Stop Scope from asking to save unchanged projects

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

capacitor

Re: Stop Scope from asking to save unchanged projects

Post by capacitor »

Dstruct wrote:-5
Troll. This has no place on this fine site.

Next!
:lol:
The first action people should take is to remove cash from Banrural, and break the banks of corrupt people. #escandalogt
doodyrh

Post by doodyrh »

Dstruct wrote:Is there a way to stop the Scope software to not ask to save unchanged projects. That's just plain annoying.

-> load project
-> try to load different project

=> now why the hell is it asking if i want to save the changes? there were no changes made!
Agreed. Maybe there's some technical reason, but it'd be nice to get it fixed. But then they haven't fix any bugs at all for five years so don't hold your breath.

And, as you're finding out, this site does not tolerate criticism of the Scope platform. One wrong word and all the complacent usual suspects trot out their boring 'just a minor problem', 'works fine here' mantras. No pressure exerted on the developers at all so they've got away scot-free for years.
capacitor

Post by capacitor »

doodyrh wrote:this site does not tolerate criticism of the Scope platform. One wrong word and all the complacent usual suspects trot out their boring 'just a minor problem', 'works fine here' mantras. No pressure exerted on the developers at all so they've got away scot-free for years.
I'll call bullshit on this one as well.

The long time contributing membership is unquestionably critical of Scope, and in a balanced way. The people both of you are trying to troll are quality folks with open minds.

In before the delete :lol:

I find the aforementioned issue a MINOR annoyance as well, and would like it fixed - BUT this is so small on the Scope of things as to not warrant this type of abusive posting behavior on the part of both of you.

-cap
The first action people should take is to remove cash from Banrural, and break the banks of corrupt people. #escandalogt
capacitor

Post by capacitor »

Stardust, +1. I personally don't like it because I think that I might not have saved any changes. It is confusing - at times - but imo minor compared to other issues.

Depending upon the way the system is designed, it might not be trivial for it (the system) to know that changes have/have not been made to a project. To be safe, Creamware might have just said "prompt no matter what". Given time constraints, I probably would have agreed (but I'm not privy to any inside info).

I have an "outside the box" idea for fixing this which I will forward to S/C. Amongst other things, I've developed UI stuff, so I know of what I speak :P
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Dstruct, point made. Good point made. Totally agree.
It's a minor annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless. Hopefully SC will address it.
So that's all been said now - can we move on to other topics and quit arguing about it?

The highlight of this thread was definitely
The TOWEL!
:lol:

-John
valis

Post by valis »

doodyrh wrote:And, as you're finding out, this site does not tolerate criticism of the Scope platform. One wrong word and all the complacent usual suspects trot out their boring 'just a minor problem', 'works fine here' mantras. No pressure exerted on the developers at all so they've got away scot-free for years.
You missed the point, this isn't the direct line to the Scope development team, it's a community of Scope users. I don't see anyone actually debating that the dialogue doesn't come up at unnecessary times (when there are no changes made), nor that there aren't other bugs in Scope. This is a *user* forum, where we discuss issues and share workarounds, tips and so on.

But please keep this in the proper context, this fellow showed up yesterday and his first several posts are spread out over several forums about small (but valid) issues phrased in the way as to make it sound like his sytem was in total disrepair thanks to Scope's black hole of bugs...which sounds like a support issue to me. So pointing out that this may not be the most effective way to communicate with the Scope development team is complacency? Please...If you want to take it to the developers there's support mechanisms via SonicCore's site, phone lines and physical mailbox that might bear more results I think.

As users once we agree an issue exists, about all we can pragmatically do is talk about workarounds (aside from just pissing & moaning I guess?). In his latest thread Dstruct does even seem to have understood the message, beginning to phrase things from an inquiring perspective and discussing email SonicCore, etc. All part of learning to co-exist in a forum's culture and not run counter to it just because you're frustrated imo.

And one has to wonder if the ever tolerant mister Cooper would have shown up were it not for you guys throwing in the towel :P
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

beautifully said. thanks valis.
Dstruct

Post by Dstruct »

Just sent a huge list to the Sonic Core support 8)
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

doodyrh wrote:
Dstruct wrote:Is there a way to stop the Scope software to not ask to save unchanged projects. That's just plain annoying.

-> load project
-> try to load different project

=> now why the hell is it asking if i want to save the changes? there were no changes made!
Agreed. Maybe there's some technical reason, but it'd be nice to get it fixed. But then they haven't fix any bugs at all for five years so don't hold your breath.
This simply is not a true statement. SonicCore has not owned the rights to the SCOPE Platform for 5 years so it was not their responsibility to provide bug-fixes and updates many of those years. They've only owned the rights for 2 years and surely one can't expect the whole complex SCOPE Platform to be ported to new hardware, new software additions and all bugs fixed soon as they bought the rights and walked into the company? I think its reasonable to give them some time.

