Cubase 4.0 / GVI & LSAD

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Cubase 4.0 / GVI & LSAD

Post by dawman »

I like recording intricate drum tracks and C4 is perfect for that, but recently I have heard notes dropping out when I do busy hi-hat, or ride cymbal dubs.
I know the notes are there as they can be seen in the track editor and I heard them during the first takes, which are usually Kick & Snare stuff.
I set my polyphony in GVI ( Giga VST ) at 600 stereo voices and my Raptors never choke when using sustain pedals and Grand Pianos, so I know it's not GVI.
Does C4 have a MIDI Buffer perhaps where I can raise the amount of data coming in and out of the app?
My only work around so far is to not quantize the busy hi-hats and rides, but when using my hardware sequencer I never have trouble, and I am sure ppq of 384 in C4 is sufficient.
Anyone have similar problems using Scope cards and C4 for MIDI tracks?

Thanks In Advance.

JV
garyb

Re: Cubase 4.0 / GVI & LSAD

Post by garyb »

maybe the overdubbed parts aren't merged with the old parts. there's a setting for this, but you can also use another midi track and assign it to the same intrument for your overdubs....
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

I've had a similar problem with Cubase SL3.1. It was a ride cymbal, played in 8ths. There were some drop-outs, too.
One solution could be: make a second track with the same instrument and let it play the missing notes.
Btw there were also some drop-outs when I bounced this MIDI-track to an audio-track ... :o
dawman

Post by dawman »

Great Idea Brotha' Man GaryB... :wink:
Treat Cubase like a hardware sequencer. That's how I have to do it on a QX-1 as it has no undo functions. We would merge several tracks together before sending MIDI out to an SP12 or DMX back in the day.
Your trick works well. I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks.
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure, and you don't even need to merge the tracks since cubase can handle lots of 'em with no problem. :)

-btw sorry to miss your call, i was playing a harbor cruise....
dawman

Post by dawman »

I have discovered the problem.
Gigastudio's Kernel Level MIDI and LSAD.
I decided to dig out a C4 learning DVD and try some automation tricks and the new VST version of LSAD, Power Kits using the ASIO 2 drivers.
It seems as though C4 is not the culprit afterall.
I am now convinced that C4 MIDI's workflow and automation tricks are actually the best way for MIDI sequencing. Curve drawing, and automation tricks are a breeze.
Since I hate reading and prefer audio/video tutorals I dug out my Digital Doctor I bought 2 years ago and never really used.
It's a great way to learn Cubase 4.0. Plus the sexy lass's voice is perfect for keeping focused.