Mackie Big Knob vs. SPL Volume 2/8

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ChampionSound

Mackie Big Knob vs. SPL Volume 2/8

Post by ChampionSound »

Hi Scope friends,

I just bought a Mackie Big Knob from Thomann about a month ago, because right now I always control the listening levels via the virtual STM2448 controlroom level knob. Not very reliable to adjust the volume with the mouse and this also means you have to get the mixer on top in order to contol it (if you have a single screen), oh well you guys know what I mean ;)

Normally, I read a lot of reviews and user experiences before I consider buying certain gear. Unfortunately I haven't done it that much with the Big Knob. By the way, I haven't used it yet. It's still sitting in it's box, as I'm moving in 4 weeks, and right now there isn't any desktop space to place it. I was planning to use it when my new "studio" in my new home is up and running.
Anyway, I read some experiences from people saying that the Big Knob colors the sound (somewhat). If that's really true, I'm not happy of course, one wouldn't want that, especially not when critically mixing (mastering) your tracks...
Is it really that noticable/bad? Of course I also read quite some positive experiences with the Big Knob..

The point is, Besides controlling the volume of my active monitors (Tannoy Precision 8D), I like the fact to switch inputs (scope mixer outputs, external cd player, and other aux sources), and possible future 2nd pair of speakers/monitors as switchable outputs.

But I believe the soundquality of the SPL Volume 2/8 is way better because of the passive components, so less alteration of the original signal, but then you can't switch between inputs. The SPL Volume 2 would have been great if I only had the mix outputs of my DAW to monitor, and nothing else.
I'm not sure if the SPL Volume 8 has switchable inputs. I guess the 8 inputs will be controlled simultaneously by the volume knob, but I'm not sure if it will suit my needs as it doesn't seem switchable (my wishes: multiple soundsources controllable by one volumeknob for my active monitors)

Oh yeah, I already heard some people who noticed that the M-Patch 2 has some phase issues when listened at low volume levels, so I don't think I'll consider that one..

Bottom line, should I not worry too much with the Big Knob as it is just fine, or would a SPL Volume 8 have been a better choice?

Any advice?

Thank you!

Cheers,

Darcy
Tau

Re: Mackie Big Knob vs. SPL Volume 2/8

Post by Tau »

I've been looking into getting one of those too, as I control volumes and switch sources using a 3 channel dj mixer. I did hear good things about the Presonus Monitor Station, it's my 1st choice so far, but I'd appreciate some more information on sound coloring and other details...

http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail ... oductId=47

T
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

Big Knob is definitely not passive, I would return it.

I've used the Presonus Central Station and it's very good. It is passive.

The problem with the passive Nanopatch/MPatch is that the volume pot is quite poor, and cannot keep the same response for both channels at very low settings.

Never used the SPL, but they tend to make excellent gear.
voidar

Post by voidar »

I'm using the the SM Pro Audio M-patch 2. Passive volume control monitor switch.

There is also the A-designs Audio ATTY.
Throttler

Post by Throttler »

darkrezin wrote: I've used the Presonus Central Station and it's very good. It is passive.
+1 on that one
plus it has a better d/a, gives you better definition in high and low end and a bit wider image, reverbs sound better too.
katano

Post by katano »

I'm using the control room module in scope :D
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Don't know about the big knob but I have a Mackie 1642 VLZ >pro< that I used to monitor thru but once I changed to direct out of scope to monitors it was clear there was difference. Now just using a behringer bcr2000 to control Spacef fp106 and mb4 levels works nicely.
ChampionSound

Post by ChampionSound »

Thanks guys so far.

@ darkrezin, You're right about the Big Knob being active. I wasn't aware that it could be such a disadvantage.
The thing is, my 30-day money back guarantee expired just 10 days now :(

I know about the Central station, but I found it a bit expensive (afterwards it might have been worth the effort for saving up), or the new monitor station could have been better too, soundwise.
But advertisements say that it's based on the Central Station, but it's nowhere clearly stated that it has passive circuit design too, just like it's big brother. What about this?