Also they (S/C) have issued some bug fixes iirc since they've been in charge. Any issues beyond 2 years ago would need to be taken up with Frank Hund and Use-Audio.
doodyrh

Post by doodyrh »

valis wrote:You missed the point, this isn't the direct line to the Scope development team, it's a community of Scope users....
That's fair enough. Sorry but I get wound up by certain dismissive comments just as others get wound up by certain styles of criticism. I guess some people are more confrontational and edgy than others. Must admit, after hitting submit I felt a bit like I'd farted at a Quaker meeting. :wink:

Of course this is primarily a community for Scope users as you describe - THE community, to be precise. But as such a responsive company will no doubt be taking note of its user base. In that respect just a little anger at its shortcomings is no bad thing. It's not open-source after all. Money has changed hands.

Anyway I've benefited a lot over the years from this community so respect to all those who have helped. Nowadays I'm more comfortable with native plugins and mostly drop in just to see if the update has arrived yet (although my card was given a completely new lease of life a while ago by a post here recommending cleaning the interface between the mother and daughter boards).
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

The point is though, that this simply is NOT a bug, flaw or whatever else you want to call it. There's too many complex variables in Scope for it to know if your project is unchanged. AFAIK, It only remembers what you tell it to remember in the form of saved presets & projects. It's just the way it works & I personally don't have an issue with it at all. If I did have an issue with it, I'd use another platform & different software, not come here & starting getting all wound up & narky about it. It may be a minor irritation having an extra click or 2 for someone who hasn't already saved their project during their session & decides to save their project immediately before closing down Scope, but if you've already saved your project during your session, you can simply close Scope & choose yes to save it on the way out. Not a bug & not a bid deal at all.
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

It's not a bug, but you could certainly say it's a design flaw.

You're plain wrong when you say the system is too complex for them to know if a project is changed. It was simply a choice (or mistake) the programmers made a long time ago. And at this point, it may be too time-consuming (but certainly not impossible) for them to go back and rectify the situation.

As a programmer of such systems myself, I know it's always a balancing act of features versus resources. At this point, I'm sure SC's #1 priority is ironing out A-bugs, and not reconsidering old design choices.

-John
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

You could say it's a design 'flaw', but I'm not convinced that it is. Like you said, it was probably more of a design 'decision' & one that may well have been based on the complexity of such a deep modular environment. If it would have been easily done differently in the first place, Scope would have history states, an undo feature etc (features that would be VERY nice to have in the SDK environment FWIW). As it is, I don't think there's a mechanism that takes note of every change made within every level of the environment.
valis

Post by valis »

doodyrh wrote:
valis wrote:You missed the point, this isn't the direct line to the Scope development team, it's a community of Scope users....
That's fair enough. Sorry but I get wound up by certain dismissive comments just as others get wound up by certain styles of criticism. I guess some people are more confrontational and edgy than others. Must admit, after hitting submit I felt a bit like I'd farted at a Quaker meeting. :wink:
I seriously doubt that some of the users here would pass as Quakers, but that doesn't sully my opinion of them :P . I also see nothing wrong with being confrontational when the situation warrants it (you might interpret my post that way as well) but keeping things in context and with tones appropriate to the size of the circumstances helps keep communities functional at least imo. Plus I think that the way these things are phrased can make the difference between personal battle lines being drawn, or an issue being discussed for what it is (operation of software that we use, not some set of ideals that needs to be fought over to the death). That and some consideration to others; not all users have stellar command over English (the main language used here), sometimes people have a bad day or too much coffee (something that fuels more posts than I care to admit).
Shroomz~> wrote:...As it is, I don't think there's a mechanism that takes note of every change made within every level of the environment.
Which would be a design flaw in some eyes, and a 'decision' in others? Bantering over semantics here :wink:
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

valis wrote:
Shroomz~> wrote:...As it is, I don't think there's a mechanism that takes note of every change made within every level of the environment.
Which would be a design flaw in some eyes, and a 'decision' in others? Bantering over semantics here :wink:
Well, semantics maybe have as much to do with it as scope users do - I really don't know. "I know nahthing... no comprende"
dbmac

Post by dbmac »

Shroomz~> wrote:"I know nahthing... no comprende"
Sgt._Schultz.jpg
Sgt._Schultz.jpg (18.18 KiB) Viewed 2056 times
valis

Post by valis »

Shroomz~> wrote:Well, semantics maybe have as much to do with it as scope users do - I really don't know. "I know nahthing... no comprende"
Well, coming from what "little" you know...imagine trying to implement something like undo globally in Scope...
dawman

Post by dawman »

These young rappers agree with Sargeant Shultz too.
By giving free performances it makes one wonder what they are really selling......... :lol:
NO COMPRENDE CABRONE.jpg
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

OK then:
test.jpg
test.jpg (34.45 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
Grrr, i can feel the rage!! :x :evil: i mean god, people used to have to clean tape heads, load tapes, make notes of knob settings and stuff and i have to put up with an extra mouse click, for the love of god make it stop...
at0m

Post by at0m »

Or even worse, keep one finger on the Esc button to deny and your thumb on the space bar to confirm. How bad can hell be after all that...
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio