i845 chipset troubles related to problems with pulasr2?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

flashvalley

Post by flashvalley »

Hey,

I'm having some (more a lot of) troubles with my asus P4B MB.
I was experiencing the clicks and plops from hell frenzy a while ago, so I deceided to reinstall windows98SE. I noticed that my Matrox G550 didn't get installed correctly. I didn't have directx features. After installing and reinstalling the OS, drivers, chipsetdrivers, pulling out my creamware pulsar 2 card, my scsi controller a million times I still didn't have any succes.
I noticed that the chipset drivers didn't get installed correctly. In the readme doc of the i845 chipsetdrivers, it's said that after the installation the following devices should be installed:
Intel(R) 82845 Processor to I/O Controller - 1A30
Intel(R) 82845 Processor to AGP Controller - 1A31

This isn't the case on my system. I have no idea how to solve this problem. I already contacted asus and matrox, but I still haven't received an answer or a solution.

Does anyone has any suggestions? I would appreciate any help on the matter as I'm tired of spending more time on this than making music with my Pulsar.... :sad:

Best regards,

flashvalley
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

I think you need to go to intels site and get the INF install utility(actually i think its on the asus CD as well) for your chipset. its because windows98se predates the existance of i845 chipset.
flashvalley

Post by flashvalley »

Well I that's exactly what I did. I've tried the install utility on the cd and downloaded the latest inf drivers. But without succes.
I even tried installing the inf files prior to os installation as described in the readme document of the inf files.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

did you try removing the current default drivers in device manager? then windows will redetect them, and you can "Select from list" and because the INF is there it should be on the list (show all)

sometimes you have to boot up in safe mode, then you will see(and delete) all the unused drivers in the device manager. when there is too many windows can get "confused"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: defex on 2002-04-14 17:29 ]</font>
flashvalley

Post by flashvalley »

Yeah but I never could choose the devices I need.
flashvalley

Post by flashvalley »

I'm starting to think there is something wrong with the Asus P4B Motherboard......

*sigh*
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Maybe with your particular ASUS P4B266... but that board does work extremely well with Pulsar under 9x/XP, one of my current favorites actually. As an added bonus, it clocks very well. :wink:
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Also be sure to check out this link here for the critical installation order:

http://support.intel.com/support/mother ... ffirst.htm

It's for the intel-brand i845 board but should apply to your ASUS w/ intel chipset as well.