I'm too late to return it anyway to get a full refund, so I might as well go out and try if I'm happy with it, otherwise I could always sell it and buy a Central Station or Monitor Station (if passive) or at a 3rd place SPL Volume 2 (only for scope then, without being able to switch between any other inputs and outputs) instead.

PS I do have a BCR2000 and tried it to control the mixer. But without the MIDI feedback (2-way communication) setup properly, I get jumps in sound level the moment I turn the knob and the controlroom knob in scope has another value. And I don't really like the fact that I'm controlling the volume via MIDI + the fact that you digitally trim the signal, just as I do right now by the way by using the conrolroom knob in a scope mixer.

Thanks again for your replies so far! :)
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

You could sell it as 'brand new' if you don't take it out of the box & use it. :)
ChampionSound

Post by ChampionSound »

Hi Shroomz,

Yeah that is even wiser to do ;) I just thought about that myself...
I'm pretty convinced anyway that there are better solutions for me for the money...
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

ChampionSound wrote:Thanks guys so far.
But advertisements say that it's based on the Central Station, but it's nowhere clearly stated that it has passive circuit design too, just like it's big brother. What about this?
I researched a bit and it is not passive, there is a Craig Anderton review of it which compares it with the C.St. and one of the differences is this one.

I have the Big Knob and while functionally is nice, I don't think I would buy it again, the Volume knob started being a bit noisy when tweaked at lower levels. I think my ADAM S2A's need something better.
at0m

Post by at0m »

katano wrote:I'm using the control room module in scope :D
In Alfonso's case, having 2 powerfull active monitors connected straight to his Scope analog output, Control Room or anything else DSP based for that matter, used to badly influence dynamics: removing Volume reduces Dynamics, noticeable at -48dB for example.

If you have a similar setup and no analog volume control between DSP and monitors, you should really add some control: at the amp, at the monitors or at some hardware insert like a mixing console or Big Knob (which I found very expensive for what it does).
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

at0m wrote:
In Alfonso's case, having 2 powerfull active monitors connected straight to his Scope analog output, Control Room or anything else DSP based for that matter, used to badly influence dynamics: removing Volume reduces Dynamics, noticeable at -48dB for example.

If you have a similar setup and no analog volume control between DSP and monitors, you should really add some control: at the amp, at the monitors or at some hardware insert like a mixing console or Big Knob (which I found very expensive for what it does).
The mix volume and output (monitor) volume aren't the same thing, at least in my case. The fp106 is the mix volume and it's output can be captured in vdat but it can also be routed to another fader in a mixer and then this output can be sent to the monitors.
Throttler

Post by Throttler »

alfonso wrote:I think my ADAM S2A's need something better.
It's a pity to have such great monitors and not a proper signal to feed them :(
katano

Post by katano »

at0m wrote:

Sorry Atom, I didn't get that I think. Hence the question. So what you say is that if i reduce the output level for my monitors within scope (i.e. with the monitor output level in stm2448), I loose dynamics? Because the D/A conversion is done afterwards? What about digitallly feeded monitors?

To be honest, i never thought about such an issue until now. And if I interpret it right, one should set the scope output nearish -0db? even if i mix at -0db as irrelevance wrote?

Hmm, i'd like to test that, but my mackie mixer isn't meant to be a monitor mixer...

Thanks and Cheers
Roman
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

yeh. your mix level isn't the volume control.
arela

Post by arela »

I'm very happy with my SPL model 2489
garyb

Post by garyb »

btw-on topic,
i'd by SPL over Mackie ANY day for almost ANYthing.

but the Big Knob works very well. :)
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

For just 1 pair of Speakers i suggest this little fellow.http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php?opt ... view&id=24

I use it with adam p22a.For 49€...no brainer. :D
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

katano wrote:And if I interpret it right, one should set the scope output nearish -0db? even if i mix at -0db as irrelevance wrote?
Yes, since settings less than 0dB are reducing the bit depth.

Mark