tascam us-428

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

samuel40

Post by samuel40 »

hey guys i just picked one up and have no idea how to make it work with my pulsar 2 . can some one point me in the right direction i have it working with my sonar but am clueless at this point.
dblbass

Post by dblbass »

I've had one sitting around for more than a year, bot one of the first ones out. It worked okay for me with Cubase pre-creamware. But when I went to Pulsar, I first had trouble with USB and Pulsar (2.04a then) under win98 so I set the 428 aside.

I'm now running XP, Logic, and still of course pulsar, and I keep meaning to trying to incorporate the 428 back into the system, but that little project keeps getting postponed somehow.

If I do try, I'll let you know how it works out. FWIW the Tascam site has useful help and tips, and downladables which will enable you to use the 428 with a faily wide range of sequencers and other software.

Start here:

http://www.tascam.com/products/us428/index.php
samuel40

Post by samuel40 »

Hey thanks alot. i will go there. i just didn't know if i needed a seperate program to "tap" into the pulsar program or where to start but i will go to the site and check it out.

thanks again
dblbass

Post by dblbass »

If you try getting US428 to co-exist with Pulsar before I do, remember, the 428 is actually two devices in one : a MIDI controller and an audio IO box. Both tyes of data are sent in and out of the PC through USB.

In Windows (or are you Mac?) the 428's drivers and control panel dialogue are fairly complex. But basically the 428 will present another MIDI port to your OS plus another audio port.

The additional MIDI port aside, effectively you are adding another sound card (an external one) to your system. I'd suggest re-reading the Pulsar manual driver section, as well as doing a quick PlanetZ search for old posts, and bone up on the subject of secondary sound cards alongside Pulsar. I recall there being several useful problem-solving posts on the subject.

Might help you figure out how to do it.

Also, be sure you have a newish motherboard. People with older motherboards have sometimes found Pulsar finicky about co-existing with USB devices, but newer ones seem okay.

FWIW, I recall that for the few months I used mine my impression was that the converters on the 428 sound quite nice. However, if I get mine working I'll probably stick to Pulsar for Audio and just try to use the 428 as a controller.

good luck, mate
samuel40

Post by samuel40 »

thanks a million for the advice and information i had not thought of it in terms of adding another sound card, will let you know how it goes.