Dynamixer Expanded & Renamed

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Dynamixer Expanded & Renamed

Post by dawman »

It works fine as 32 mono/16 stereo tracker and is perfect if one wishes to have the effects applied to the ASIO2 outputs, therfore bypassing the inserts of the mixer. This takes up a large amount of screen real estate when the effects are applied in serial fashion, so I renamed the mixer (.). That way it's size is very skinny.

But when recalling the project there's no sound? So I reload the preset and all of the hours I spent tweaking the effects applied in the inserts, etc. Gone. :x Thankfully I have learned to save during the creation stages, I mean every detail, even if it means writing over the mix several times.

If someone could possibly try this and confirm I am not tripping, I would appreciate this very much. This is a 1 card DAW so I am trying to use more effects chains and a small mixer.

Here's what I have done so far.

Open the mixer's surface in a project.
Expand it to 16 channels.
Go back to make the channels all stereo.
Rename the mixer.......Blank, ( . )....anything small so it sits in the project window as a skinny Bastard.

Save and Re Open.

I am very curios.

Thanks,

JV
spacef

Re: Dynamixer Expanded & Renamed

Post by spacef »

- if you have a multicore PC (core2duo, quad...) try to resynch the samplerate to see if sounds come back.

- It could be the dynamixer/STM itlself , but it could also be the computer's fault: I recently changed computer and, using a Gygabite mobo, I have noticed that many heavy devices cause a pci overload error the first time it loads, and samplerate is lost, but - once the project is saved and reloaded, the error is gone (like a false alerts, that i think is due to the bad couple that scope forms with Gygabite - too bad, because i think they are better than asus stuff in many respect). This happens on mixers, synths, and anything big (from any manufacturer). The error is gone when I reload the project (and resync scope : but i actually prefer to save the project and restart scope).

- The other time i had a silent project with FB5, is when I forgot to activate the channels where sound was connected (DSP on/off button).
May be you have mutes activated on the mixer ?

- If it is not something like this, then may be it is the STM that you are using. so remove it and replace it with a new instance of the same mixer .
- If this still doesn't work, try with other manufacturers if it changes something.... (it should....)

- It is not a "board generation 1 or 2 error" (it wouldn't change much according to my experience). gen1 could be more sensitive to the pci-overflow "false alert" described above, eventhough i personnally didn't see a difference when i had also a gen2 scope (can be because of many reason, including cheap mobo i had, or because I was using ultra low latency on gen2, like the lowest possible, which puts more constraint on the pci bus)

Good luck
dawman

Post by dawman »

It is nothing simpler than the erasing of the name of the mixer and resizing it's GUI in the project window that causes this.

I have had the FB5 pop out before when maxxing out a synths polyphony, but removing and re loading the mixer fixes that. But once you resize Dynamixer and try to use it, it fails everytime. I believe this mixer was made to be used on a single DSP chip due to it's low DSP consumption or something. Funny thing, even with all channels expanded, as long as I don't erase the mixers name by trying to shrink it's size, it works fine.

What CPU are you using now? SpaceF getting a new computer is definately newsworthy. :wink:
spacef

Post by spacef »

spacef

Post by spacef »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote: I have had the FB5 pop out before when maxxing out a synths polyphony, but removing and re loading the mixer fixes that.
that could be because it doesn't load with "all on", so reloading it might have taken less dsp than before.
If you have the pci overload pop up (on loading the mixer), only resyncing really changes something (not if it is the dsp that is overloaded). I would regret the single-core pentium 4 just for this (it doesn't have such errors), but now it is much faster in all respect (i mean, scope , and big devices).
By the way, for dsp related stuff, one avoids this by loading the mixers (spacef ones only) as the first device when building a project (and activating everything if possible). After that, it can't be changed by anything new in the project (be it synth poly or else). That's due the way it is built, and when you load it as the first device, it really packs up onto few adjacent dsp chips as it was designed for. Of course, on a single scope card, it is obviously hard to really use an FB5 mixer (i mean, you only have 7 or less dsps left, which is not much for polyphony).

but well, this might be off topic....
Liquid Len

Post by Liquid Len »

This is just my personal opinion and experiences but : I never use the Dynamixer, I would like to but it constantly causes these kinds of problems, and I only get them to work again by de-allocating and re-allocating them. I use micromixers instead, I miss the built in insert slots (that save on screen space) but I NEVER have these issues with them.
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

space and dot are no good ideas for names in whatever appl.;
my guess is a fail of assigning parent child relation course of invalid name;
no access on daw for a few days but try with one letter for expl. 'i' to stay small and have a valid name;
still probl. ?

good vibes
spacef

Post by spacef »

myself i bet on the dynamic pads (i/o) things :-) something that gets loose ...
or the name, it is possible.
dawman

Post by dawman »

The E8500 is the best bang for a buck, and quite mature.....wise decision.

I am having fun with this 1 card DAW and a week off to fix little problems during the gig. But I must admit, Scope is super stable w/ Bidule as a host, and VDAT is the best sounding playback device I ever heard............period. It has a 96k shimmer in quality. Too bad it must remain in the Box to have it's beauty. But that's exactly what I use it for.

Dynamixer w/ a one letter name 'eh? I shall try it. I am recording more vocal backing tracks and was so happy I recorded everything dry, and master it live, as I knew from experience cackling Hens, always change their mind. But the downside is she is very intelligent and knows she can try different FX everynight which is turning me into a sound man. I have created a monster. All night everyone looks to me while I am trying to play and asks for more lows in the monitoring headsets, more delay, a new reverb, more ADT unison effects. more kick,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,etc.etc. I WILL NEVER DO THIS AGAIN !! :x
dawman

Post by dawman »

Brotha' Man tgstgs............You were right.

It requires more than one symbol to be recognized. I tried a single letter, or number....no go. Then went to 2 numbers, 01, and the size shrank, so I stored it and recalled it, and volia,.....sound reappears and even all of the effects stored pop right back up.

This mixer is only temporary as it is quite small on DSP for a 32 channel mixer for VDAT. But 16 stereo effects can be used in seraial fashion with zero problems. It will serve as a good PA for the next seven weeks. :wink:
spacef

Post by spacef »

stardust is da man...
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

In my second computer, where a Luna II and a Pulsar I are built in, I use the Dynamixer in my default project, renamed it in "Mixer", saved some space and had NEVER any problems. But it runs still under V 3.1...
dawman

Post by dawman »

Here's an update again. :lol:

I only tested the first 8 channels with the smaller shrunk size. Channels above 9 do not have any audio, but the MIDI features are still in working order.

I should know better then to stray away from a SpaceF mixer. :lol: ........Ankyu.

At 8 stereo/ 16 mono channels, and shrunk.............it actually works.
spacef

Post by spacef »

spacef

Post by spacef »

it could be the name in fact (i haven't tested, but i remember a discussion with Wolfgang R some time ago).
The shortest name length can be achieved with a dot "." or may be a "alt-gr + 6" symbol ( | ).....
there are other causes though (the one i know for having to solve it is to be found in the nature of the incoming signal, but that's really not what is happening here...).
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

sometimes I need to change the latency settings on plugins to get them to work again. (for example on delays with ULLI switches... )

sometimes plugins hang the audio and I need to disable/enable them.
sometimes I see certain knobs changed position causing all audio to be muted...

I assume some plugin you use is misbehaving...