from one note at a time. Try using the free Elottronix VST plugin from this site:

http://www.uv.es/ruizcan/p_vst.htm

It is designed to mimic Frippertronics.

All the music has to build up very slowly including the guitar solo. If you can afford it, have a Sustainiac installed on your guitar and buy a Digitech Whammy pedal for the occasional octave up portamento effect.
ElectronicaDub

Post by ElectronicaDub »

There were no guitars involved, only synths.

Still, made a great noise, eh?

Chris
dawman

Post by dawman »

Excellent.......
I can tell you like expressive leads.
The hard panned splash cymbal is well placed, being out of the way allowed the synth dreams to travel w/o interruption........brilliant. Hendrix's producer did such pannings to great effect.
I don't have any suggestions other than doubling your instances of the lead.
Just as an experiment, use 2 instances, and use an amount of 1 as a PBend on #1,and then on instance #2 use an amount of 2 in the PBend and you can get really wide stretchy string sounds.................just a though.
The recording needs nothing, it was a pleasure to listen to, and synth guitars are so much better than sampled/static ones.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

I like this a lot. Good mix overall.

I like the bed underneath, and the lead sounds like one of my guitar-synth patches :wink:

Fripp uses layered Eventides a lot nowadays, so you could consider trying extending the delay time and layering it with some more chorus. I like how you got a little of Fripp's fuzz-box grainy-ness in there.

Good job!

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
ElectronicaDub

Post by ElectronicaDub »

The guitar sound is actually a saw wave patch on my old Ensoniq TS10 keyboard. I stuck it through an onboard distortion-phlanger-reverb effect and played it live straight into Cubase. The other sounds come from a JV1080.

Chris
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

ElectronicaDub wrote:The guitar sound is actually a saw wave patch on my old Ensoniq TS10 keyboard. I stuck it through an onboard distortion-phlanger-reverb effect and played it live straight into Cubase. The other sounds come from a JV1080.

Chris
what, no Scope synths? :roll:
bummer...

Greg
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Pretty close to Fripps's sound, that's for sure.

One important tip: The guitar bends up, not down unless you use a tremolo bar.
Fripp rarely uses down bends in this particular setting.

:)
braincell

Post by braincell »

That is what I was talking about. It's an octave up right? Or is it two octaves? You can't use it too frequently though and it should not occur near the beginning. I think he sometimes went down when he used a whammy pedal but I am not sure if he still uses one because I see a whammy bar on his new guitar. It is very important to gradually build the mix up. You missed that.
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Didn't miss it. I just listen to a lot of bootlegs of Fripp and can tell you for sure that he very rarely uses the downwards bend.

On the subject of upward motion, up an octave and, more frequently, up a 9th works great. The 10th usually comes in on the next looping point...
Are we listening?..
braincell

Post by braincell »

Good ear.
ElectronicaDub

Post by ElectronicaDub »

Heu, peeps,

I did that piece whilst having flu, which might have been the swine variety. Hard to tell. It was an experiment, so I value your thoughts on it.
It was recorded through Scope, but did not use Scope devices. Old gear can be made to sound good though? What do you think?

Chris