Got my RME RayDAT

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Shayne White

Got my RME RayDAT

Post by Shayne White »

I wrote to Ralf a few days ago asking if there's any chance XITE is coming out this year...and his reply (thanks so much, Ralf) was that while they're still working on it and it's not "on hold", there's also no guarantee it'll be released this year. Maybe, maybe not -- whenever they get it done. (Probably the Mac software they're working on, some of us are guessing.) So, in desperation, I went ahead and bought the RME RayDAT audio card for my new Mac Pro. It works just like my old RME HDSP 9652 did. So, here's the funny thing...I can use Scope again! My Scope cards are still in my PC, which will now be exclusively a synth rack instead of the main DAW as it used to be. I can also use my A16 Ultra again, which is a big plus...so, now that I'm not buying XITE, I'll actually start to use Sonic|Core's products again. :P

I might even pick up the 4.5 package now...who knows....

Shayne
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com
valis

Re: Got my RME RayDAT

Post by valis »

This is what I've been doing with my Scope cards for 3 years now, although my RME is a Multiface+Hammerfall HDSP PCI. ADAT & AES connects to the Scope cards for routing options back & forth, and everything's analog connections go to my analog mixer (ins, outs, sends, returns etc) for tons of routing flexibility. Both platforms have their strengths and together the weaknesses are not as much as they might have been otherwise (for instance the only DSP that RME products have is the routing/mixer!)
dawman

Post by dawman »

That's great.
Being w/o Scope must have been painful.
Too bad for Soniccore if they miss a Pre NAMM release.
I guess there's always Musikmesse '09.
Solaris in '08 will let the public know they are still in the game.
I believe when people see the power of the 6 x ADSP-21369's in Solaris, it will draw attention to the XITE-1.
I am sure they really wanted to release both simultaneously, that would been the ticket IMHO.
Most Pro baseball players grossing millions per year bat less than 500 average, so these percentages are still acceptable.

Keep Up The Good Work Brotha' Man Shayne. :wink:
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

OK...his exact words were:
Hello Shayne,

we are going further in optimizing and we do, what's possible to release release this year.
Sorry, butt impossible to give a more detailed or a fix date.

All the best and thanks a lot for the patience.

cheers
Ralf
...and after I replied to him and said thank you, he replied back:
Hi Shayne,

no, nothing is on hold, but it's so much work and we want to do a good
version.

My greetings to the planetZ staff.

Thank's and all the best
Ralf
...which ends up being the word we keep hearing: SOON. :lol:
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com
garyb

Post by garyb »

the best words from S/C really are "no, nothing is on hold, but it's so much work and we want to do a good version".

something good will be worth waiting for.
petal

Post by petal »

This is true, but I must say I find it disturbing that they still are not able to predict when they will be finished here 3½ months after scheduled release, and that they haven't said one official word in 3½ monts.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm a true believer in doing the job right before you release, I just like to have an idea about what is going on, and in this case that something is actually going on. Total silence from Sonic Core makes my mind produce disturbing thoughts...

Once again more information about what is going on would be gratefully appreciated - just a few official words is all I'm asking for. Maybe even a few teasers illustrating small parts of the prgoress would be nice and fueling the hype at the same time.

Am I really the only one who feels this way?

Cheers and best of luck to the hardwaorking guys at Sonic Core!
Thomas
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, and all that would be nice, i agree 100%.

still, the problem is in your brain, not the busy developer's... :lol:
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

ok we got some news. Shayne what you will do when xite will come?
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

The best things are done when they are done. nobody except powerpoint pinheads can expect or want an exact time of release of something which is made by human creativity.

"hey Einstein, when are you going to be done with that relativity theory thingy. boss says it should be done by Friday"
petal

Post by petal »

Well, I don't think your example is an equalent one. Lots of creative products are being produced under strickt deadlines, ask in the games industry if you don't believe me. And once again I'd like to point out that I am not trying to make Sonic Core name a date, I'd just like them to communicate a bit. Just a few words about the progress. I know they don't owe me anything, but they had scheduled release 3½ months ago, and since then not one single official word about anything. Lack of communication is always bad, in all aspects of life.
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

this is not meant to be offensive to anyone but, maybe sc should not have said anything about this xite business. I can't quite understand why people complain about them not showing up with the usual marketing bullshit. There is enough products out there so you can have your studio business/artist thing going and not wait after something that does not exist yet. This could turn out to be vaporware for all we know, and if your business/artist setup depends on a company's promises, I'm sorry to say that you might be thinking a little backwards. Shayne White got tired of waiting and bought another product, why don't you do the same. I guess it all boils down to knowing what you need to accomplish whatever you are up to, and stick with a program that will make it happening.
sorry for the rant, you guys will make it
petal

Post by petal »

I don't need anything - I'm simply just curious and interested, that's all :)
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

hell, me too :lol:
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

yeah, but these days I'm starting to have a problem with the 'the customer is always right' philosophy. I find it quite amusing that they are being opaque to everybody. Kind of like 'we're designing the shit and you punks should leave us alone, mkay?' but that's just me
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

I think the problem is not that it comes a bit later than expected... (~1year)

but that it was a announced at messe to be released soon, so the planetz members here are very entusiastic and looked from day to day for any news or a release and finally got a bit frustrated.

But from a realistic point: the delayed release time can only be good for users. Guess you paid 3000 bucks and have the feeeling that your system is not stable or problems with functionality or driver problems.

The system is intended to be a professional equipment, its not an SB Live! card. So potential buyers expect a strong and stable system. Else they will get a bad reputation as company.

And scope is such a complex system, a little difference in the new dsp chips instruction set can lead to a rework of many if not all of the CW atoms. thats nothing you do in one or two days. Then there is all the different new drivers, vista and pot. mac., eventually the new hardware layout.

And not to forget, after implementation, they have to back check and test the system more or less. This also takes quite some time.
I don`t know a single software that is bug free :P and the bigger the system, the more you can find. (spoken in general, simply look at XP without SP1 or Vista)

i think its simply the best to relax, enjoy the forum and soon it`ll be out. :wink:
dawman

Post by dawman »

The announcement and lack of a product has had beneficial consequences for me.
I decided to break out of my sideman position and become a contractor using 2 DAW's again and figured when XITE-1 was released I would have all of my keys and projects transferred.
So I look at this as a lesson learned, and thank them for causing me to program 24/7 for the last 8 months.
I now have 86 VDAT drum performances that have an exceptional quality inside of a Scope project only, but I have no use for sequencers which are unstable live, and offer lower fidelity.
I have had employess comment on how the drums sound better than the usual live drummers who perform there, as those poor chaps have to use these God awful plexiglass drum booths that only allow the cymbals to peek over the top and have to mic the bass drums which mostly are burned out lounge guys w/ shitty kick drums & pillows.....yecchh !!
I can hang till the cows come home, no problem.
I also look forward to meeting these guys at NAMM, and really would enjoy meeting the KeyMaster Ralf.
They have learned the hard way about annuncements and marketing.
It's the beginning of a growing company that will surely make more mistakes, but then again, I prefer those kind of mistakes, and a quality bug free release, which is why I am buying this.
I know these guys have all of the experience in their pockets.
I will be very happy someday when it's released.

Shaynes RayDAT was an excellent choice and is also 64bit capable out of the box.
I am sure when he sees the XITE-1 being used or demo'd he will jump again.
But I am wondering myself what to do with the old cards. They work great still and are 10 years old !!
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

that's brilliant X4L. Sometimes when things don't go as you planned it can be beneficial. For me it was breaking out my guitar and play... it's been 6 months now and to tell the truth I've never played 2-3 hours a day for that long. I'm enjoying it more and more too :) of course my level is not very high but the SC delay was worthwhile. This is the song 'Cry me a river' that I've just recorded on a cheap setup here

So guys, what have you been up to for the last year? c'mon tell us :)
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

petal

Post by petal »

I've been hanging out here at PlanetZ. Mostly in announcements hitting F5... ;)
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

:lol: I thought you did ;)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Dayamn Gordon.

That's excellent.
The Guitar sound you get escapes all sample libraries techniques currently use, and the mic placement captures all of the natural beauty.
Excellent playing also.

Let me go and see if I can compliment that beautiful natural sound on an Upright Grand.